Which part of the book impacted u the most?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
revathy sw
Favorite Book: The Wind in the Willows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revathy-sw.html
Latest Review: An Interview with Failure by Sam Yankelevitch

Re: Which part of the book impacted u the most?

Post by revathy sw »

For me, the scenes of the book which were most memorable were in the Blue Line after Gary stabs Michelle — the first time he watches himself in the video doing the horrific act, his experiences in prison, the visits that Sinead and Betsy Cohen pay him while he is in prison, etc. I also found the trial scene quite striking, especially the antics of Elise Lamb. Gary visiting Michelle's grave and running into her parents there was also quite an emotional and vivid scene.
Just an average book-lover bumbling through life :tiphat:
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

scaryeyes_25 wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 20:50 The most painful would be how Gary saw himself stabbed Michelle out of the blue. It was like looking but not seeing. I just can't imagine myself in his shoes at that moment. But what really hooked me with the story is during one of Prof. Buzzard's classes. He was able to teach me the multiverse theory that I tried to recall certain events in my life and started the what-if game.
I don't know what I would've done there either. But I would be steadfast on holding on to the truth, as the truth is always the right thing to choose. Or maybe I'm just stubborn like that. :lol2: I loved Prof. Buzzard's scenes, too! I missed going to school, so those were definitely nice. Also, I got to learn new cool things.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Vidhi Adhikari wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 11:59 I'm not sure about impact but the most eye catching scene for me was when Gary from the black line leaves a message for the Gary from the Red Line to save the Gary from the blue line. The whole idea of Gary at risk of losing consciousness with raised heart rate was an interesting setup.
Aah, I remember that! The whole thing was risky, too. I was wondering how could they possibly pass the message to blueline!Gary in time for his court hearing. I was worried I was going to hate how the author was going to make it happen, but I'm okay with how it went down I guess.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Rwill0988 wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 19:25 That Mary's dementia was written as possible sightlines into other word lines was very impactful. She was clearly frightened because she knew what she saw.
Aah, somebody finally mentioned it! It was really interesting; the author really considered every route that this phenomena could take. I don't know much about dementia either so that was nice to read about it through this. I like how the author connected the two things together.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

fridamadrid wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 19:36 Definitely the stabbing. I just can't believe anyone would want to do that to someone even if they thought it was all a dream. Got me thinking about what anger can do to people when they don't have a positive mindset and healthy coping mechanisms.
That was what I thought at first, too. But after having a couple of conversations here, I realized it was extra dark for us since this specific dark thought was explored, shown in detail, and was given real-life consequences. We all have this thought when we're mad but for this story, the author took that leap and showed us what it will actually look like. If no one died, we wouldn't be reacting like this.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

zainherb wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 06:59 I believe it was in the worldline where Sinead's mother in the hospital saw Gary and accused him of doing something that had happened in his dream -another worldline.
Because of her medical condition. It struck me that perhaps when we say people are delirious or having hallucinations, maybe they have access to another realm, another...worldline, that we have no access to.

Just a thought.
Yes! I love how the author was able to induce that image for us. This world that the author built not only gives us a possible answer for deja vu but also dementia. People with dementia in the story are probably living another life in another worldline when it gets triggered.
Kathleen Lavador

Soumya Chauhan
Currently Reading: The Haunting Of RookeryNook Manor
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soumya-chauhan.html
Latest Review: Portals by Jon Zimmer

Post by Soumya Chauhan »

It would be the time when the Gary from the Black line took over the Gary of the Blue line and killed Michelle. As disturbing as it sounds,it made me think that what if all this is true, what is our actions in the dreams do affect our fate?
Latest Review: Portals by Jon Zimmer
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Parahiyo »

Many parts of the book had an effect on me. But when Michelle was killed in the black line universe. It really shook me.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

The murder! I was impressed to see how humiliation can affect someone. I even got to think that it would be a horror movie after that murder.
Joy_cee
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-cee.html
Latest Review: Firstborn Daddyman by Frank Bailey

Post by Joy_cee »

The part that imparted me most was after the murder of Michelle. I felt pity for Gary of the blue line, considering how he would feel after learning that the woman he loved throughout his life was murdered by his hands without him knowing how he did it.
angelap5467
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelap5467.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by angelap5467 »

I was obsessed with the realisation that Gary had the same feelings and thoughts about objects and trains and the way the metro works, but had different emotional feelings about people. Don't know that just stick with me and it was fuel for another thousand questions. His automatic realizations or not so important kind of thoughts were the same in every worldline.
cluetop
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cluetop.html
Latest Review: Mysteries you can't put down by Brad Bennett

Post by cluetop »

I would say the most impactful aspect of the book for me was the idea of an innocent person taking the fall for another person’s wrongdoing. I’ve definitely heard stories about people being unjustly convicted for crimes before, and although this case was rather unconventional, it really resonated with me. It reminded me that I too could be at the wrong place at the wrong time and experience a similar fate.
Ana C Barrantes
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-c-barrantes.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Ana C Barrantes »

I would say for me it was Gary's accident and the multiverse theory as a whole. I had heard of the theory before, but the implications of it are impactful every time I see it on a show or read about it. I liked the way the accident scenes were used to expose and explain the multiverse theory.
Hugo_W
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyj.html
Latest Review: The Greatest Game Ever Played...Maybe by Otto L. Wheeler

Post by Hugo_W »

Soumya Chauhan wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 02:11 It would be the time when the Gary from the Black line took over the Gary of the Blue line and killed Michelle. As disturbing as it sounds,it made me think that what if all this is true, what is our actions in the dreams do affect our fate?
The thought of doing something in a dream and taking comfort in seemingly no real-life consequences is so eerie. It's literally being betrayed by yourself, later sitting there and knowing that, if you'd indulged less (dreaming or not) you wouldn't be in this mess. I really felt the horror when I read this part, and it surprised me that it had such impact.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I was really affected by the fact that Sinead would go to see Gary in jail. Nobody wanted her to and it affected her romantic relationship. I understand that she believed in the multiverse and didn’t think that this Gary was responsible. Still the pressure must have been enormous.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”