Multiverse and Variants

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Anil G
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Re: Multiverse and Variants

Post by Anil G »

Novela book wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 10:45 I believe the author chose to discuss only a few variants of Gary because he wanted those to impact the storyline. we don't know how many variants exist in the multiverse, it can be possible that some don't even exist.
Yeah, that's a good point! There might be a chance that other's variants don't even exist. You put a new perspective here!
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Parahiyo »

The variants are not in contact, so they should not be affected by what is happening in the different worlds.
NISSE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisse.html
Latest Review: Insights for Coaching Leaders beyond 2021 by Jill Flynn

Post by NISSE »

Anilllll wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 04:24 How can one believe that there is a different variant of the other and everything they do will impact the other also, but in this book, Gary's other variants are not much affected by the murder of Michelle and what about the character's variants? I think the author missed some of the storylines because he wanted the book to be well understood by the readers.
There were several repetition passages just to make the reader understand when explaining the actions on different worldines. This is when the author primarily focused on only one character. What would be the story like when there were several characters involved, and if the author had to describe different outcomes to their actions? That will be a difficult task and readers also will be having hard time digesting the story line.
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

Perhaps the problem is only when the worldlines interact. Gary would not have been affected if he had not known about another worldline. If he were tried in his worldline there would be no issue with another, so it is only the issue of lucid dreaming and the other worldlines getting mixed up that was the isdue maybe
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

This has been a great discussion topic. it's hard enough to follow a creative plot with explicit or hidden motivations in one dimension, it would be impossible for me to carry more than one dimension in my head. If I wrote all the clues on white cards, as some of the best detective stories do, I would need many packs of white cards and how could I lay them out to see unthought-of connections. I'm glad if the author was sparing me that.
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

The author is on the right track, as others also support the theory that the other-self will not be affected in some cases. But only if they are in the same world, whether in a dream or not.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I am not quite sure about this because what I know from this book is the other variants or what you call worldliness doesn't affect what the other one does. It can only affect in something like a dream, hallucinating etc.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think you are right, at least in part, because the book would be rather complicated if each character's possible worldlines came into play. I think there's also a little causal effect in play too. I gathered that the reader is led to believe that whether or not Gary does or does not get hit by the lorry has something to do with the worldlines. According to the professor, someone, perhaps one of Gary's friends (Buzzard suggests), believes that Gary did die that day. It leans towards this being the cause of the worldlines, but it is not actually stated. There's a short story by Ray Bradbury called "A Sound of Thunder" that talks about a time traveler who goes back in time and steps on a butterfly. This stepping on the butterfly causes changes in the time traveler's present day. It's sort of a lesson about messing with the past which also emphasizes how much of an effect one tiny change can have. So, maybe in addition to it being very complicated to focus on more than one individual, there might be some alternate reasons.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

I don’t think the author said the actions of a variant would affect the other. Rather it’s if one discovers this phenomenon and proceeds to control it through dreaming, lucid dreaming to be exact.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

I think what the author want to established is that each worldline is independent. And if each of them is independent, then their events will be independent too except one interfere. If this is the case, then the author did not miss anything in the storyline.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”