Multiverse and Variants

Use this forum to discuss the July 2021 Book of the month, " Worldlines: A Many Worlds Novel" (Many Worlds, #1)" by Adam Guest
Vidhi Adhikari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Re: Multiverse and Variants

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

Anilllll wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 04:24 How can one believe that there is a different variant of the other and everything they do will impact the other also, but in this book, Gary's other variants are not much affected by the murder of Michelle and what about the character's variants? I think the author missed some of the storylines because he wanted the book to be well understood by the readers.
You're right. Maybe the first book has been made Gary-centric to grab the attention of the reader and not confuse him. Plus, not adding more plot twists in the first book leaves more for the sequels which I'm looking forward to.
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Anil G »

Yes! That's what I thought too that, the plot twist is saved for the sequel of this book. It'll be interesting to read 'The Futility of Vengeance'.
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

yomide wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 11:11 I m not so sure about this. But as far as i know, the other worldlines (variants as you called them) are not really impacted by the other. What the author suggested was that the impact can only be made while lucid dreaming or hallucinating or maybe literally dreaming.
I agree. The worldlines became accessible to Gary only when he was lucid dreaming. Otherwise, the worldlines were not accessible to him. The worldlines had to be similar inorder for readers to understand exactly what was happening.
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Post by lavkathleen »

Anilllll wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 04:24 How can one believe that there is a different variant of the other and everything they do will impact the other also, but in this book, Gary's other variants are not much affected by the murder of Michelle and what about the character's variants? I think the author missed some of the storylines because he wanted the book to be well understood by the readers.
Uuuh... I don't think this was how the author intended the story to be. What happens in one worldline (or variant, as you called it) will not affect the others. However, the characters in the story found out that they could crossover to the other worldlines through lucid dreaming... and that's how all the mess started. If they don't do anything drastic while lucid dreaming or they don't lucid dream at all, all should be fine.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

yomide wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 11:11 I m not so sure about this. But as far as i know, the other worldlines (variants as you called them) are not really impacted by the other. What the author suggested was that the impact can only be made while lucid dreaming or hallucinating or maybe literally dreaming.
You're totally right. I think OP was confused about the plot? I clarified it for them. It has to be lucid dreaming, meaning they have to be aware that they are dreaming and therefore can control the events that will follow.
Kathleen Lavador

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Anilllll wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 03:47 Yes, you're right about what the author had suggested, but I was comparing the multiverse theory to the author's story. The author emphasized most of Gary's worldlines. I hope the author has put some more character's worldlines in the sequel of this book!
I'm still confused about your questions, to be honest. :lol2: Of course, he emphasized Gary, he's the main character, afterall. Also, we saw how different the other side characters were in the other worldlines. And since this is a work of science fiction, the author has creative authority to twist the science facts to make it more interesting and more fitting to how he wants the story to go.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

Anna Bookowski wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 07:21 As a matter of fact, the author didn't emphasize most of Gary's worldlines, but only a few out of infinite possible ones. Extremely small selection, to be precise.
And I'm not sure how the actions of one of the Garys would be supposed to impact the others while there was no contact among them. If the universe would work that way, that would be quite a mess... The only one he impacted, as @yomide said, was in the case when he was lucid dreaming and acted in the name of the other self.
I think OP was trying to ask about something else...? I'm confused, too. He said he was comparing the multiverse theory to the author's story. But yeah, there wouldn't be any effect on the worldlines unless the characters were lucid dreaming and did unspeakable things while on another worldline.
Kathleen Lavador

lavkathleen

Post by lavkathleen »

ROSEYANN wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 19:58 Multiverse works well when considering only one person impacting the other worldlines. Imagine the to difficulty involved in more than one of the characters impacting each worldline. The story would really be fast paced. Maybe intriguing for some readers.
Adding more characters and giving them major storylines wouldn't exactly make it fast-paced, although the author could do that too. I'm not sure if it would be possible, but I bet it would be difficult to write. It would be a mess to read if not done properly. But if it was successful, it could be more intriguing than it already is.
Kathleen Lavador

Venah Gitahi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-venah-gitahi.html
Latest Review: Steel Reign: Flight of The Starship Concord by Braxton Cosby

Post by Venah Gitahi »

Anilllll wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 04:18
ROSEYANN wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 19:58
Anna Bookowski wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 07:21

As a matter of fact, the author didn't emphasize most of Gary's worldlines, but only a few out of infinite possible ones. Extremely small selection, to be precise.
And I'm not sure how the actions of one of the Garys would be supposed to impact the others while there was no contact among them. If the universe would work that way, that would be quite a mess... The only one he impacted, as @yomide said, was in the case when he was lucid dreaming and acted in the name of the other self.
Multiverse works well when considering only one person impacting the other worldlines. Imagine the to difficulty involved in more than one of the characters impacting each worldline. The story would really be fast paced. Maybe intriguing for some readers.
That makes sense! If more than one character worldines will do some impact then it would have been a mess and to understand it will be a real task for the reader.
The author could have worked to make it both cohesive and interesting. Cut most of the low-impact scenes and plotlines, add in something new, or focus on something different. I don't know what it could have been. If I did, I'd write a book. But I think it could have been way better. And definitely a lot of work.
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Anil G »

lavkathleen wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 03:28
You're right. I think OP was confused about the plot? I clarified it for them. It has to be lucid dreaming, meaning they have to be aware that they are dreaming and therefore can control the events that will follow.
You may be right, but If they can control it then why Gary killed Michelle?
And if they are aware of the fact that they are dreaming so how will he take revenge and to whom if he's the only one who killed Michelle, in the sequel of the book?
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Anil G »

lavkathleen wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 03:35
Anilllll wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 03:47 Yes, you're right about what the author had suggested, but I was comparing the multiverse theory to the author's story. The author emphasized most of Gary's worldlines. I hope the author has put some more character's worldlines in the sequel of this book!
I'm still confused about your questions, to be honest. :lol2: Of course, he emphasized Gary, he's the main character, afterall. Also, we saw how different the other side characters were in the other worldlines. And since this is a work of science fiction, the author has the creative authority to twist the science facts to make it more interesting and more fitting to how he wants the story to go.
I got that clarification, I was comparing the multiverse theory to the author's story to see how the author had elaborated the story of worldlines! I've studied a little bit the theory of multiverse so, for me, It'll be amazing to see other characters worldlines also getting affected. But it would be a mess and chaotic!
yomide
Currently Reading: We are voulhire
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomide.html
Latest Review: The Scarlet Queen: by Mitch Reinhardt

Post by yomide »

I'm still confused about your questions, to be honest. :lol2: Of course, he emphasized Gary, he's the main character, afterall. Also, we saw how different the other side characters were in the other worldlines. And since this is a work of science fiction, the author has creative authority to twist the science facts to make it more interesting and more fitting to how he wants the story to go.
I guess what Anilllll is trying to do is plain comparison. If so, the author clearly cant say much more than he did about other characters given that he wrote from Gary POV. Besides Gary is the main concentration
There is no point in trying to please a person who doesn't apreciate me. Besides, why do I have to try and please anyone in the first place?
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Anil G »

yomide wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 01:04
I guess what Anilllll is trying to do is plain comparison. If so, the author clearly cant say much more than he did about other characters given that he wrote from Gary POV. Besides Gary is the main concentration
Yes, Exactly! The author can't do much about other character worldlines as it needs to be Gary to focus on otherwise it'll be hard to put everything in a manner to write it down that will understand by the readers nicely.
Thank you for the clarification😁
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

As far as I remember the death was caused due to black line's Gary's skills of lucid dreaming and other actions do not impact other worldlines.
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

Thats what my opinion is and I think in the sequel the Author will be using lucid dreaming a lot more maybe take it to next level to try and free convicted garry.

Return to “Discuss "Worldlines" by Adam Guest”