Review of “How To Make A Monster”

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of “How To Make A Monster”

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "“How To Make A Monster”" by Paul Glasco.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are mass shootings a result of the random possession of arms in the United States of America or the inability to find the root cause of rampage killings? How to Make a Monster answers this question and more.

How to Make a Monster is one spooky title. Ironically, Paul Glasco explains this "monster" in question as being the number of rampage killers and how society helps to forge this "monster." He also takes the reader on a tour to prove his points on whether or not guns are the problem and whether or not society forces people to be killers. He further posits that American politicians have a part to play in enthroning or dethroning this monster.

I have to applaud the thorough research put into this work. It is one thing to state a problem and another to state them with facts. Paul Glasco did the latter. He also compiles stories of some rampage killers with their individual histories. This must have taken a lot of time and is worth the hard work. Beyond stating the problem factually, the author proffers possible and workable solutions to them. This is the best aspect of the book.

This book exposes the awful value system in America. The movies portray a fantastic picture of the nation. However, Paul Glasco boldly puts the ugly side in writing so the whole world will see the ongoing malady. It takes guts to do what the author does in this book, especially calling out American politicians. I hope he doesn't get shut down by some high powers that might be unhappy with the content of this book. I hope they see the solutions suggested by the author rather than see him as a national threat.

Beyond the monster the author exposed to the reader, there were many educative aspects of this book. One of them was the clear-cut difference the author explained regarding some terms that could be confused for each other. For instance, in practical terms, I learned the difference between serial killers and rampage killers. I also learned from the book that psychopaths are born while sociopaths are made. This knowledge was beneficial, as I'd probably know how to help any individual in any of the categories.

The editing of this book wasn't excellent, but it wasn't bad either. Although I expected perfect editing work for a book of about 150 pages, I wouldn't penalize it for the few errors I found. There wasn't any part of this book I disliked. Therefore, I'd rate it four out of four stars. I'd recommend this book to law enforcement agents, as it would take them into the minds of rampage killers and probably help them solve cases involving this monster. However, if you're fascinated by stories about rampage killings and their effect on society, pick up a copy of this book.

“How To Make A Monster”
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Killing in a nation can be a result of several problems facing the country. I believe this book will open our eyes to better understand what entails killing in nation. Great review!
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 19blueofficial »

I won't lie. The title caught my attentive but I didn't consider it as spooky till now.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

This book will definitely be an eye-opener for a lot of us. Will give it a read for sure. Thank you.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

An insightful book by the sound of it. Thank you for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

Killing and rampage affect the stability of the environment. The book is an insightful one. Thank you for the review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Killing is a thing that should be seriously looked into by law enforcement officials, nice review.
Jydel
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading: Diary of a wimpy kid
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jydel.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Jydel »

I believe society plays a big role in what one turns out to be. The book sounds quite informative concerning how these monsters are created and how to help them. This a book I would want to read because it seems to offer a solution to a problem.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

I love books that expose societal vices. Good review. Kudos.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”