Review of SALES FIRST!: Growing Our Company the Old-Fashioned Way

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Review of SALES FIRST!: Growing Our Company the Old-Fashioned Way

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "SALES FIRST!: Growing Our Company the Old-Fashioned Way" by John Haugh and Michael Shaughnessy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

SALES FIRST!: Growing Our Company the Old-Fashioned Way by John Haugh and Michael Shaughnessy is an entrepreneurship book that tells the story of two chemical salespeople who created the colossal company ColorMatrix which came to generate more than 100 million in revenue. However, they didn't make a revolutionary product (in fact, they found a cheaper and more efficient way to add color to plastics).

This critical book features the two entrepreneurs, each giving their point of view in separate chapters. In this work, all phases of a company are discussed, from its formation, development to the sale of the participation of the two entrepreneurs. John and Michael have achieved the incredible feat of developing a company that generated over 100 million in revenue without investor money. Little by little, they learned from their mistakes and developed relationships that became key for the business to be successful. Besides, the relationship between the two entrepreneurs is portrayed brilliantly. Both make it clear that one should not avoid discussions and conflicts for a business relationship to be successful. Instead, they should be met with transparency so that no issue remains unresolved.

What I liked most about the book was understanding how the two entrepreneurs worked to make a profit but ended up creating jobs and helping the community in Cleveland. The authors don't want to promote themselves because they make it clear in various parts of the book that when they started ColorMatrix, they didn't intend to be community-oriented. Either way, it's inspiring to note that you don't have to be as evil as Gordon Gekko to be successful in the real world. It is possible to make a profit and also contribute to society.

Even the most diehard critic would have a hard time pointing out anything negative. Some people might say that the business model advocated in the book applies only to some specific areas. It may be accurate, but the point is that there is a plethora of advice that can be used in the most diverse business sectors. Besides, it's impossible to write a business book detailing how you've been successful in one specific area that applies to every business. As such, I consider the book pretty much flawless. The authors shared many life experiences and concepts that will benefit many entrepreneurs.

All in all, I rate SALES FIRST!: Growing Our Company the Old-Fashioned Way four out of four stars. This fascinating book demonstrates that you don't have to be a genius or create a fancy product to be a successful entrepreneur. What is needed is commitment and knowing how to deal well with people. Qualities that both authors have to spare. There are no flaws and not one single reason to deduct one star from the final score. Besides, I couldn't find one single grammatical error. I recommend it to entrepreneurs or people who want to start a business.

SALES FIRST!: Growing Our Company the Old-Fashioned Way
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

I am happy to read a review about a business. I would love to read this book because it would teach me more about business-oriented and also how to grow my own business. Great review.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

There is no free lunch. Anyone who wants to get rich without having anything has to work hard and be dedicated. This seems to be the case for these two gentlemen. Great review.
Mfopat Olympik
Currently Reading: The Unlikely Cowboy
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zakariaou-junior.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Mfopat Olympik »

I definitely want to read this book. Is about business and it's two people who have succeeded in business who share their experience. This book should contain a lot of advice for entrepreneurs. Great review. thank you for this shared pleasure
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

"Make a profit and also contribute to society" seems rare these days. I'm sure the authors provide invaluable advice.
-Amy
Hussein21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hussein21.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Hussein21 »

This is a good book for all entrepreneurs and anyone planning on venturing into selling and buying. It tells the tale of two friends venturing into sales and it contains a lot of valuable lessons and I'm glad to come across this book.
nishureading
Favorite Book: Atomic Habits
Currently Reading: How to Read a Book
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by nishureading »

I am happy to see this kind of review. I love reading biographies and this kind of critical eye about the making of a business is needed in my life. Great 👍review!!!
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Quite amazing how they started up a successful company from nothing. Thank you for an excellent review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Commitment and knowing how to deal with people: if this means building and growing a company the old-fashioned way, then I am all in favour of this old-fashioned approach.
Amprye
Currently Reading: The Autobiography of Malcolm X
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amprye.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Amprye »

I hope that this book provides good advice. My fear is that “old fashioned” ways of building a company won’t work in modern times. Congratulations on book of the day!
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

This sounds like an excellent book for those desiring to become entrepreneurs! The world is so technology-crazed these days that the old-fashioned ways are forgotten despite the fact they were successful! If I were in the market for a book of this type I would definitely want to check this one out! Thanks for the excellent review.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

This book presents a controversial yet intriguing concept in business, seemingly. I'm curious to know what it entails.
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. Two salespeople creating a company that generated over 100 million in revenue without investor money is quite amazing.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

This is an entrepreneurship book that tells the story of two chemical salespeople who created the colossal company ColorMatrix. Each this book to find how they employed a cheaper and more efficient way to add color to plastics.
The review is superb.
Congratulations on Botd 🎉
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

Funny coz I thought we just need to invent one innovative product to be successful, but this book says otherwise. Hmm, I'm intrigued. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”