Review of My Broken Soldier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: Asylum by Susy Smith

Review of My Broken Soldier

Post by khaulah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Broken Soldier" by Karen Page.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Six years into their relationship, Matthew and Karen were married in all but name when Matt enlisted in the Australian Defense Force. Neither of them had any idea how their lives would change after this decision. As Matt returns injured in both body and mind, he and Karen are on the verge of losing everything they've worked so hard to create. If their marriage is to survive, they must discover a new way to live and love.

My Broken Soldier is a non-fiction book that details the catastrophic impact on a family as a result of the mismanagement of a medical condition. Karen Page, the author, brilliantly illustrates the mental repercussions that troops experience during combat, as well as the challenges they face after returning home.

A story of growth and change, My Broken Soldier is heart-wrenching, sad, and uplifting. It paints a vivid image of the terrible cost of war, not just for those deployed to fight but also for their families and loved ones who are left behind. The author takes us into the nooks and crannies of an institution highlighting its flaws. There was an undertone running throughout as the readers saw something collapse. The author does an excellent job of expressing the contradictory feelings that military women face on a daily basis.

One of the novel's most intriguing features is its exploration of the consequences of war on mental health. Matt's battles with PTSD and depression are shown with complexity and delicacy, emphasizing the need of providing help and services for troops who have faced trauma.

My Broken Soldier brings attention to the psychological and physical toll that living with an injury and its inaccurate diagnosis can have on a person. It is as much about the hardships that returning soldiers face as they try to integrate back into civilian life. The writer drives home effectively the inability of these servicemen to completely "return."

My Broken Soldier can serve as an important book for understanding the issues facing service-members, veterans, and military family members. I didn't come across any grammatical errors in the book. It is impeccably edited. I don't have any negative comments to make about the book. It is direct, does not waste time, and is easy to read. Therefore, I give My Broken Soldier 5 out of 5 stars.

Page's writing is both empathetic and incisive, making this a must-read for anybody interested in the lives of soldiers and the consequences of war on individuals, military families, and communities.

My Broken Soldier
View: on Bookshelves
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

"My Broken Soldier is a non-fiction book that details the catastrophic impact on a family as a result of the mismanagement of a medical condition". Great review. Kudos
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like an intense book. I appreciate that the author addresses this subject head-on. Those who have faced combat situations often carry their burden silently when they return home. I hope this book helps families understand this delicate dilemma better.

Thank you for your excellent review and recommendation.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

Being a soldier is difficult. It takes a toll on their bodies, mental health, and overall well-being. I am glad this book bares the after effects on the soldier and their loved ones. My heart goes out to all. Thanks for the review!
Prince Arhin 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Prince Arhin 2 »

The book "My Broken Soldier" appears to be a powerful and impactful read. It is commendable that the author confronts the subject matter directly. Many individuals who have experienced combat situations carry the weight of their trauma silently, even after returning home. I believe this book has the potential to aid families in comprehending this sensitive issue more deeply.

I am grateful for your superb review and your endorsement of the book.
Ajibola Gabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajibola-gabriel.html
Latest Review: The Vitality System by Kyle Gonzalez

Post by Ajibola Gabriel »

I’ve always wondered the impact of war in the mind of a soldier.I think the world only shows the ones who become strong and don’t really show the ones who are broken. Loving a broken person isn’t easy and I hope they find a way through it.
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Oluchi23 wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 17:27 "My Broken Soldier is a non-fiction book that details the catastrophic impact on a family as a result of the mismanagement of a medical condition". Great review. Kudos
Thank you so much @o@Oluchi23 !
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

Wow this book sounds deep. some experiences really affect both mind and body. I think our mind takes longer too heal. Great review.
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

MsH2k wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 19:20 This sounds like an intense book. I appreciate that the author addresses this subject head-on. Those who have faced combat situations often carry their burden silently when they return home. I hope this book helps families understand this delicate dilemma better.

Thank you for your excellent review and recommendation.
You're welcome @MsH2k 😊!
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

ElinaT wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 21:32 Being a soldier is difficult. It takes a toll on their bodies, mental health, and overall well-being. I am glad this book bares the after effects on the soldier and their loved ones. My heart goes out to all. Thanks for the review!
You're welcome! Thanks for stopping by.
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Ajibola Gabriel wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 01:18 I’ve always wondered the impact of war in the mind of a soldier.I think the world only shows the ones who become strong and don’t really show the ones who are broken. Loving a broken person isn’t easy and I hope they find a way through it.
Thank you so much for stopping by @Ajibola Gabriel !
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Sara Bartolomeu wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 04:58 Wow this book sounds deep. some experiences really affect both mind and body. I think our mind takes longer too heal. Great review.
Thank you!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”