Review of Writing Professional Emails

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Review of Writing Professional Emails

Post by Kendal Low »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Writing Professional Emails" by Michelle Swann.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Michelle Swann wrote Writing Professional Emails: A Step-By-Step Guide with the aim of aiding professionals and laymen alike in upping their email skills. Not only does she inform the audience of where they are going wrong, but she also gives them the tools to fix these errors in a timely way. Email is an exceptionally important form of communication in this day and age, so it stands to reason that it is equally important to make sure you are writing them in the best way possible. I think this book could be a very helpful tool for people and businesses as a whole.

I found this book felt very repetitive. The author explains many times that ineffective or “improper” emails will make the sender come off as unprofessional or sloppy. It is said quite a few times that this will give the sender/their company a bad image. I feel like the author reiterates this point far too many times. There was also a lot of info-dumping included. In each chapter, the author says multiple times “according to ….” and then recites someone else’s information. I obviously understand it was meant to be helpful in proving the point of the novel, but I found it made the book slightly unlikeable.

The book did contain some very helpful elements, like summaries at the end of each chapter. I found this helpful as it was easy to get lost in the actual chapters as they were so long and contained quite a bit of information. Unfortunately, however, at the end of the summaries, Swann would explain what she would be discussing during the next chapter. This made the book feel far longer than necessary, and she could have just gone straight into the next chapter without any prior explanation.

Despite my complaints, this book definitely does contain some very helpful information. It teaches the audience the ways in which they are emailing incorrectly, emphasizing the things they never would have previously thought of. It lists thirty-eight specific bad habits, and how to fix them in easy, effective ways. I think this book could definitely be beneficial for most people, as like Swann stated; email is still the most prevalent form of professional communication.

This book was exceptionally well-edited, as I found no errors whatsoever, and it was definitely eye-opening. I don’t know that I ever would have thought about how important email etiquette or ‘netiquette’ is had I not read this. While it was quite educational, unfortunately, my complaints about the book did detract greatly from my enjoyment, so I feel comfortable rating this book 3 out of 5 stars.

I would recommend this book to readers concerned about their email skills, or lack thereof, and are looking for ways to improve their writing and create more professional impressions. I think it could also be great for managers or any bosses to read and recommend to the employees they manage, as it could make their team seem more professional and capable as a whole.

Writing Professional Emails
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

This book is very educational and I want to learn from this book how to enhance writing professional emails, as these days, I am more active on my email. Thank you, Kendal, for bringing this book to my notice. I like your well-written honest review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
The Keeper Jr
Favorite Book: The Cruel Prince
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-keeper-jr.html
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien

Post by The Keeper Jr »

The title of the book is eye-catching. You can understand exactly what type of content lies within this book. You have introduced the book in a great way and I would love to improve and learn more about writing emails. Thanks for the great review.
"Once I did bad and that I heard ever. Twice I did good, but that I heard never." - Dale Carnegie
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”