Review of Shadows of my future self

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Libni P
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libni-p.html
Latest Review: Thoughts on Science and Faith by Michael John
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Review of Shadows of my future self

Post by Libni P »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadows of my future self" by Nina Reid.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered what you should do with your life? If so, you are not alone. In Shadows of My Future Self, Nina Reid writes about how she tackled that question that haunted her since she graduated college.

Nina was that kid who stayed out of trouble. She felt like she could not take risks, and having an overprotective mom did not make things easier. On top of that, she felt the pressure her dad and brother put on her. Fortunately, Nina had the chance to expand her horizons by taking a yearlong study program in Paris. After barely overcoming initial issues such as housing, Nina finished her major in French literature. However, she still wondered what she should do with her life.

Once home, Nina struggled to get a stable job with benefits. She tried different jobs, such as teaching assistant, administrative assistant, and editorial assistant. Unfortunately for Nina, those jobs were boring and unsatisfactory. But then, after several dead-end jobs and two other majors, Nina found her place. It was difficult at first, but if she had taken other paths, she would not have found her true passion. Also, she thought her personal life would not improve either, but it did.

Shadows of My Future Self was a pleasant read. I could relate a lot to what the author went through. It was fast-paced, so it did not linger on details. Though I would have loved to know more about her dream job once she got it, I think that part deserved a few more pages. Overall, I could not find anything worth remembering in the book. For those reasons, I rate this book 3 out of 5 stars.

The book is very short; it only takes a few hours to finish. I might recommend it to a reader feeling stuck in life; the story might inspire them to continue moving forward. Also, the editing was great, as I could not find any typos.

Shadows of my future self
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Osvaldo Borghese
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: The Red Movement by Shadan Kapri
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 85%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

Studying abroad is an important experience for all the students of this generation, it gives them personal enrichment and incredible life experiences. Thanks for your review.
Sheryl Brown 3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Sheryl Brown 3 »

Excellent review i could get behind this book

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”