Review of My Dance With The Devil

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obc Contentor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-contentor.html
Latest Review: Ancient Beast by Kamar E Baldwin

Review of My Dance With The Devil

Post by Obc Contentor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Dance With The Devil" by Marly Bergerud.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

My Dance With The Devil stands as an autobiographical work by Marly Bergerud. This literary piece unfolds the life journey of the author, delving into her origins and the factors that have shaped her into the person she is today, tracing back to the era of her grandfather, Wilhelm Ernest Balszukat. Bergerud endeavors to rationalize her personality, achievements, and struggle with alcoholism, attributing them to her early experiences, particularly her father's inherent alcoholism. She underscores her challenges, talents, and the various opportunities that have surrounded her.

The narrative commences with the author recounting a pivotal moment in her battle against the consequences of alcohol addiction, revealing a traumatic incident of sexual molestation of which she was unaware until her friend Maureen informed her. Subsequently, the storyline shifts to the narration, led by Helen, detailing Marly's grandfather's beginnings in Prussia as a ten-year-old boy instructed by his parents to hastily catch a ship to America. The book then explores how Ernest led a life as a domineering and violent husband to Rosa, passing on this trait to Winton, the author's father.

Marly's motivation in writing this book is to reflect on her life, identifying the elements that have shaped her into an alcoholic, detailing her professional journey and success, and examining her unfulfilled ambitions. These components form her unique struggles, opportunities, and the aspects for which she is ultimately grateful. Additionally, the book expresses the author's gratitude for her academic and professional accomplishments in the field of computer knowledge.

Structured to impart life lessons, the book incorporates insightful quotes from wise figures like Pope Francis, Joseph Campbell, Winston Churchill, and D. C. Hyden. The clarity of the writing enables readers to readily immerse themselves in the author's emphasized messages in each chapter. Particularly notable is the author's appreciative tone as she delves into her family history to discern the origins of her ingrained attitudes, including alcohol addiction, resilience for success, and the perpetuation of certain traits across generations.
The book serves as a platform for the author to present her perspective on resolving undisclosed conflicts, whether with her son or other individuals who have shared in her life journey. Given its engaging scenes and suspenseful opening, I rate the book 5 out of 5 stars, finding only a few grammar errors and noting its professional editing.

I recommend My Dance With The Devil to those who appreciate true stories that impart life lessons and offer wisdom for self-improvement in various aspects of life, be it in marriage, profession, or interpersonal relationships.

My Dance With The Devil
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

Wow! I am already in love with the author. She seems to have faced alots in her lifetime. I love how she seeks to rationalize what made her who she is right now. Good description of the book, by the way.
Nwansimdi Mercy Someze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwansimdi-mercy-someze.html
Latest Review: The Advent of Time by Indignus Servus

Post by Nwansimdi Mercy Someze »

My Dance With The Devil" by Marly Bergerud seems to offer a deeply personal exploration of the author's life journey. The inclusion of her grandfather's era and the impact of her father's alcoholism adds layers to understanding the influences shaping her. I love the fact that people can talk about their past.
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This review provides a thorough and insightful overview of "My Dance With The Devil." It highlights the author's personal journey, struggles with alcoholism, and family history. The reviewer rates the book highly, stating its engaging scenes and valuable life lessons make it a worthwhile addition to any library. The review appears helpful, sufficient, and likely to motivate readers to buy the book.
R Chinaza Onwuka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-chinaza-onwuka.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by R Chinaza Onwuka »

The title of this book strongly attracted me to reading this review. Marly Bergerud's story really is dancing with the devil and wining the dancing contest . What a great review you have here!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”