Review of Declassified

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Review of Declassified

Post by Vivian Writes »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Declassified" by Arianna Warsaw-Fan Rauch.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

When you think about classical music, you probably imagine stuffy suits and insufferable snobs. I, for one, started listening to classical music but dropped it because I wondered if I had the understanding to grasp what it was the high and mighty seemed to understand above all else. But Warsaw-Fan Rauch has shattered all my illusions about both classical music and the classical music industry. Arianna started listening to classical music because of her parents, particularly her father. Soon enough, she decided to play professionally, with the full support and backing of her parents. After attending Juilliard, and at the peak of her career, she quit.

Arianna discovered that she needed to revisit the heart of music and learn to listen again. Declassified: A Low-Key Guide to the High-Strung World of Classical Music is Arianna Warsaw-Fan Rauch’s ode to classical music. But more than that, she opens the doors of the “genre” and the industry wide open for everyone, regardless of taste or social standing. Classical music is more than the exclusion that snobby listeners seem intent on perpetuating, and this book is the best guide to explore all the beauty that it has to offer.

This book is part memoir, part ode, and part expose. From the first glimpses Warsaw-Fan Rauch gave into her history and love affair with classical music, I was hooked. But what held my interest captive was her evident love for music and her humility in approaching both the genre and the task of being a teacher to possibly millions of readers. Arianna’s splendid use of metaphors and seamless climaxes made my reading experience so much better. Her commentary was often lively and dramatic. When she described Thomas Tallis’ music as the first rays of hope after a millennium of wretchedness, I did not need to hear the tunes to be a believer. However, Arianna was firm about each reader listening for themselves and forming their own opinions.

The author included some industry drama that made learning about classical music and its history realistic and hilarious. I learned about Mozart’s scatological letters and jokes, Beethoven’s Immortal Beloved and the mystery surrounding her, and other love affairs that were downright scandalous! Her description of Handel’s Zadok the Priest used imagery perfectly and was so awe-inspiring that I could almost hear the uplifting piece just from her words. It was easy to tell that the author knows her onions, but what is even nobler is how passionate she is about wanting you to know it too.

Even the book’s cover (which features a Beethoven statue wearing colorful sunglasses) is a testament to how fun, unconventional, but practicable this book is. The author’s cheeky writing that throws in some inside jokes and even sad occurrences in her life was the perfect style to dismantle false beliefs about classical music and even true beliefs that should no longer carry on. The author was quick to call out anyone, especially herself, on their uncouth behavior. But she did this with tact. With impeccable editing, fluid writing, commendable use of metaphors, and nothing to dislike, I can only rate Declassified 5 out of 5. This book delivers on its promise to declassify classical music, and I recommend it to anyone who is even slightly interested in learning about classical music but feels shut out of that world.

Declassified
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I was introduced to classical music when I took piano lessons as a child, but I know little about the composers themselves. This sounds like a marvelous journey into the world of classical music. Thank you for your recommendation!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

I think you are right to to say that when you think about classical music, you probably imagine stuffy suits and insufferable snobs. I know I do. However, this book seems to suggest otherwise. I might check it out.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I hardly distinguish what is classical music, which is a shame for me. I think this book will teach me on that matter, apart from other insights of the book. Thanks for a sounding review!😍🇵🇭
Lisa Park17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-park17.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Lisa Park17 »

I admire that the book is part memoir, part ode, and part expose. I can imagine that the book wouldn't have any boring moments to it. This book would have a great deal of knowledge about classical music. I'm not a fan, so I'd skip this. Your review is well-written, though.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

Arianna's journey with music seems like one that I'll enjoy embarking on with her through this book. Your review has highlighted a lot of key aspects of the book as well, and I hope the book lives up to the hype. Great review.
Grace Elkana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Post by Grace Elkana »

Oh my word! When I saw the title, I thought it would be a book about top secrets coming to light. I couldn't have imagined it being about classical music. Now my interest is heightened to check the book out.
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

A book about classical music is enchanting. I love the book's title and cover, it didn't give out any hints as to what the book would be all about. I'm a fan of any type of music, so I'd check this out. Well done.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

I love how her parent support her when she decided to play classical music professionally. I have been hearing about this classical music since my birth but don't fully listen to it, I will love to read this book and know more about it. Thanks for the review.
Ongezwa Thimna Soginga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ongezwa-thimna-soginga.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ongezwa Thimna Soginga »

It seems that the imagined classification of classical music I had is not the real one. A very interesting read especially the journey of Ariana with the genre.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 687
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Classical music gives me a headache. But I am itching to know those juicy stories about the masters. 😆 I love those shades on Beethoven!

Kidding aside, this seems like an enlightening and enjoyable read. Wonderful review!
Maria Diaz Peinado
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Maria Diaz Peinado »

For someone who loves classical music, I find this book very interesting, and you have also made me see listening to this type of music in a different way.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

I am a big fan of classical music. which is why I find this story quiet interesting. This story has broken every doubt that any nobby listener has about classical music. Nice review!
Baggett Yori
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baggett-yori.html
Latest Review: The Temple Of Truth And Lies by James Duvall

Post by Baggett Yori »

"Declassified: A Low-Key Guide to the High-Strung World of Classical Music" by Arianna Warsaw-Fan Rauch is a refreshing and accessible exploration of classical music that shatters stereotypes and invites readers of all backgrounds to appreciate the genre. Through her own experiences and passion for music, Rauch offers a captivating blend of memoir, ode, and expose that celebrates the beauty of classical music while demystifying its perceived exclusivity.
Amanda Kenneth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-kenneth.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Amanda Kenneth »

Warsaw-Fan Rauch's story challenges stereotypes about classical music and its listeners. Arianna's journey from childhood exposure to professional pursuit, supported by her parents, culminated in an unexpected decision to quit at the peak of her career, revealing complexities within the classical music industry and personal fulfillment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”