Review of All For the Love of Dogs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DEBORAH BURDITT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Re: Review of All For the Love of Dogs

Post by DEBORAH BURDITT »

‪A true story, interesting and engaging. Obviously Ilona was a very good animal control officer and she clearly loves her dog, this is both heartwarming and heartbreaking, , as are most stories about dogs. I recommend it to animal lovers. Congratulations on BOTD!‬
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 681
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 66%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“All for the Love of Dog” by Ilona Benzel is wonderful story about the dogs Ilona met as an animal control officer. She six dogs, three she purchased and three she adopted. Ilona kept a journal of all of the dogs in her life. She could not keep all of the dogs that she rescued and was amazing in the way she could communicate with dogs. They sensed that she was a good person and were not afraid to come to her. Her favorite dog was a German Shepherd named Kai that was incredibly intelligent and saved a loose bull by herding it back to the pen. Zack had a problem with seizures after inoculations, so Ilona changed vets and after the first year only had Zack and her other dogs receive a rabies shot every three years. Ilona described the incident when a hunter shot a dog and raced away in his car. The police did nothing, and Ilona was able to get a law passed to protect dogs but then the Fish and Game commission were able to reverse the new law. My wife and I love dogs and this book should be read by all dog lovers, vets, dog trainers, dog breeders, police and politicians. The cruelty of some people that abuse, starve and kills dogs is unforgiveable. Dogs just want to love and be loved. I enjoyed the entire book and I admire Ilona for her love of animals.
MMcB
Favorite Book: Island of Missing Trees
Currently Reading: The Elephant(s) in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmcb.html
Latest Review: Ungraduated by Ken Hannaman
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by MMcB »

Want to read about a person who just might be a dog whisperer? Oh! And read about some of the dogs in her life? Pick up a copy of "All For the Love of Dogs" by Ilona Benzel! You like dogs, she does too. You may read about how she cared for dogs, where she met them, how they were living and even though we hate the fact of it: some of the dogs she writes about will eventually pass away.
Thank you for the thorough review and Congratulations on Book of the Day!
If you're going through hell, keep going.
~ Sir Winston Churchill
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I have owned an array of different types of dogs throughout my life. I was drawn to the title of this nonfiction book. Benzel shares her vast amount of experiences as an Animal Control Officer. It is filled with short summaries about owning, rescuing, fostering, and adopting dogs. Answers to frequently asked questions are also provided regarding proper care of dogs.
Pranav Dewangan
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The Jersey Death Squad: A Journey to Kill Jessie Freeman by Mark Meding

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

All for the Love of Dogs by Ilona Benzel offers a heartfelt glimpse into the life of an animal control officer and her profound connection with the dogs she encountered. Reading about Ilona's experiences, especially her unique bond with each dog, including the exceptional German Shepherd, Kai, was incredibly moving. The personal stories and the narrative style, occasionally from the dog’s perspective, added a unique charm to the book. Ilona's dedication to these animals shines through every page, making this book a commendable read for anyone passionate about dogs or involved in animal welfare.
Ekassiba Ochuku
Currently Reading: Journeying with God in the Wilderness: A 40 Day Lent Devotional Through the Book of Numbers
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekassiba-ochuku.html
Latest Review: Surviving The Mental Health Jungle by Patrice Shavone Brown

Post by Ekassiba Ochuku »

I'm not a lover of dogs. I do not think this book would be perfect for me. I will recommend it to my friends to really fancy dogs. Illona's love for dogs fascinates me. Great review!
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A World Diverse III by David Edmond
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 165%

Post by Runan »

The author translated her experiences as an animal control officer and a dog owner. She wrote about how dogs came under her care and also wrote about neglected dogs. Shift in narrative perspective to that of a dog makes this book even more enjoyable.
Runan
shiremaiden
Currently Reading: Remembering the Future
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shiremaiden.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by shiremaiden »

I think this book will be loved by dog-lovers but will also be a wonderful introduction for people who are unfamiliar with relating to dogs. Kudos!
Sky Revews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sky-revews.html
Latest Review: The Kovalenko Secret by Philip L Rettew

Post by Sky Revews »

In Benzel’s encounters, we were seeing the issues with shelters, the significance of responsible pet ownership, and the devotion of these rescue professionals. Congrats on #BOTD
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: ABCs for SATs by Elise MacArthur

Post by Abiodunakinola »

Benzel offers a heartwarming and insightful glimpse into the world of animal control officers, as she shares her experiences rescuing and caring for dogs. Benzel's ability to communicate with dogs and her deep love for them shines through in this beautifully written book, which is sure to resonate with dog lovers everywhere. Nice review.
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by Sheen Jenny »

The fact that she could communicate with dogs adds such a unique and fascinating dimension to her storytelling. It must have been incredible to witness the bond she had with them firsthand
Sargam Talreja
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Way of the Goddess
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sargam-talreja.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Sargam Talreja »

An exciting read for both dog lovers and animal control officers. It delves into intricate details like the description of the names and language of dogs, showcasing the pure and emotional bond between humans and their canines. Overall, a fantastic review capturing the essence of the book.
Michael Gambo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-gambo.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Michael Gambo »

It's fascinating to imagine the depth of communication and understanding that can exist between humans and animals. This book not only promises heartwarming stories but also invites readers to contemplate the profound bond shared between humans and their beloved canine friends.
I believe in something greater than myself.
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 136%

Post by Martina Sette »

This book sounds like a heartfelt and engaging read, especially for fellow dog lovers like me. Her dedication to sharing the stories of the dogs she encountered during her career as an animal control officer is admirable. It's touching to hear about her connection with these animals and her efforts to give them the care and attention they deserve.
Alissa Deann Devargas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-deann-devargas.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Alissa Deann Devargas »

I like dogs too. I very much admire individuals who have a kind of special connection with them. I think Ilona is one of those rare people. I'll enjoy reading her book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”