Review of Towards an Incarnational Spiritual Culture

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annabell Samuel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabell-samuel.html
Latest Review: Micro Authority by Dr Raman K Attri

Review of Towards an Incarnational Spiritual Culture

Post by Annabell Samuel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Towards an Incarnational Spiritual Culture" by Gordon E. Carkner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I have read many Christian books in my few years as a bibliophile. However, this is my first time reading a philosophically articulated Christian book. Many of the ones I see focus solely on references from the Christian Bible. "Towards an Incarnational Spiritual Culture" is different. Gordon E. Carkner takes the time to research and study works by renowned philosophers. He combines them with biblical insights to write this book.

This book explains incarnation and how it can be the key to a better society. Although it is firmly founded on Christian beliefs, the philosophical aspects will appeal to philosophy lovers.

One evident thing in this book is the level of research that has gone into writing it. There's almost no page where the author doesn't cite a source or two. Some pages have even more. This shows that the author isn't just sharing something that he alone can substantiate. He has a plethora of research work to show that what he shares in this book is worth considering. The author also uses the footers to reference the sources. There's also a well-arranged reference list at the end of the book. If you don't want to interrupt your reading, you can look at the reference list holistically when you're done.

The author began by comparing incarnate spirituality to Gnosticism. While I understand the foundation the author laid, some submissions were uncalled for. For instance, the author says that Gnostic Christians believe you can be spiritual but not religious. I see no reason why that statement should be part of the author's comparison. That was the first thing that threw me off a bit. The other thing was that the author's tone was academic. It made the book look like a research thesis meant only for theological professors. In this day and age, simplicity can help communicate a complex message faster and better. As a result, I'd rate the book four out of five stars.

The book was professionally edited. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in a philosophically articulated Christian book.

Towards an Incarnational Spiritual Culture
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t think that this is a book that I would particularly like. Mr. Carkner seems to write way above my head as do many writers of philosophy. In fact, philosophy was one of the only classes that I didn’t really enjoy. Thanks!
Annabell Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabell-samuel.html
Latest Review: Micro Authority by Dr Raman K Attri

Post by Annabell Samuel »

Amy Luman wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 14:09 I don’t think that this is a book that I would particularly like. Mr. Carkner seems to write way above my head as do many writers of philosophy. In fact, philosophy was one of the only classes that I didn’t really enjoy. Thanks!
I understand if philosophy isn't your thing. Many of us share the same sentiments. Thanks for dropping your comment.
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Azaz Raja »

Great review! I really enjoyed your take on "Towards an Incarnational Spiritual Culture." Your insights into the book's unique blend of Christian beliefs and philosophical perspectives were spot on. Keep up the excellent work!
Orji cyril Kaluokoro
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Orji cyril Kaluokoro »

"Towards an Incarnational Spiritual Culture" is a philosophically articulated Christian book by Gordon E. Carkner, which combines works by renowned philosophers with biblical insights. The book explains incarnation and its potential to be the key to a better society, despite being firmly based on Christian beliefs. The author's level of research is evident in the extensive citations on every page, demonstrating that the author has a plethora of research work to support his claims.
The book is professionally edited and offers a well-arranged reference list at the end of the book, allowing readers to look at the list holistically. However, the author's comparison of incarnate spirituality to Gnosticism is uncalled for, as it suggests that Gnostic Christians believe in spirituality but not religious. This statement is uncalled for and makes the book appear like a research thesis meant only for theological professors.
In this day and age, simplicity can help communicate complex messages faster and better. The book is rated four out of five stars, as it is professionally edited and is recommended for anyone interested in a philosophically articulated Christian book.
The author's academic tone and the inclusion of uncalled for submissions, such as the statement that Gnostic Christians believe in spirituality but not religion, may not be suitable for the general reader. In this case, the book is rated four out of five stars, as it is a well-crafted and well-researched work that offers a comprehensive understanding of incarnation and its potential to contribute to a better society.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

This book reminds me of the things I was thought in Sunday school about the Incarnation of Jesus. As a Christian I believe I nned to reed this book to gain a better understanding.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

"There's almost no page where the author doesn't cite a source or two. Some pages have even more. This shows that the author isn't just sharing something that he alone can substantiate." This was a nice take.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”