Review of Is That Normal?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: Conceptus by Brian Herskowitz

Review of Is That Normal?

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Is That Normal?" by Meghan Burke, MD.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Parenting is the toughest job in the world, especially if you have a newborn. Every little sign, symptom, or abnormality can send your anxiety to the roof. You are on alert 24/7; you barely get a few hours of sleep. What if you had a handbook crafted by a pediatrician so that whenever you worry about something, you could check once in the guide what it says to put your racing mind to rest? That is what Meghan Burke’s handbook “Is That Normal?” promises to deliver. The title of the book completely justifies what it is about.

This book consists of several small, capsule-sized chapters that deal with a single issue at a time. For people who are first-time parents, anything new with their child can create panic. The book covers issues related to feeding, burping, peeing, pooping, crying, sleeping, vaccines, and other childcare issues. The author in each chapter busts various myths regarding what is normal and what needs attention. Overall, she shares that only a few things can go wrong with newborns, as they are quite strong, sturdy, and built to thrive. The book will help you differentiate between normal and abnormal.

Apart from the issues of the children, the handbook recommends taking post-partum depression seriously for a parent as well as the child's well-being. Making sure that the parents are adjusting to the new life with a newborn in the first few weeks is most important, according to the author.

There are several things I like about the book. I loved its title. I liked the brevity of the book. The author could have easily written a larger book, but she chose to write a concise and to-the-point book that can act as a reference handbook. Each chapter is categorized by issues and signs so that you can quickly jump to the section that is bothering you. Most chapters contain illustrations that are hand-drawn and look unique and cool, enhancing the overall reading experience. The best part about the book is that the author has combined her experience as a mother and a pediatrician to create a relatable guide that anyone can follow. The language is also very simple and avoids medical jargon, so it's easy to read. Finally, the editing is professional and flawless.

There is absolutely nothing to dislike about the book from a reader's point of view. It fulfills the purpose for which it is written.

I would rate this book a fully deserved 5 out of 5 stars.

I have given it 5 stars because, as I have mentioned previously, I love everything about this book. I recommend this book to every parent catering to a newborn, as well as any family members who are dealing with a newborn in their family. Dealing with a newborn can be challenging, and this book can make your day-to-day life easier.

Is That Normal?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

The stage of training a child especially at the early stages of life isn't easy at all, and I am so pleased and happy that Meghan Burke, MD wrote this book foe moments when we are confused and need guidance for the next step.
williams Emerald
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by williams Emerald »

The book’s concise, categorically organized chapters and hand-drawn illustrations make it user-friendly and accessible for busy parents.It’s commendable how the author combines her experiences as a mother and pediatrician to offer practical advice without overwhelming readers with medical jargon.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”