Review of We All Have A Story! Here’s Mine

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: Machine Guns & Typewriters by Robert W. Wallace

Review of We All Have A Story! Here’s Mine

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "We All Have A Story! Here’s Mine" by Maurice Chandler.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

We All Have a Story! Here's Mine is a non-fictional autobiography written by Maurice Chandler. The book narrates the story of the author from his childhood until the present, highlighting the struggles, failures, successes, and lessons from his rather colorful life experiences.

The book follows Maurice Chandler, who is also known as Reece, as he shares his journey from growing up in Camden amidst poverty and family struggles to strive for a better life. As he deals with childhood in East Camden, we are drawn into a world of street games and neighborhood dynamics, giving us a backdrop to Reece's struggles and triumphs. From dabbling in the drug trade to confronting personal demons with alcoholism and having fallen for the allure of fast money and other vices, he must deal with the consequences of his choices. So what lessons can be learned from his life? And how can it inspire those facing similar challenges? Find out in this book.

I liked a lot of things about this book. I appreciate the author's vulnerability and authenticity as he shares his story. This book will be relatable, particularly to people of color who grew up in similar conditions. I also liked the accountability he had for his actions. He did well to properly identify the issues in his life that put him in the situations he got into. I truly appreciated his dedication to his daughter. Given his circumstances, I think that is something impressive. There are a lot of lessons to take from this book. In chapter 14, when he identified himself as a "master procrastinator," which is something I could relate to on a personal level. The book does well to deal with issues like alcoholism, self-improvement, education, the importance of resilience, and hope for the future.

My least favorite aspect of the book is its length. I believe that if the book had been a bit more concise, it would have been even better. However, that did not take anything away from the quality of the book.

I did not find any errors in this book. It was professionally edited. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because it was an inspiring and intriguing read. I recommend this book to lovers of memoirs and nonfictional books as well as young men everywhere.

We All Have A Story! Here’s Mine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Olivier Muhammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivier-muhammad.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Olivier Muhammad »

Well now, after readin' this review, I reckon this book sounds mighty interestin'! Seems like Maurice Chandler, or Reece as they call him, done poured his heart and soul into sharin' his life story, faults and all. It's somethin' that folks can relate to, especially if they grew up in similar circumstances. The lessons learned from his struggles with alcoholism and the choices he made are somethin' I reckon many folks can learn from. The reviewer also mentioned that the book was edited real well, which is always a plus in my book. All in all, it sounds like a worthwhile read if you ask me! Gripping suspense, kept me eagerly turning pages.
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Joshua Sawders »

Well, darlin', based on this review, it seems like "We All Have a Story! Here's Mine" is one captivating read. The author, Maurice Chandler, opens up about his challenging upbringing in Camden, sharing his struggles, triumphs, and lessons learned along the way. From the streets to personal demons, Chandler speaks about accountability and the importance of resilience in the face of adversity. The reviewer found the book relatable, authentic, and full of valuable life lessons. Though it could have been a tad shorter, the overall quality and editing were top-notch. With a 5-star rating, this memoir seems like a worthwhile journey for anyone seeking inspiration and self-reflection. Y'all might want to give it a go if you're into nonfiction and memoirs! Exquisite writing, every sentence a delight.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

The author shows his vulnerability and authenticity, while sharing his experiences, his failures, and shortcomings; I keep wondering if he ever overcame his addictions, and all the challenges he encountered since his childhood. I hope his book will inspire and give courage to those going through similar situations.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”