Review of It Was What It Was

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dani Elle Ele
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani-elle-ele.html
Latest Review: It Was What It Was by Daniel Pace

Review of It Was What It Was

Post by Dani Elle Ele »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It Was What It Was" by Daniel Pace.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

It Was What It Was: A Tale of the 1st Infantry Division in Iraq (2006–2008) by Daniel Pace is a historical memoir about the author's experience with his deployment to Iraq for a war against insurgents. The author is married to Alycia, who gave birth to Gareth, his son, and was pregnant for him the second time. The book started with his training experience in the Ranger School and the deployment of the squadron to Iraq. There were lots of actions, explosions, casualties, and people who lost their lives in this book, including residents, soldiers, and insurgents. The soldiers planned to carry out a different approach to the war tagged "counterinsurgency," which involves winning over the population rather than just defeating the enemy. Will they succeed in their mission? Was their success worth the casualties and deaths the squadron faced? Read this book to learn more.

I've read many historical books, but I rarely come across military books. I must say this one was a rare gem. Reading this book has exposed me to a lot. Firstly, I learned a good amount of military jargon and also different posts, offices, and agencies in the military. I saw the beauty behind these soldiers who go to war. Despite the fact that they were trained to kill, I was emotional with the way they showed care for the residents of the neighborhood they went to for war. Another thing I loved most about this book was the humor in it. I felt the pain and fear of losing someone you love. When the soldiers were going to war, different families were seen giving their last farewell, unaware of whether or not they would see their spouse again. The author's writing style was superb, and his editing was flawless. I did not notice any errors in this book.

For those who may not have any idea of the military jargon in this book, there is nothing to worry about. The author gave references to all the places they were used in this book, along with an explanation for them. Although it may make the reading slower, it helped to make the book easily understandable. There was absolutely nothing I disliked about this book. I recommend this book to people who will love to know what wars look like and also to those who will love to get more insights on what it means to be a part of the US military and how it affects their relationship with their family. I rate this book a perfect 5 out of 5 stars for its meticulous editing and captivating storyline.

It Was What It Was
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Olivier Muhammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivier-muhammad.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olivier Muhammad »

Oh, don'tcha know, this here review sure makes it sound like "It Was What It Was: A Tale of the 1st Infantry Division in Iraq" is a real good read, ya know. The reviewer really liked how the author shared his military experience in Iraq, especially with all them military terms and such. They said the writing was excellent and the editing was spot on, don'tcha know. They mentioned the emotional side of war and how it affects families, which sounds quite interesting, don'tcha know. Overall, this book seems like a real gem, ya betcha! Enchanting atmosphere, immersed me completely.
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshua-sawders.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joshua Sawders »

This review highlights "It Was What It Was: A Tale of the 1st Infantry Division in Iraq (2006-2008)" as a rare gem in the military genre. The book provides an insight into the author's deployment and the challenges faced by soldiers in Iraq. The reviewer praises the author's writing style, flawless editing, and the emotional depth portrayed in the story. The review also mentions the book's informative nature and the author's ability to explain military jargon, making it accessible to readers. Overall, the reviewer highly recommends this book for its captivating storytelling and the reader's understanding of the military experience. Engrossing read, lost track of time.
Christian Kay
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christian-kay.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Christian Kay »

This book sounds really interesting and emotional. I want to know more about the author's time in Iraq and how it affected him. It's cool that he shares his personal story, including his family back home. I'm curious to see how he deals with the tough choices he had to make during the war. Great review!"

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”