Review of The Physics of Morals

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Lyons Den
Bookshelf Size: 782
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: The Mighty Esox by G. Edward Martin

Review of The Physics of Morals

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Physics of Morals" by Lewis Herman.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Are you evil or good if you can bring evil and good into being? Who do you feed if you have limited food? Is eating meat morally wrong, and should farmers be punished for slaughtering animals? If you lie or murder someone, does that always make you immoral? These are just a few thought-provoking questions you will encounter when you read The Physics of Morals by Lewis Herman. Through mathematical calculus and metaphysics, you will learn that your responsibilities to live in a moral world differ from those of your ancestors. But first, you have to understand morals and ethics and their roles in our lives. Reading this book will help you gain this understanding.

One of my favorite aspects of this book is the examples Lewis Herman uses to make his points. They were down-to-earth, and I could easily visualize and understand them. One example is giraffes' and lions' tactics to survive and maintain the natural order. Some topics discussed are the environment, child punishments, poverty, food subsidies, car accidents, taxation, justice, politics, suicide, and school shootings. It was especially interesting to read how food subsidies impact our moral lives. One thought-provoking topic that kept me thinking long after I finished this book is that you have to understand yourself before you can change for the better. I commend the author for providing definitions of key terms, descriptions of the moral laws, and a metaphysical overview to give readers the knowledge they need to understand this book without having to refer to a dictionary.

The key terms would have been easier to find when I needed to refer back to them if they had been in alphabetical order, and chapter headings would have made it easier to differentiate between the book's three parts. Some of the bibliographies at the end of the book have formatting issues that the author may want to look into. However, these few negative aspects did not impact my reading enjoyment, and I did not consider them in my rating because they may not affect other readers.

I found no reason not to give this professionally edited book a perfect score of 5 out of 5 stars. You will need to read this book more than once to get the full benefit of it because there is too much to think about in one reading. I look forward to rereading it when I do not have to worry about errors or other aspects of doing a review because I enjoy reading books that make me think.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy thought-provoking metaphysical philosophies about morals and ethics. You will not be disappointed, but I will caution you that I discovered the first day of reading not to read this book before going to bed because my mind would not shut down.

The Physics of Morals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Crisis
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

Morals and ethics are something that always provoke thoughts in our minds. The book seems to be a serious reading matter and reader would have to read it again and again to understand the deeper contents in it.
The review is well made and tries to summarise the book in simple words.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
avaregidor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by avaregidor »

I think the author did a great job of using examples from various fields and aspects of life to illustrate his points. I also liked how he provided definitions, descriptions, and an overview to help readers understand the concepts and terms he used. I think the book is a valuable resource for anyone who wants to learn more about the moral laws and how they affect our lives.
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This review provides a helpful and thought-provoking overview of the book "The Physics of Morals" by Lewis Herman. The review highlights the engaging examples and insightful topics discussed in the book. The reviewer praises the author for providing definitions, descriptions, and metaphysical insights without requiring excessive external references. Although there are some minor formatting issues and organizational improvements that could be made, the reviewer rates the book 5 out of 5 stars and recommends it to readers interested in metaphysical philosophies on morals and ethics. Overall, this review is informative and would likely motivate others to consider adding the book to their library.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

Based on the review, it seems that "The Physics of Morals" by Lewis Herman is a thought-provoking and engaging book that explores moral and ethical concepts. The reviewer appreciated the down-to-earth examples used by the author and found the topics covered, such as the impact of food subsidies, particularly interesting. They commended the author for providing definitions and explanations, although they mentioned a few formatting issues in the bibliography. Overall, the review gives a positive impression of the book, with a perfect score of 5 out of 5 stars.
Olivier Muhammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivier-muhammad.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Olivier Muhammad »

Based on the review, The Physics of Morals by Lewis Herman seems like a thought-provoking and well-written book that delves into the complexities of morals and ethics. The use of examples and down-to-earth explanations make it easy to comprehend. The reviewer also praises the author for providing helpful definitions and overviews. Despite a few minor formatting issues, the book received a perfect score. This book is recommended for readers who enjoy metaphysical philosophies on morals and ethics. Compelling climax, left me breathless with anticipation.
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshua-sawders.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Joshua Sawders »

Well now, this review surely piqued my interest! Fer all y'all lookin' fer a thought-provokin' read 'bout morals and ethics, this here book seems to be right up yer alley. The author, Lewis Herman, delves into some deep questions 'bout good and evil, food scarcity, and other moral dilemmas. The examples he uses make 'em ideas easy to grasp, and the book is professionally edited - a big plus! Though it might require a few reads, I reckon it's a solid 5 outta 5 stars. So gather 'round, folks, and dive into the physics of morals! Absorbing narrative, lost myself in the story completely.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”