Review of Goodbye Comfort Zone

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sanjeev maurya
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjeev-maurya.html
Latest Review: Crime Healer by Patrick A. Davy

Review of Goodbye Comfort Zone

Post by sanjeev maurya »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Goodbye Comfort Zone" by James Wesley McKee.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“Goodbye Comfort Zone” by James Wesley McKee is an autobiography by James Wesley McKee. In this book, the author discusses his life from childhood to old age. His life in Alabama as a child, growing up with his brother, playing football in school, falling in love, and his 60s when he fell with cancer and everything that happened in between as a member of the US Air Force, living in the UK, and building his own business as an employee at a tech company.

The author has done great work of pulling us into his life and telling the even most mundane stuff in ways that you can't help but keep on reading. The best thing about this book is that when you read about the author's childhood, the way it is written has that enthusiasm and carefree tone of a kid, which makes you smile ear to ear, and as he grows with the story, the tone becomes more serious without the author changing his writing style, a great feat achieved by the author. The title of the book is quite apt, “Goodbye Comfort Zone,” as many times throughout his life the author left his comfort zone to achieve something good. For example, when he joined the Air Force after knowing his wife was pregnant or when he left his job with a high-paying position to build his own business, the author inadvertently taught us how and why to leave your comfort zone, something I don't think the author intended. The writing style of the book is good; I just hoped that in the first few chapters, the flow and transition from one chapter to another would be as smooth as in the later chapters. The editing is flawlessly executed by the author, giving it a professional touch.

As for the negatives, as I discussed above, the flow and transition from one chapter to another in the first few chapters weren't as well executed; certain things were told in one line, even though they sounded like very important pieces of information about the author's life. For example, when the author's first son is born, they find out that one of his kidneys doesn't work, and he would have to live his life with one kidney. The author just said “he grew up fine with one kidney and was very athletic”, this is not the exact quote, but the author never brings this up throughout the book, for that matter author never brings up any of his children in the book, who I am assuming had an important role to play in his growth as a person. This might sound like nitpicking, but I would have appreciated a more in-depth discussion of that part of his life—fatherhood.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. The book is a breezy read that transports you to the past and makes you live the author's life. For people who like reading books that are snippets of people's lives, I would highly recommend this book to them.

Goodbye Comfort Zone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Joshua Sawders »

This review gives a positive overview of "Goodbye Comfort Zone" by James Wesley McKee. The reviewer praises the author's storytelling and ability to engage the reader. They also note the book's apt title, as the author consistently steps out of his comfort zone throughout his life. However, some minor flaws in flow and transitions between chapters are mentioned. Overall, the review rates the book 4 out of 5 stars and recommends it to readers who enjoy personal memoirs. Inspiring message, left me feeling uplifted.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”