Review of Boots,Barracks, and Belly Laughs: A Veteran's Amusing Adventures in Uniform

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Grids of the Word Crosser - Complete Edition by Daniel Fonkem

Review of Boots,Barracks, and Belly Laughs: A Veteran's Amusing Adventures in Uniform

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Boots,Barracks, and Belly Laughs: A Veteran's Amusing Adventures in Uniform" by TSgt William (Bill) Gates (USAF RET).]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Boots, Barrack, and Belly Laughs: A Veteran’s Amusing Adventures In Uniform by TSGT. WILLIAM GATES, (RET) offers a light-hearted yet poignant look into the everyday life of an airman through a collection of humorous anecdotes and heartfelt stories.

Gates' tales are filled with pranks, mishaps, and day-to-day shenanigans that come with life in uniform, yet they also touch on the challenges and sacrifices inherent to military service. His ability to find humor in difficult situations and his reflections on the bonds formed in the service offer a warm, humanizing view of the Armed Forces.

I admit that this book elicited smiles and chuckles from me. For instance, when I read about how the author had steak and scrambled eggs blended for breakfast, or when he and his colleagues looted a vending machine, or when he attached bicycle training wheels to a colleague's Vespa as a prank, I couldn't help but laugh. These antics are not mean-spirited but are filled with light-hearted humor, showcasing the lighter side of military life even amid the serious backdrop of service. My second appraisal of the book acknowledges the personal sacrifices made by those in uniform, as seen through the author’s life. While Technical Sergeant William Gates was away from his family for a year, with a daughter only three months old, he ensured that his family had secure base housing, groceries, medical care, education, and other amenities. These details provide a glimpse into the life of a responsible family man, underscoring that behind the uniform is an ordinary person with significant responsibilities.

The only drawback I noticed was the persistent grammatical mistakes that slightly tarnished my reading experience. These errors occasionally interrupted the engaging narrative that the author skillfully crafted. Nevertheless, the content of the book is thoroughly entertaining and would be greatly enhanced by meticulous professional editing.

The book is well-suited for a diverse readership. Military enthusiasts and veterans or active service members will appreciate the insights into military life and the camaraderie depicted. Those who enjoy light-hearted, humorous stories will find the pranks and mishaps especially amusing. Additionally, family members of military personnel may gain a deeper understanding of what life can be like in the service, helping them connect with their loved ones' experiences.

In conclusion, the author skillfully captures the essence of military life, uniquely mixing wit and wisdom. Although grammatical errors occasionally mar the reading experience, leading to a one-point deduction from a perfect score, the book earns a solid 4 out of 5 stars. Despite its flaws, this book successfully entertains and pays tribute to the camaraderie and sacrifice that define military service, making it a valuable addition to the collection of anyone interested in exploring the human aspects of the United States Armed Forces.

Boots,Barracks, and Belly Laughs: A Veteran's Amusing Adventures in Uniform
View: on Bookshelves
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Eternal Hero by William Grace
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Although I recognize the value of memoirs, I have to say they aren't my first choice of genre. That anecdote about the training wheels made me chuckle, though, so that's something!

I enjoyed reading your detailed review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Grids of the Word Crosser - Complete Edition by Daniel Fonkem

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Alice Heritage wrote: 17 May 2024, 13:12 Although I recognize the value of memoirs, I have to say they aren't my first choice of genre. That anecdote about the training wheels made me chuckle, though, so that's something!

I enjoyed reading your detailed review.
Thank you for sharing your perspective! I understand that memoirs aren't everyone's preferred genre, but I'm glad the training wheels anecdote brought a smile to your face. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the review!
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

The premise of this book looks interesting, considering the themes it brings about military everyday life. Reading your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 146%

Post by Martina Sette »

This book seems a delightful read filled with humor and heartfelt moments. It offers a unique glimpse into the lighter side of military life. Nice review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”