Review of Swallows Also Fall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fatola Fatai
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatola-fatai.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Re: Review of Swallows Also Fall

Post by Fatola Fatai »

I appreciate how the author attempted to fill in the gaps and bring to life the early, harder-to-document years of Marcelino Massana's life story. Fleshing out those formative experiences that shaped his ideologies and future path is a worthwhile creative exercise
Diksha Sharma 20
Currently Reading: The Vampire Diaries
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Diksha Sharma 20 »

I appreciate your detailed and extremely profound summary of CR Armeny's Swallows Also Fall. Please note that your thorough research into the historical background, force and life of Marcelino Massana made the book come alive for me. I respect your frankness about those narrative difficulties, which in this particular case, though they bothered you, they did not take the book from you instead. Recommending this book, you have ignited my excitement in the process of reading, which leads me to my passion in the annals of history. Thanks again for this discussiooon!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t really enjoy biographies as a whole and don’t see anything about this one to change my mind. I can understand how things are a little bit mixed up when almost the entire book comes from stories from Mr. Armeny’s father and not from first-hand knowledge. Congratulations on BOTD!
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Last Rhino: An African Wildlife Adventure by David Mark Quigley

Post by Seetha E »

Marcelino Massana was orphaned at an early age. His perspective on life was irreversibly changed by his experiences during the Spanish Civil War. His struggle against oppressors such as the church, landlords, and the wealthy is worth following by anybody interested in historical conflict and associated events. The review by John Owen is outstanding. Congrats on BOTD to the author, CR Armeny.
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 620%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

It is an incredible story. The author puts everything to share the story. It is incredible that all really happened.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Pablo Josue Mendia
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo-josue-mendia.html
Latest Review: Penelopes Purple Passions by Penelope Chaisson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 250
2024 Goal Completion: 39%

Post by Pablo Josue Mendia »

Thank you for the informative review!

"Swallows Also Fall" by CR Armeny seemingly delves into Marcelino Massana's life, revealing his journey from familial tragedy during the Spanish Flu to his defiance against Franco's regime.

Through meticulous research, the author seemingly presents a compelling narrative that humanizes Massana beyond propaganda's vilification.

Sounds like a must-read for history enthusiasts seeking insight into lesser-known heroes of the Spanish Civil War.
Pranav Dewangan
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The Never-Ending Adventures of Irv Wiley by James P. Sullivan

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

This review of "Swallows Also Fall" by CR Armeny sheds light on a fascinating and lesser-known historical figure, Marcelino Massana. The intricate weaving of Marceli's life, from his upbringing to his involvement in the Spanish Civil War, promises a compelling narrative. Despite the author's acknowledgment of gaps in historical records, their personal connection to Marceli's story adds depth and authenticity. I'm intrigued to explore this complex and pivotal period through Marceli's eyes.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Born in a Storm by Mark Carew

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Your review is very pleasant, and I appreciate that it offers a positive recommendation for the book despite encountering minor issues with the storytelling, such as shifts in perspective and timeline.
Rajaee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajaee.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Rajaee »

This review fails to give a clear idea about the book. But it succeeded in making me keen to know about Marecelino Massana.
Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Olga Markova »

Your review is very informative, John! Sampling, I enjoyed Rosana's story about the three men found murdered in the forest by the Franco's Civil Guard and her worries about their safety. I am yet to meet with Marcel-li but it does feel like a great read!
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshua-sawders.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Joshua Sawders »

This review provides a thorough and insightful analysis of "Swallows Also Fall" by CR Armeny, highlighting its portrayal of Marcelino Massana and the historical context of the Spanish Civil War. The reviewer acknowledges the challenges of piecing together Marcelino's life due to limited sources but appreciates the author's effort in filling in the gaps. Despite minor issues with shifting perspectives and timelines, the reviewer highly recommends the book for its historical depth and engaging storytelling.
Brienna Cooper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97

Post by Brienna Cooper »

Nice review! A read that includes the huge effects of the Spanish flu (as well as the war) seem highly timely considering what has gone on around the globe in the last 4 years (and continues to in many ways). I will say the POV confusion does sound like it could be off-putting. However, if the content is enticing enough, it would probably be worth making the effort to figure it out (and hopefully wouldn’t take too much time).
Olivier Muhammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivier-muhammad.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olivier Muhammad »

I appreciate your honest perspective regarding the mixed points of view and the shifting timelines in the book. While it may have presented some initial challenges, it's impressive that you were able to piece everything together and fully enjoy the story. Your recommendation of the book, especially to history enthusiasts, is valuable and helps highlight its historical significance.
Julius Adekunle 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-adekunle-1.html
Latest Review: Memoirs of a Management Consultant by Franco Guazzoni

Post by Julius Adekunle 1 »

"Swallows Also Fall" by CR Armeny offers a fascinating and well-researched glimpse into the life of Marcelino Massana, a lesser-known figure from the Spanish Civil War era. Despite some narrative shifts, the book skillfully weaves together Marcelino's experiences and challenges historical misconceptions. A compelling read for history enthusiasts, earning a solid 5 out of 5 stars from me. Highly recommended!
Rezaul Hasan
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rezaul-hasan.html
Latest Review: Trinities to Enneagrams, 2nd Edition by Allen David Young

Post by Rezaul Hasan »

"Swallows Also Fall" by CR Armeny is a beautifully written book that explores themes of loss and resilience. The story follows a family's journey through grief and healing after a tragic event. Armeny's prose is simple yet evocative, making it easy to connect with the characters' emotions. The book's pacing keeps you engaged, and its heartfelt moments are genuinely touching. Overall, "Swallows Also Fall" is a poignant and uplifting read that gently reminds us of the strength found in family and the enduring power of hope.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”