Review of Swallows Also Fall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Cusick by Philip Amortila

Re: Review of Swallows Also Fall

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

It's always fascinating to see how historical figures grew from their humble beginnings to attaining great heights, just like Marcelino Massana. However, I'm not much of a history buff, so I'll skip this read.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

This is a historical novel of the life of Marcelino Massana and his exploits in the Spanish Civil War. The focus initially is on his childhood in the Spanish Flu epidemic in 1918 where a foster family took him in.
Shiru Elizabeth
Currently Reading: The Riddle of Alchemy
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shiru-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Lethal Melodies by Abdulilah Hamadi

Post by Shiru Elizabeth »

This seems like a really good book to read! Despite the scant details, it's amazing how the author has filled in the blanks on Marcelino Massana's life. Marceli's close relationship to his foster family must have given him a distinct viewpoint. Congrats on BOTD.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Marceli seems to be an interesting character so I’m looking forward to digging into this book to find out how he fought oppression from people around him especially the kind of leadership his country had.
Paul Great Grace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-great-grace.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
2024 Reading Goal: 70
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Paul Great Grace »

"Swallows Also Fall" by CR Armenia is a historical book of memory so to say, it's about the story of Marcelino Massana and how he built a relationship in the Spanish Civil. This is truly an amazing historical novel, I love it because it's well-detailed. Congrats on BOTD!
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire by H. J. Chammas

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

Your review of "Swallows Also Fall" by CR Armeny is incredibly insightful. I appreciate your detailed analysis of Marceli's life and the author's efforts to fill historical gaps. Your comments on the narrative structure were very helpful. Thank you!
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 1009
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Empowered By the Dream by Gladys A Barrio

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Marcelino Massena was a revolutionary leader. I will definitely like to know more about him.

Thank you for the great review.
Deborah Belanger
Currently Reading: The Bulletproof Missionary
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Deborah Belanger »

Your review on "Swallows Also Fall" by CR Armeny was well thought out. Your explanation of the book's strengths, particularly the way it fills gaps in historical knowledge and weaves together limited information, is compelling. I also appreciate your honesty about the narrative structure and perspective shifts, as it gives potential readers a well-rounded view of what to expect. I was on the fence as to whether I would read this book or not but your explanative review enticed me to put this read on my shelf in the end so I look forward to reading this historical book. Congratulations to the author for BOTD.

:tiphat:
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Damian Keyes »

Marcelino Massana is a name know little about but I'm willing to learn more about his life impact through this novel. I do know the Spanish flu was a terrible plague but to learn that Massana was able to accomplish what he did and live a long life is amazing. Congrats to the author for having the BOTD.
azza lia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azza-lia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by azza lia »

Based on your review, the writing seems very confusing due to the shifts in points of view. I appreciate the author's effort in piecing together Marceli's story and bring it to life despite limited information. Readers interested in biographies and history of Spanish civil war will want to give this one a try. War is full of unpleasant things. So I don't think I would enjoy this book. Excellent review.
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

C.R. Armeny's book begins in the village of El Pont in 1944. It follows the life of Marcel-lì Massana amidst the era of the Spanish Civil War and the Spanish flu. Marcel-lì grows up to form the Maquis, a resistance group opposed to the French occupation. This book would be interesting for fans of historical fiction.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Priya Murugesan »

A very good analysis of the book! I have sampled the book and found it quite interesting. You have pointed out the little negative aspects of the book very well.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1935
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: Swallows Also Fall' by C. R. Armeny presents valuable historical information for readers. It presents a background for the protagonist's character. The point that the book describes Marcelino Massana's relationship to the Spanish Civil War is worth mentioning in the review. Readers would learn about the historical war. Also, as mentioned in the review, the author is related to Marceli's foster family. Learning that the book is an amazing account of Marceli was great!
Lydia Washington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Lydia Washington »

"Swallows Also Fall" by CR Armeny captivates readers with its poignant narrative and compelling characters. Set against the backdrop of a tumultuous era, Armeny's eloquent prose skillfully weaves together themes of love, loss, and resilience. The story unfolds with intricate layers, drawing readers into the lives of its protagonists as they navigate through personal turmoil and societal upheaval. Armeny's vivid descriptions transport readers to the vibrant settings, immersing them in the rich tapestry of the narrative. With its evocative storytelling and memorable characters, "Swallows Also Fall" is a captivating read that lingers in the mind long after the final page is turned. Along with OPs review I believe this is a great book, page turner.
Mercy Bolo
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-bolo.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Mercy Bolo »

The author narrates the story of Marcelino Massana who was a member of the resistance group the Maquis and a significant figure in the Spanish Civil War. The author fills in the gaps in Marcelino's life through information passed down to the residents of the city of Berga.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”