Review of Swallows Also Fall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ukaegbu Confidence
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Balkan Air by Aydin Kavara
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 11%

Re: Review of Swallows Also Fall

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

"Swallows Also Fall" by CR Armeny seems to be a well-rooted history book about Marceli, who lost his parents to the Spanish flu. However, this work of fiction will amaze readers of the genre.
Azi Joseph
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azi-joseph.html
Latest Review: Living a Life in Balance by Abdullah Boulad

Post by Azi Joseph »

"Swallows Also Fall" by CR Armeny . Thank you for this wonderful review, Your explanation of the book's strengths, particularly the way it fills gaps in historical knowledge and weaves together limited information, is compelling. I also appreciate your honesty about the narrative structure and perspective shifts, as it gives potential readers a well-rounded view of what to expect. Your high rating and recommendation will surely encourage others interested in historical narratives to pick up this book. Congratulations on being book of the day
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I admire the author's efforts to weave together historical facts and family legends to tell us the story of Marcelino Massana with the backdrop of Spanish Civil War. Thanks for the awesome review!
Bobbie Wolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobbie-wolf.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 65%

Post by Bobbie Wolf »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the book. The review gave me enough information to realize that this book might not be for me. I'm not particularly drawn to books "inclined towards history, especially historical wars and similar events." It seems like you enjoyed the book despite having to figure some things out to make sense of it. I read a few pages of the sample book and enjoyed the author's writing style. If the author were to change genres, I would definitely consider those books.
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this seems like an interesting memoir about Marcelino Massana who grew up in the tumultuous 1900s of Spain from the Spanish Flu to the Spanish Civil War. It might be worth a second look. Well done.
Kshitija Sonawane
Currently Reading: What the Soul Suspects
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kshitija-sonawane.html
Latest Review: The Cannoli Caper by Jeff V Erickson
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Kshitija Sonawane »

There are many people who don't get enough recognition, and some are even painted in the wrong light in history. The propaganda buries the truth beneath it but this is age of information and I am glad that awareness about the right history is being spread. Congratulations on BOTD, and best wishes for future projects.
Abhishek Kumar Gupta
Currently Reading: Beyond the Golden Door
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhishek-kumar-gupta.html
Latest Review: Iron Pigs by Nathan Dunlap
2024 Reading Goal: 365
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by Abhishek Kumar Gupta »

Thank you for sharing your detailed review of "Swallows Also Fall" by CR Armeny. It's fascinating to learn about Marcelino Massana's complex life and his involvement in historical events like the Spanish Civil War. Your insights into the book's structure and narrative flow are insightful, pointing out some minor points that could enhance the reading experience for others.

It's heartening to hear that despite the gaps in historical records, the author has managed to create a compelling narrative about Marcelino Massana, shedding light on his lesser-known early life. The personal connection the author has to Marcelino's foster family adds a layer of passion and authenticity to the storytelling.

Your rating of 5 out of 5 stars and recommendation for history enthusiasts highlight the book's merit in exploring lesser-known aspects of history and individual stories within larger historical events. Thank you again for your thoughtful review, which provides valuable context for potential readers considering delving into this intriguing historical narrative.
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti
2024 Reading Goal: 75
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

This radical jumping of perspectives, in the context of the Spanish Civil War, sounds rad. I’m unexpectedly feeling very into this book.
Miss Snehal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-snehal.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Miss Snehal »

Swallows Also Fall by CR Armeny. The narrative, told through the eyes of Marcel-li Massana, a foster child turned revolutionary, offers a unique perspective on the Catalonian resistance movement. Armeny's vivid descriptions of the countryside and the characters are commendable. Congrats BOTD!
Gladis Ratish Kumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gladis-ratish-kumar.html
Latest Review: Secrets of Shadow Lane by C. K. Harris

Post by Gladis Ratish Kumar »

The review provided valuable insights. The book appears fascinating, with a plot set during the era of the Spanish flu. I'm excited to dive in and learn more about Marceli's journey following the death of his parents.
Kelvin Suraj
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-suraj.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Kelvin Suraj »

Great Review you have here . This historical novel delves into Marcelino's life during the Spanish Civil War, offering a unique perspective on his struggles and his fight against Franco's regime. Welldone
Ankit Gupta 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
2024 Reading Goal: 25

Post by Ankit Gupta 7 »

Yes literally this book was amazing and a extra shoop carried by it...i recommend u hardly to read this book
Ankit Gupta 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
2024 Reading Goal: 25

Post by Ankit Gupta 7 »

The review provided valuable insights. The book appears fascinating, with a plot set during the era of the Spanish flu. I'm excited to dive in and learn more about Marceli's journey following the death of his parents.
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

"Swallows Also Fall" by CR Armeny tells the story of Marcelino Massana, a man shaped by his harsh upbringing and later resistance against Franco's authoritarian regime in Spain. The book blends history with personal accounts to shed light on Marcelino's life, his struggles against oppression, and his role in the Spanish Civil War.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 562
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

This biographical account of  Marcelino Massana reveals engaging aspects of his revolutionary life and his relation to the Spanish Civil War.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”