Review of Swallows Also Fall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephen Christopher 1
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Obsidian Tomorrow by Chad Wannamaker
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Re: Review of Swallows Also Fall

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Family biographies are interesting to read. You mentioned that it switches POVs at times. Do you feel the book could be structured a little better to make this a little less confusing?
Reva Parker
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 491
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reva-parker.html
Latest Review: Dear Abigail by Richard Rees

Post by Reva Parker »

Thank you for your great review. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. I hope Marceli gets well. I also hope that he somehow has a life with love and happiness after losing both parents so young. I did think the writing and editing were well done in the sample, but I'm just not in the mood for stories about war and illnesses right now, so I will pass. I hope that many others will enjoy reading it.
Ram Sahni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-sahni.html
Latest Review: Fouling in Business and College Athletics by Gonzalo Fernandez

Post by Ram Sahni »

The story can serve as a gateway to further exploration of the Spanish Civil War. Readers may be inspired to delve deeper into the historical details and events surrounding the conflict.Congrats on #BOTD
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 695
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 71%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“Swallows Also Fall” by CR Armeny is a story about Marcelino Massana and it begins in 1944 during the Spanish Flu at the end of WWII and during the Spanish Civil War. Marcelino was a very sick baby with the Spanish Flu, his mother and father both died and his uncle took him to Solsona so that he could be raised in a church environment where strict rules would be imposed. The Spanish Civil War occurred when Franco took over and ruled with an authoritarian form of leadership. Marcelino grew up to oppose Franco and he formed a group of Maquis a.k.a. Resistors, to Franco’s rule. To learn more about Spanish history during this time period read “Swallows Also Fall”. I found the sample somewhat hard to follow but it supplemented the very good official review.
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Shades of My Mother by Nancy Descoteaux Culos

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

It looks like an interesting history book surrounding Marceli and the Spanish civil war and more, however, I think I will be skipping it for now. Thank you for your review!
Elijah Reuben
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah-reuben.html
Latest Review: Love All the Way by Aurora Carafa

Post by Elijah Reuben »

A well-written review 👏
I think the life of Marcelino including his struggles should be emulated by freedom fighters all over the world. It's never easy to achieve a desired goal.
Avinash Kumar Thakur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Avinash Kumar Thakur »

"Swallows Also Fall" doesn't just recount historical events; it breathes life into them through the eyes of its characters. As you turn the pages, you're not just reading about war-torn Europe; you're walking alongside individuals whose lives are irrevocably changed by the turmoil around them.

Armeny's characters are not just names on a page; they are people with hopes, fears, and dreams. You feel their love, their loss, and their resilience as they grapple with the uncertainties of war. From the tender moments of connection amidst chaos to the heart-wrenching farewells, every scene is imbued with a deeply human touch.

What sets "Swallows Also Fall" apart is its meticulous attention to historical detail. It's not just about the big events; it's about the small moments that shape lives. Armeny's research shines through, painting a vivid picture of the era with authenticity and depth. You can almost feel the weight of history as you immerse yourself in the world of the novel.

But perhaps what resonates most deeply is the novel's exploration of the human spirit. In the face of adversity, Armeny's characters display remarkable courage, sacrifice, and determination. Their stories remind us of the strength that lies within each of us, even in the darkest of times.

In the end, "Swallows Also Fall" is more than just a historical novel; it's a testament to the resilience of the human spirit. It's a reminder that even in the midst of chaos, love, hope, and courage endure, offering solace and inspiration to readers long after the final page is turned.
Last edited by Avinash Kumar Thakur on 14 May 2024, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aremu-titilopemi-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Embody Wholeness by Judith Hoaglund

Post by Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo »

Well, I've fallen in love with history books these days so I would love to read the book. Kudos to the author for winning BOTD with this book!
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Abiodunakinola »

In “Swallows Also Fall” by CR Armeny, the life of Marcelino Massana is intricately woven with the history of the Spanish Civil War, providing a nuanced perspective on his struggles against authoritarian rule. The author's connection to Marceli's foster family adds a personal touch, making this historical account both passionate and compelling despite the challenges of limited source material. Nice review.
EBERE WRITES COCEPT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-writes-cocept.html
Latest Review: America's Election Handbook 2024 by Charles Patton

Post by EBERE WRITES COCEPT »

I'm fascinated by CR Armeny's ability to shed light on lesser-known historical figures like Marcelino Massana in 'Swallows Also Fall'. The author's deep dive into Marcelino's life and his resistance against oppression is both enlightening and inspiring. Congrats on the BOTD.
MMcB
Favorite Book: Island of Missing Trees
Currently Reading: The Elephant(s) in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmcb.html
Latest Review: Ungraduated by Ken Hannaman
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by MMcB »

Thank you for the interesting review of “Swallows Also Fall" by CR Armeny. I do not think there are many books about the life of Marcelino Massana and his involvement in the Spanish Civil War and all that happened during that historical period. I am glad to know this book looks at his life, from childhood on and includes information about his political views. This seems like a great read!
If you're going through hell, keep going.
~ Sir Winston Churchill
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: Arcadia by Stanley Michelsen

Post by Veronica Hunter »

CR Armeny's 'Swallows Also Fall' is a testament to the untold stories of bravery and resistance during the Spanish Civil War. Marcelino Massana's journey from a sickly child to a courageous freedom fighter is insightful. Congratulations on the book of today award.
Rahul Singh 29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-singh-29.html
Latest Review: Fortune Cookie by John R. Johnson
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Rahul Singh 29 »

“Swallows Also Fall” by C.R. Armeny offers a compelling tale of historical fiction, blending the personal struggles and political upheavals of Marcelino Massana’s life with the broader context of the Spanish Civil War. Congratulations to the author, #BOTD!
Life is a play where we are the actors and the audience, We laugh and cry, love and hate, create and destroy,
We seek to know ourselves and others, to belong and to be free, We accept what we can and change what we must.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 695
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 71%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

Hi @_Rhea Jacob, I just read your comments on the official review of "Swallows Also Fall" and while I am a history buff, I found the sample a little hard to follow so I will probably not read the entire book. I have so many books to read and not enough time to read them. @Mrlefty0706
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Anu Anand »

"Swallows Also Fall" by CR Armeny vividly captures the struggles during the Spanish Civil War, detailing the harsh impact of the Spanish Flu, the authoritarian rule of Franco, and the resistance of the "Maquis." The book offers a passionate and well-researched historical account. Congrats on BOTD!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”