Review of The Impatient American

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: The Bear with No Hair and the Mystery of the Stolen Fur Coat by Michelle Renee Avis

Review of The Impatient American

Post by Salome Ogani »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Impatient American" by Patrick J Roelle / Mr. Pat.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

We're willing to confront reality, even when it challenges our impatience and assumptions. Our emotions shape our reality, but what happens when we're not ready to face the truth? There, we discover the power to transform our lives for the better or worse.

Mr. Pat left the U.S. for Egypt in a bid to avoid an IRS agent who believed he owed $600,000 in payroll taxes. He needed to remain out of the country for at least a year to gain tax-free status, so when an American Egyptian Joint Venture, EGICON, offered him the job of a project director in the summer of 1986, he accepted, as the contract stated that he would be done by the next year. However, the news reports and movies he watched to gain insight into the situation in Egypt did not prepare him for what he saw. The series of events he experienced forced him to face reality, and they tested his patience, which he flunked most of the time. It changed his perspective on life and the world in general.

Based on the author's remarkable experiences, this true story follows one American's transformative journey as he immerses himself in Egyptian culture, uncovering the beauty and complexity of cultural differences and discovering the power of patience and empathy to bridge even the widest of gaps. I particularly enjoyed Mr. Pat's humor and quick wit, which added a charming layer of genuineness to the story. I enjoyed reading about Egypt's resources, especially agriculture, and how they get their food and agricultural products, or the people will starve. His description of Egypt (especially Cairo), its people, and the Nile River was informational, and I loved it. What I loved most about this book was the author's insights into poverty in third-world countries. In our abundance, we might start taking the basics for granted. This book made me reflect on all the privileges I have, and I was grateful for every other thing that makes life worthwhile.

The many inconsistencies in the spelling of most people's names in the book were a major turn-off for me, as well as the use of some abbreviations that were not fully explained for readers understanding. Also, I disliked the fact that the few sentences written in Arabic were not translated. I had to look them up myself on Google. I would also advise that the book undergo another round of editing, as it contains a lot of errors. As a result of these issues, I am rating the book 3 out of 5 stars. Honestly, I loved the book, and it would be my pleasure to give it a perfect star rating if the above-mentioned issues are fixed.

The Impatient American: In Egypt Where Two Cultures Clash by Patrick J. Roelle Sr./Mr. Pat is a book in which humor, empathy, and personal reflections play a part. On that note, I recommend the book to lovers of history and politics and also to those who enjoy memoirs and travelogues.

The Impatient American
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sandre Lamar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Sandre Lamar »

The themes explored in this book were thought-provoking and meaningful.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”