Review of Appetite for Risk

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Savina Visintin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savina-visintin.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley

Review of Appetite for Risk

Post by Savina Visintin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Appetite for Risk" by Robert R Abbott.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Robert R. Abbott had exceptional and unusual life experiences. In his memoir Appetite for Risk, he recounts all the risky experiences he has had by land, air, and water. His story unfolds between America, Africa (as a Peace Corps teacher as a young man, and many years later on safaris organized by Biologists without Borders), and Hawaii. In addition to his adventures, you will discover his romantic relationships, including his marriage, and you will read his reflections on the connection between genetics and propensity for risk.

This book is one of a kind, not only for the events it recounts but also for the way they are written. Abbott knows how to capture the reader's attention, and whether it is about how he risked his life skydiving or scuba diving or his relationships, there is always something captivating about the story. All the episodes are interesting and enjoyable to read, but if I had to choose my favorite, it would be the author's close encounter with a knife and a gun in the hands of Pauly, who later turns out to be a very dangerous guy.

I do not think the book has any negative sides, but perhaps some people may feel uncomfortable when the author talks about how he was involved in some girls having abortions and describes the violence in Africa. This depends on the taste and opinions of each reader, but I report it to avoid surprises for you.

I would also add that there are many typos, but if it were not for this, the book would be perfect.

It is only for the typos that I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars, but I consider it a compelling read that I heartily recommend to all of you. If you like stories about extraordinary lives, I am sure you will find Appetite for Risk as exciting as I did.

Appetite for Risk
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kauser Sajjad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kauser-sajjad.html
Latest Review: The Vine by Adria L. Dunn
2024 Reading Goal: 300
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kauser Sajjad »

"Appetite for Risk" by Robert R. Abbott is a gripping memoir that chronicles his daring adventures by land, air, and water across America, Africa, and Hawaii. Abbott's storytelling captivates readers with thrilling episodes like skydiving, scuba diving, and close encounters with danger. The memoir also delves into his romantic relationships and reflections on genetics and risk-taking. While some readers might find certain topics uncomfortable, such as abortions and African violence, the overall narrative is compelling and engaging. Despite some typos, the book's rich content and captivating writing earn it a solid 4 out of 5 stars. Highly recommended for those who enjoy tales of extraordinary lives.
Bernard Ndubuisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Bernard Ndubuisi »

From the review Appetite for Risk seems highly captivating adventure.
And the episodes of skydiving, scuba diving and the closed encounter with danger makes it looks so real and interesting.
The reviewer has done so well to catch my internet! on these one.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”