Review of Mountain Wave

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Review of Mountain Wave

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mountain Wave" by Joe Albea, Nathan Summers.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Mountain Wave" by Joe Albea and Nathan Summers tells the unforgettable experiences of Joe and his companions during the Caribou Hunting Expedition. In this book, Joe recounts his hunting journey in Alaska. He also tells us about his life-and-death moment trapped in Sandy Lake and his heroic struggles in the past. 

As a reader from Indonesia, I had to do research on Alaska before reading the book. I never experienced the tundra climate in my tropical equator country, so I need to do some background research before continuing the reading. 

I learned a lot about the climate, about living in Alaska, the fishing activities, and the hunting experiences there. I also learned some hunting preparation, plant terms, and medical issues like hypothermia. 

I enjoyed reading this book because of its gripping start to the heroic tales of life and death. Readers are taken through Joe and his friends' ordeal in Sandy Lake, starting with their preparations for hunting Caribou and Moose.

The author vividly described the atmosphere of his experience when documenting their fishing and hunting activities and encountering various flora and fauna. He described well the warmth of Sandy River Cabin, the tense situation during the Caribou hunt, and his observations. 

I rate the book 5 out of 5 for its detailed storytelling, engaging plot, and wonderful writing style. Joe vividly described his rescuers heroic moments. He also told us about how his group survived while waiting for help and his unforgettable experiences during that time.

The flawless editing also makes the reading experience smooth and enjoyable. From the stories, we learned about hunting preparations, Alaska's atmosphere, and surviving at critical conditions. 

Insights like mountain wave phenomena, first aid for hypothermia, and caribou hunting are also invaluable for us when doing the same experience in the future. 

The shortcomings of the book are that readers from tropical regions may struggle with some new terms and differences in cultural contexts. Additional notes for unfamiliar readers might help to improve the audience experience when reading the book. This book may be better understood by those with regional similarities, Alaska visitors, or adventure enthusiasts. 

I appreciate the author's effort in adding additional notes at the end regarding the reality of survival in critical conditions. The author also gives explanations about mountain waves that can endanger lake visitors. 

Knowledge of these phenomena is important to prevent similar incidents. It also helps us to know what needs to be done in the future. The author explains it well, making him worthy of appreciation. I recommend the book to outdoor enthusiasts, adventure story lovers, and those curious about hunting and survival in Alaska. 

Mountain Wave
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Ashwini Tawade
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashwini-tawade.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Ashwini Tawade »

From your review, this book seems like a superb read. It is a good mix of exotic, adventurous, and informative content. I will definitely like to read this book. I appreciate you researching before reading this book. It's an inspiring quality in a reviewer.
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 50%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

This review by Tomy Chandrafrost paints "Mountain Wave" as an exhilarating adventure through Alaska's wilderness, filled with gripping tales of survival and camaraderie. As per reviewer the detailed storytelling and vivid descriptions immerse readers in the harsh yet captivating landscape, offering insights into hunting, survival skills, and the challenges of the tundra climate. The reviewer also told that despite potential cultural and contextual barriers for readers from tropical regions, the book's additional notes and explanations enhance understanding and appreciation, making it a compelling read for outdoor enthusiasts and adventure lovers worldwide.
Tomi Ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: A Killer Within by Rosemarie B. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

It's fascinating how "Mountain Wave" by Joe Albea and Nathan Summers takes readers on a gripping journey through the Caribou Hunting Expedition in Alaska. The vivid descriptions of the hunting experiences and the life-and-death moments in Sandy Lake truly immerse readers in the adventure. I can imagine how researching Alaska's climate and environment added to the reading experience, especially coming from a tropical country like Indonesia. The details about hunting preparations, survival skills, and encountering nature's challenges provide valuable insights for readers interested in such expeditions. Joe's storytelling and the engaging plot make the book a captivating read, offering a glimpse into the bravery and resilience needed in the wilderness.
Tomi Ahmed
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 620%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thank you very much for your beautiful review. It is interesting to know about the extreme adventures of the author in Alaska. Thanks for your personal insights too.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: The hyena stare
Bookshelf Size: 80
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 14%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

This is such an interesting read . I know also I struggle with jargon used in other parts of a country every now and then and that does make the book less relatable but your vocabulary grows. I cannot imagine how it would feel like to travel at such conditions and be expected to survive.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I love to read adventure books and I am looking forward to reading this one. As you said, a glossary and additional notes are important in such informative books.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

What I know about Alaska is that it is cold and it snows like most of the year. This means it has frozen lakes and you need to always dress heavy. I watch movie Walcot, so that's how I know about it. I am glad that you learnt something about Alaska, though.
Tomi Ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: A Killer Within by Rosemarie B. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

Your review of "Mountain Wave" by Joe Albea and Nathan Summers is insightful and thorough, providing a comprehensive look into the book's gripping narrative and its educational value. It's fascinating to hear about your unique perspective as a reader from Indonesia, highlighting the need for background research to fully appreciate the Alaskan setting and the challenges it presents. Your detailed exploration of the book's vivid descriptions and the life-and-death experiences of Joe and his companions truly conveys the intensity of their adventure.
Tomi Ahmed
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Grids of the Word Crosser - Complete Edition by Daniel Fonkem

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Your review makes the book sound like a must-read for adventure enthusiasts. Great job!
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 53%

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

The book shares the author's experiences in Alaska, including a life-and-death moment when he was trapped in Sandy Lake, as well as his heroic struggles in the past. I appreciate that you did some research to truly understand the author. This shows that you are invested in the book, giving your review a unique edge and richness. I am convinced this review accurately portrays the book's content, and it will surely spark readers' interest in discovering more about the book.
That I may know Him :arrow: Philippians 3:10
Gayatri Tripathi
Favorite Book: E M P Honeymoon
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayatri-tripathi.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Gayatri Tripathi »

Your review of "Mountain Wave" by Joe Albea and Nathan Summers is both insightful and thorough. It's great to see how you immersed yourself in the context of the book, especially considering your background from a tropical country like Indonesia. Your proactive research into the Alaskan climate and hunting practices shows your dedication to fully appreciating the narrative.

Your description of the book’s gripping start and the vivid storytelling truly captures the reader's attention. It’s evident that the detailed accounts of the hunting expedition and the life-and-death moments in Sandy Lake were both thrilling and educational for you. The way you highlighted the atmosphere, the tense situations, and the heroism involved adds depth to your review and helps potential readers understand what to expect.

Your rating of 5 out of 5 is well-supported by your points on the engaging plot, wonderful writing style, and smooth editing. It’s also valuable that you pointed out the potential challenge for readers from tropical regions due to unfamiliar terms and cultural differences. Your suggestion for additional explanatory notes is practical and would indeed enhance the reading experience for a broader audience.

The inclusion of insights like the mountain wave phenomena and first aid for hypothermia demonstrates the book's educational value. It’s clear that you found these aspects particularly useful and relevant, which adds another layer of appreciation for the book.

Your recommendation of the book to outdoor enthusiasts, adventure story lovers, and those curious about hunting and survival in Alaska is apt. The way you articulated your experience and the knowledge you gained from the book is likely to encourage others to explore it as well.

Thank you for sharing such a comprehensive and engaging review. It certainly makes "Mountain Wave" sound like a must-read for anyone interested in adventure and survival stories!
Rajaee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajaee.html

Post by Rajaee »

Reading this book would be an adventure. I like such books. It could provide knowledge about Alaska, its climate, cultures, and experiences. I agree with your opinion on the difficulty in understanding new cultures and terms.
Thanks for the review.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

Your review shows that this book is full of adventure and information about the way of life in Alaska. I do not know much about how caribou hunting is organized. Living in Canada, I do know about the extreme weather conditions. Your are correct: because I live in a similar climate, I can easily identify with the experiences in the book. :techie-studyinggray:
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Tour of Duty by William H. Coles
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Post by Martina Sette »

This book sounds like a captivating read, especially with its vivid portrayal of the Alaskan wilderness and the intense caribou hunting expedition. It's clear that the book not only entertained but also educated, providing valuable insights into survival techniques and the natural beauty of Alaska. Great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”