Review of Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ifeanyi Nwokike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Re: Review of Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age

Post by Ifeanyi Nwokike »

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age is quite educative highlighting different mental illnesses and its relationship with digital technologies. Am interested in understanding his thoughts shared in the book. Thanks!
mrspotter1025
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by mrspotter1025 »

As someone who is incredibly interested in psychology, I thought immediately that this would be something I would love to read. After reading your review, I am doubting whether I would find much enjoyment from reading it. While I do not always mind a more academic reading selection, I would rather not have to re-read sentences many times to understand unless it is a textbook and I am being graded.

I love learning, especially learning about psychology, but if there are many sentences that are similar to what is quoted in your review, it seems like the object of the book is to highlight the author's intellect rather than to inform and educate the reader.

Thanks for your review.
MARTHA UGOCHI ASOGWA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martha-ugochi-asogwa.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by MARTHA UGOCHI ASOGWA »

The depth at which the book explores these topics is commendable, offering a profound perspective that goes beyond surface-level discussions. Readers will likely appreciate the author's unique take on these subjects and be pleasantly surprised by the factual revelations within the book.
Martina Sette
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 153%

Post by Martina Sette »

This book offers a multifaceted exploration of mental health, blending personal opinions with scientific insights and historical context. I think the novel's depth and unique perspectives make it thought-provoking. Congrats!
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

This is a detailed book looking into mental illness, from both modern and historical viewpoints. According to the OBC review, the writing style can be overly complex, making it a difficult read for most.
Alissa Deann Devargas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-deann-devargas.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Alissa Deann Devargas »

This book sounds enlightening. I'm interested to know more about Martin's thoughts on the several issues related to mental illness, such as identity, suicide, the media, and especially Donald Trump's hair.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Conversations with a Sage by Rand Law

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I think my curiosity was really piqued when I arrived at the statement about Trump's hair. I am wondering what the analogy could be about, but I guess I have to read the book to find out. It is true that the use of complex sentences repeatedly could prove disastrous and even bore many readers.
Many thanks for the review. :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Alissa Deann Devargas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-deann-devargas.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Alissa Deann Devargas »

This book sounds enlightening. I'm interested to know more about Martin's thoughts on the several issues related to mental illness, such as identity, suicide, the media, and especially Donald Trump's hair.
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this seems like an interesting book focusing on mental illnesses relating to identity concerns, addictions and other aspects and attempting to understand them in light of the digital age. It might be worth a second look. Well done.
Seamstress
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85

Post by Seamstress »

Definitely not my cup of tea, both because I don't like reading non-fiction and because, despite the seriousness of the topic, I am not interested in studying any type of mental illness. Sorry, I will have to pass, but congratulations with BOTD, anyway!
Rose Angela
Favorite Author: Lisa Kleypas
Favorite Book: God of Wrath
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5547

Post by Rose Angela »

"Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age" by Elliott B. Martin, Jr. is a thought-provoking exploration of how digital technology is reshaping our understanding of mental health. It offers insightful perspectives on the intersection of technology and mental health, making it a valuable read for those interested in psychology and digital innovation.
R Chinaza Onwuka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-chinaza-onwuka.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by R Chinaza Onwuka »

Thanks for the great review. The book is a blend of the author's personal insights and scientifically-backed information, along with references for further exploration. It delves into the world of substance abuse, exploring how some use alcohol as a misguided coping mechanism for suicidal ideation.
azza lia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azza-lia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by azza lia »

The topic is undoubtedly thought provoking. the author's writing style is quite challenging. suited for intellectual and academic readers. Maybe the author tried to educate the readers about ancient language through thse complex writing style? I doubt that this book would be a good fit for me. Thank you for your honest review.
Paul Great Grace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-great-grace.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg
2024 Reading Goal: 70
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by Paul Great Grace »

Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age is a book that perfectly matches its title. I highly recommend it. Congratulations on being the Book of the Day.
Deborah Belanger
Currently Reading: The Bulletproof Missionary
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Deborah Belanger »

Thank you for your honest review on "Reconceptualizing Mental Illness in the Digital Age" by Elliott B. Martin, Jr.. I will not be putting this book on my shelf because of your review letting me know how difficult a read this is. Psychology is difficult a subject to read in the first place without an author explaining the subject in run on words that are difficult to understand.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”