Review of Cusick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 339
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Never Let Go by Sultan Nasser

Review of Cusick

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cusick" by Philip Amortila.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Cusick: Champion Without Cause by Philip Amortila is based on the story of Johnny “Nipper” Cusick, a boxing champion of the 1930s and 1940s, narrated by his manager and coach, John Bennett. Bennett tells of when he first met Johnny while frequenting unlicensed boxing matches. He’d heard of an up-and-coming boxer and found Johnny in one of these matches. Johnny had boxed for 15 rounds and then fainted from malnutrition. Even though his opponent was declared the winner, the fact that Johnny had endured and lasted for so long under such conditions impressed Bennett. He got Johnny out of his existing contract, and they started working together. Throughout their relationship, they had some good and bad matches, and they dealt with many issues, including Johnny’s struggles with his weight before matches, board decisions that were seemingly biased against Johnny, and so much more.

I like boxing, so I found this book thrilling. I also learned a lot about the sport. Cusick: Champion Without Cause showed me that boxing is more than just two people going into the ring and punching each other; there’s so much that goes into preparing for a boxing match: licensing, bets, the weighing process, contracts, etc. The book kept me on my toes for its duration; it was filled with many ups and downs, and I didn’t know what would become of Johnny. I loved that the characters, especially Johnny, were flawed; it made them relatable. I also enjoyed the fact that there were pictures in the book.

From Bennett’s story, it’s clear that he and Johnny had more than a professional relationship; he genuinely cared for Johnny. Bennett went over and above just being Johnny’s manager. He got Johnny a job and his license reinstated, arranged fights, and coached him on areas of improvement, all of which showed that he didn’t just see Johnny as a meal ticket like most managers were wont to do.

I have absolutely no dislikes regarding this book. It was cleanly written, and the editing was impeccable. Cusick: Champion Without Cause by Philip Amortila is definitely deserving of a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

Cusick
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by David Awunor »

Not quite my preferred genre, but I'm glad you found enjoyment in the book. Your review was nicely detailed.
Kareen Hez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareen-hez.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Kareen Hez »

From your review, I see Johnny as a very dedicated character and feel he's fortunate to have found Bennett to help him improve his skills. Even though I am not a fan of boxing, I would like to give the book a try, just because it is based on the true story of a dedicated boxer. Thank you for the great review! :tiphat:
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 339
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Never Let Go by Sultan Nasser

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Kareen Hez wrote: 24 May 2024, 12:22 From your review, I see Johnny as a very dedicated character and feel he's fortunate to have found Bennett to help him improve his skills. Even though I am not a fan of boxing, I would like to give the book a try, just because it is based on the true story of a dedicated boxer. Thank you for the great review! :tiphat:
Thank you Kareen! I hope you enjoy it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”