Review of Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chidinma Dijeh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chidinma-dijeh.html
Latest Review: Brian, Created Intelligence by AJ Pagan IV

Review of Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter

Post by Chidinma Dijeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter" by Mark Gumbrell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Enlightenment for the Things That Really Matter" by Mark Gumbrell embarks on a captivating journey through the lives of ordinary people, mixing a narrative rich in history, social commentary, and philosophical inquiry. 

The book is divided into four parts, each focusing on a different family lineage. Part One introduces us to Charles James Cousins and his wife, Margaret Price. Charles, a coal miner in 19th-century England, grappled with harsh working conditions and the effects of inequality. Margaret, faced with illiteracy and the loss of many children, embodies the struggles of women during that era. Their stories highlight the impact of societal structures on health, happiness, and social cohesion. The book argues that societies with greater equality tend to be more prosperous and harmonious. Part Two shifts focus to Phillip Ellis and Sarah Ellis, along with their children. Phillip, a gamekeeper, exemplifies the ethical dilemmas surrounding wildlife management practices. Sarah's tragic story, marked by epilepsy and societal neglect towards people with disabilities, prompts reflection on empathy and the treatment of marginalized groups. The narrative also touches on the potential regrets of future generations regarding animal welfare and our current moral stances. Part Three dives into the life of Daniel Gumbrell, a man dedicated to his work despite facing unfair labor practices. The book contrasts the hardships of the Victorian era with the resilience and community spirit of the working class. Additionally, it explores philosophical and religious debates, including the nature of God, the impact of religion on society, and the challenges of irrationality exemplified by William Herbert Daniel Gumbrell's experience with OCD. Part Four follows the Jones family across generations. Their stories, including Thomas R. Jones' struggle as a miner, Watkin Jones' sacrifice in World War I, and Emlyn Jones' battle with Parkinson's amidst financial hardship, illuminate the hollowness of chasing material wealth and success. The book proposes mindfulness, empathy, and personal development as avenues to find meaning and fulfillment in life. It introduces the concept of Lojong, a Buddhist practice for mental training, as a path to individual and societal improvement.

The book offers a refreshing perspective on self-improvement by grounding it in real-life experiences. The book is highly expository and educational. By combining historical narratives, the book avoids generic advice, instead prompting readers to think critically about what constitutes a meaningful life. The use of ordinary people's stories makes the book relatable. We connect with their struggles, triumphs, and choices, gaining valuable insights applicable to our own lives. The book challenges societal norms surrounding material success and promotes empathy, compassion, and ethical behavior. The historical context adds depth to the narrative. Exploring past moral failings like slavery and inequality allows readers to reflect on societal progress and consider future ethical challenges posed by advancements like artificial intelligence. This fosters critical thinking and encourages readers to engage with important philosophical and religious debates. The inclusion of photographs makes the book more engaging. 

These are the things I dislike about this book. The book is slightly complex, which makes it almost unengaging. What I mean is that the book isn't arranged into chapters, and it has a high academic tone, which might make it challenging for first-time readers. The book contains criticisms of various aspects of religion, particularly focusing on Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. It questions the validity of religious beliefs, criticizes practices such as circumcision and ritual slaughter, and highlights negative aspects of religious teachings, such as the promotion of revenge and violence. It also discusses the concept of morality within religious texts, citing examples of slavery, intolerance, and discrimination. The author's attempt to force the idea that Buddhism is a better religion than other religions doesn't captivate me, which I perceive as biased or disrespectful. These negative aspects made me deduct a star from my rating. I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars because it offers a unique perspective on the pursuit of a meaningful life. 

The book is professionally edited. I found a few errors in it. This book is particularly suited for individuals who enjoy engaging with complex ideas and are willing to question their own beliefs. However, due to its controversial nature and critical stance on religion, I would recommend this book to readers who are comfortable exploring challenging and potentially contentious topics. It may not be suitable for those who are deeply devout in their religious beliefs or who may find discussions that challenge religious doctrines unsettling.

Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
View: on Bookshelves
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

I love how the author, made this book into three distinctive parts, and makes the reader compare the lives of the various families.
Iqra Abdulsattar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Iqra Abdulsattar »

I just really that how beautifully it is described.
The author used his family history and philosophical reflection to portray and advice to us it is not only normal human beings who deserve care, happiness, and kindness rather any sentient being who has feelings both normal and abnormal deserves to be shown kindness and empathy and by doing so the world will be a better and enjoyable place for all to live.
Bernard Ndubuisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Bernard Ndubuisi »

Apart from the complexity of the book, I believe that both the circumcise and the uncircumcised deserves compassion and empathy and not discrimination.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”