Review of Race for a Remedy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Robert Cortes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-cortes.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of Race for a Remedy

Post by Robert Cortes »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Race for a Remedy" by Makhdum Ahmed.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“Race for a Remedy: The Science and Scientists behind the Next Life-Saving Cancer Medicine” by Makhdum Ahmed, MD, is an expository novel that educates us on the quest by scientists to find the cure for leukemia and cancer from as far back as 1877 to the 21st century. It is on record that cancer kills two thousand people every day in America and several others worldwide on a daily basis. Yet, cancer has defied all the efforts of the scientific community to find a permanent cure. The narrator, Makhdum, describes the efforts that science has gone through to combat this disease, which kills in an agonizing manner, affecting victims from children to adults, tearing families apart, destroying dreams, and bringing tears to the eyes of brave individuals. Makhdum teaches us that as early as 1877, a German scientist named Paul Ehrlich tried to find a cure for cancer using dye to test human cells. This became the foundation for other scientists to build on in the 19th century. Genomic science then became the focus for scientists in the 19th century, with scientists such as Collins and Venter leading the field. They eventually came up with CRA-32765, which they believed was a breakthrough cure for cancer. However, this solution was not convincing enough for the FDA, and as such, it was not given the needed approval. But scientists did not give up easily. By the 20th and 21st centuries, several scientists had developed different vaccines to cure cancer, as opposed to using traditional chemotherapy on patients. Richard Miller, Jeff Sharman, Ahmed Hamdy, Michael Wang, Simon Rule, Jenner, Milstein & Kohler, and the narrator himself, along with other individuals and groups in America, Britain, the United Kingdom, China, and elsewhere, were at the forefront of producing a vaccine that would treat cancer permanently. This book chronicles their struggles, including their successes and failures.

What I like about the novel is the "never say die" attitude of the scientists and humans to always look for a solution to any problem that is dangerous to mankind. Individuals become selfless by ensuring that they find the solution to cancer, risking their health, finances, relationships, and medical reputations. The ability to bring hope and smiles to the faces of millions who depend on this vaccine and the desire to make life better for all are highly commendable. The determination never to relent, even when all hope seems lost, shows the good side of humanity. Individuals far away strive to find a solution to a disease that they feel should not be beyond human comprehension to stop since humanity has continued to evolve from generation to generation, overcoming health risks and improving living standards to make the world a safe place to live peacefully. The book is presented in an easy-to-understand way without difficulty in understanding the basics of the medical revelations it tends to make, despite the technicality of the field.

I'd rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because I don't have anything to dislike about it and for its exceptional editing. I found no grammar errors in it either.

This book would be of benefit to readers who want to be updated with the history of human endeavors in curing diseases that plague humanity. Generally, everyone can relate to this book because it talks about our struggles to make healthcare more effective, and health is everyone's concern.

Race for a Remedy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that the summary you have written of this book is very good. I am glad that there are books on this subject. The author is to be praised for his ability to stick with it along with the others that are mentioned. Thanks!
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 95
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

We all imagine a greater future . A future without cancer or atleast a cure. And it still pains me to see that there still isn't. Whenever we have a family member with cancer we can't help but be reminded that through genetics also we just might get it. It is scary . This is a great review and very informative too
Be yourself and nothing less
R Chinaza Onwuka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-chinaza-onwuka.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by R Chinaza Onwuka »

"Race for a Remedy" is a powerful story of scientific triumph against cancer. Makhdum traces the journey from 1877's early pioneers like Ehrlich to the cutting-edge vaccine research today. We see the relentless pursuit despite roadblocks like the unapproved CRA-32765. Scientists like Miller and Wang inspire with their "never give up" spirit. The book is clear and engaging, making complex science understandable. It highlights the global collaboration - from America to China - in the fight for a cancer cure. A must-read for anyone interested in medical history and the hope for a healthier future.
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Post by Sunday N Florence »

The book emphasizes the relentless determination of scientists to overcome the challenge of cancer, which continues to claim lives daily.
Scholastica Daniel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Breaking the Mold
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scholastica-daniel.html
Latest Review: If... and other stories by Claire Frieze

Post by Scholastica Daniel »

Cancer is one disease that has baffles man for centuries, to the point that many who has cancer has resigned themselves to death. Due to high cost of treatment which are not a 100% guarantee. This is a good review.
Sinachi Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinachi-azuka.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Sinachi Azuka »

I don't think I am glad with this book. We still have Cancer and it is just maintaining the tumors I am aware of. However, this book is a proof that scientists are trying their best to develop something.
Bernard Ndubuisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Bernard Ndubuisi »

I appreciate the determination of the author to put a smile and hope to people face health challenges. The book is well edited and review.
obinna Sharon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obinna-sharon.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by obinna Sharon »

Nice review. I will love to read this. The book cover is eye-catching and simple.
Ivan Kovic
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-kovic.html
Latest Review: The Truth Is Beyond Belief! by Jerry Durr

Post by Ivan Kovic »

This review effectively conveys the essence of “Race for a Remedy,” focusing on the dedication and perseverance of scientists over the years.
Joy Stanley
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-stanley.html
Latest Review: Young Americans by Peter S. Rush

Post by Joy Stanley »

This review conveys the author’s message in a very vivid manner. Now I’m inquisitive to know more about the book.
Goodness Kene
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-kene.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Goodness Kene »

I hate the sound of cancer. I hate that it exists and is real, and I hope a solution comes up really soon. Thanks for this review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”