Review of I Chose Me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Foundlings and Fisherman from Tumby by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Review of I Chose Me

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Chose Me" by John Marcus Brown.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In I Chose Me, John Marcus Brown invites readers on a deeply personal journey of self-discovery and empowerment. This inspiring memoir delves into the author's transformation as he confronts past challenges, embraces self-love, and learns the true value of prioritizing oneself.

The book is organized into seven chapters, each addressing different aspects of Brown’s journey. The author underscores the significance of discovering and nurturing one’s passion, emphasizing how purpose and focus are crucial for success. A central theme is the transformative power of self-love. Brown critiques societal views on love, arguing that true love starts with self-acceptance and self-care. He introduces Tyson Silas, a key figure in his life, whose teachings on self-mastery and overcoming obstacles deeply influenced him. Additionally, Brown examines the discomfort and challenges of personal growth, learning to accept reality and people as they are. He reflects on the resilience needed to overcome setbacks and how embracing challenges has strengthened his character.

One of the ideas in the book that I really enjoyed was the author's observation about our current era. He describes it as an "Era of Escapism," characterized by an influx of delusion. We are living in a time where many people are running from something, and technology has made it significantly easier to escape from reality or hide from it. The author notes that we can do just about anything to avoid confronting ourselves. I agree with him on this point and believe it should be addressed by more influential individuals who have the potential to make an impact.

Another aspect that resonated with me was the chapter discussing self-love. The author illustrates this with the scenario of a couple, one of whom carries unresolved trauma, opting not to address it. Consequently, the other partner ends up battling challenges not meant for them. This portrayal struck a chord with me, highlighting how even a stable individual entering a relationship with positivity and sincerity may still face struggles due to the other person's choice to avoid confronting past negative experiences.

Lastly, I appreciate the candor with which the author talks about his own past experiences, highlighting emotions like disappointment, heartache, frustration, and betrayal, which are relatable to readers everywhere.

There is nothing to dislike about this book. I am pleased to have come across it and had the opportunity to gain insight into the author's journey and the lessons he learned. However, I must issue a caution: in one of the chapters, a character contemplates suicide. This topic might not be suitable for all readers, so discretion is advised.

In conclusion, I Chose Me encourages readers to prioritize themselves, confront their inner struggles, and find strength in their authenticity. I recommend it to self-help enthusiasts, people facing personal challenges, and those interested in mental health. Aspiring writers, fans of memoirs, young adults, and college students may also find it valuable. The book appears to have been professionally edited, with very few grammatical errors encountered. Consequently, I award it 5 out of 5 stars. John Marcus Brown provides a compelling guide for anyone seeking to navigate the complexities of life with confidence and grace.

I Chose Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

A book about mental health issues kinda sounds captivating for me. As a fans of this kind book I found that your review intrigued me. It make me keen to delve inside the book when I got the chance later. Thanks for writing this
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
R Chinaza Onwuka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-chinaza-onwuka.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by R Chinaza Onwuka »

Even without reading the book I love everything about it. Maybe this is because I choose Me every single time. The escapism is really doing a lot of harm in this era . I totally enjoyed reading your review.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:

Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 20 May 2024, 10:46 A book about mental health issues kinda sounds captivating for me. As a fans of this kind book I found that your review intrigued me. It make me keen to delve inside the book when I got the chance later. Thanks for writing this
My pleasure! I truly hope you find the time to explore this book. Focusing on self-love and making yourself a priority are important steps that everyone should consider at some point in their life.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:

R Chinaza Onwuka wrote: 21 May 2024, 03:56 Even without reading the book I love everything about it. Maybe this is because I choose Me every single time. The escapism is really doing a lot of harm in this era . I totally enjoyed reading your review.
I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed my review. I sincerely hope you get a chance to delve into this book. Regarding escapism, technology has greatly facilitated our ability to detach from or avoid reality, whether on a small or large scale. This is both thought-provoking and enlightening.
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 153%

Post by Martina Sette »

This book is indeed a powerful and inspiring memoir. The exploration of self-love and personal growth is both relatable and transformative. His insights on our "Era of Escapism" and the dynamics of relationships are particularly interesting.
Chi Chiu Michael Mak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chi-chiu-michael-mak.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire by H. J. Chammas

Post by Chi Chiu Michael Mak »

Although I appreciate the themes of self-love, it's been repeated a lot in many books I've read. John's journey never felt particularly special.
I write the best reviews possible. :idea2:
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:

Chi Chiu Michael Mak wrote: 30 May 2024, 22:13 Although I appreciate the themes of self-love, it's been repeated a lot in many books I've read. John's journey never felt particularly special.
I believe the experience was deeply meaningful to him, which is why he felt compelled to write about it. If his writing can have a positive impact on even just one person, ultimately improving their life, then I believe that is a significant achievement.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”