Review of Beyond Pipe Dreams and Platitudes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Review of Beyond Pipe Dreams and Platitudes

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beyond Pipe Dreams and Platitudes" by Geraldine K. Piorkowski, Ph.D..]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In "Beyond Pipe Dreams and Platitudes," retired clinical psychologist Geraldine K. Piorkowski shares insights gleaned from over fifty years of exploring the human psyche. Through her insightful exploration, she uncovers fundamental psychological desires—love, belonging, and self-esteem—that transcend age, race, and culture. Piorkowski delves into how individuals, grappling with fears of rejection and inadequacy, employ coping mechanisms ranging from concealing vulnerabilities to seeking dominance.

The book boldly challenges prevailing cultural beliefs, exposing the limitations of positive thinking and contrasting the energizing force of anger with the paralyzing grip of sadness. The author illustrates these points with poignant anecdotes, like that of Harold, a catatonic patient who declared, "Madness is better than sadness," upon his recovery, elucidating how anger empowers action while sadness stifles it.

Emphasizing vulnerability's pivotal role in nurturing intimacy, the book explores themes such as autonomy, luck, and healthy narcissism. It underscores the link between empathy, altruism, and religious practices, demonstrating how acts of compassion boost self-esteem and foster fulfillment. Furthermore, Piorkowski argues that a positive approach to religion provides a cohesive life philosophy and supportive community, leading to personal enrichment and happiness.

Through her eloquent prose, Piorkowski guides readers on a transformative journey, transcending clichés to unveil the core of human resilience and connection. Her book impresses with its concise yet polished writing, bolstered by a clever structure and accessible tone. Each chapter concludes with a helpful summary, ensuring an enjoyable and informative reading experience.

The editing is professionally executed, with only negligible oversights. I found nothing to dislike about this book, and I confidently rate it 5 out of 5 stars.

"Beyond Pipe Dreams and Platitudes" is a compelling nonfiction book that combines insightful psychology, practical wisdom, myth debunking, and captivating storytelling, all drawn from Piorkowski's wealth of experience. It offers concise, accessible, and engaging insights, making it a must-read for anyone interested in personal growth, human behavior, and life's deeper questions.

Beyond Pipe Dreams and Platitudes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that this book only brings to light things that everyone already knows. It may, however, be just the act of reading that convinces some. Pierkowski has obviously done her research and the case studies seem to add an air of reality to the narrative. Thanks!
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

I am happy to know that this book has polished prose and is well edited.

People are vulnerable. How we cope with this vulnerability and our support network is a critical factor in finding happiness in life. It is difficult to write about this in clear and concise terms without being overly repetitive. This author's skillful writing probably was able to jump that hurdle. I am interested in reading this thought-provoking book. Thank you for a detailed and informative review as always, Claudia. :techie-studyinggray:
Zeph Dim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeph-dim.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Zeph Dim »

Thanks for this review. I look forward to reading this book to understand better the human psyche. Better empathy is created when we have deeper understanding of who people are and why they behave as they do.
Most times, our actions and reactions are governed by our self worth.
Claudia Angelucci
Currently Reading:

Amy Luman wrote: 26 May 2024, 17:15 I think that this book only brings to light things that everyone already knows. It may, however, be just the act of reading that convinces some. Pierkowski has obviously done her research and the case studies seem to add an air of reality to the narrative. Thanks!
Thank you, Amy. You are right; the author's extensive experience of over 50 years significantly contributed to the book. Thanks again!
Claudia Angelucci
Currently Reading:

Gerry Steen wrote: 26 May 2024, 18:21 I am happy to know that this book has polished prose and is well edited.

People are vulnerable. How we cope with this vulnerability and our support network is a critical factor in finding happiness in life. It is difficult to write about this in clear and concise terms without being overly repetitive. This author's skillful writing probably was able to jump that hurdle. I am interested in reading this thought-provoking book. Thank you for a detailed and informative review as always, Claudia. :techie-studyinggray:
Thank you, Gerry! I am sure you will find the book very interesting. All the best!
Claudia Angelucci
Currently Reading:

Zeph Dim wrote: 27 May 2024, 05:26 Thanks for this review. I look forward to reading this book to understand better the human psyche. Better empathy is created when we have deeper understanding of who people are and why they behave as they do.
Most times, our actions and reactions are governed by our self worth.
Thank you, Zeph! I'm sure you'll enjoy this book. All the best!
Terry Kimble
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terry-kimble.html
Latest Review: Full Circle by Sam Bierstock

Post by Terry Kimble »

Claudia, I enjoyed reading another one of your excellent, informative reviews. It is apparent that you gleaned helpful insights from the book. Although I find so many self-help books repeating the same advice wrapped up in different bows (prose), your review has inspired me to give this one a look--it may be one I can refer to others looking for solid self-help tools. :tiphat:
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by David Awunor »

I enjoyed reading your reviews. I find this book interesting. I hope it helped you personally as well.
Chi Chiu Michael Mak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chi-chiu-michael-mak.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire by H. J. Chammas

Post by Chi Chiu Michael Mak »

Advice is helpful, but I feel like the content could be trimmed down into 12 threads on Twitter. It's a tad too repetitive.
I write the best reviews possible. :idea2:
Claudia Angelucci
Currently Reading:

Terry Kimble wrote: 28 May 2024, 10:27 Claudia, I enjoyed reading another one of your excellent, informative reviews. It is apparent that you gleaned helpful insights from the book. Although I find so many self-help books repeating the same advice wrapped up in different bows (prose), your review has inspired me to give this one a look--it may be one I can refer to others looking for solid self-help tools. :tiphat:
Thank you, Terry. I agree with you. Lots of these self-help books repeat the same advice dressed differently. This one is not one of them, I have to say. On the contrary, it is very controversial. It stuck with me, the idea of "better to be mad than sad." Don't be sad or upset; be angry instead. Anger, even if considered a negative emotion, will lead to action. It is a different book indeed. Thank you, Terry. All the best!
Claudia Angelucci
Currently Reading:

David Awunor wrote: 30 May 2024, 05:35 I enjoyed reading your reviews. I find this book interesting. I hope it helped you personally as well.
Thank you very much, David. It is a very interesting book, and it certainly helped me. New knowledge is always valuable, and I learn from every book I read, though some more than others. Thank you again. All the best!
Claudia Angelucci
Currently Reading:

Chi Chiu Michael Mak wrote: 30 May 2024, 21:59 Advice is helpful, but I feel like the content could be trimmed down into 12 threads on Twitter. It's a tad too repetitive.
Thank you. Are you talking about the content of the book or my review? Thanks again, Chi.
Chi Chiu Michael Mak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chi-chiu-michael-mak.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire by H. J. Chammas

Post by Chi Chiu Michael Mak »

Claudia Angelucci wrote: 31 May 2024, 04:24
Chi Chiu Michael Mak wrote: 30 May 2024, 21:59 Advice is helpful, but I feel like the content could be trimmed down into 12 threads on Twitter. It's a tad too repetitive.
Thank you. Are you talking about the content of the book or my review? Thanks again, Chi.
I'm talking about the content of the book. Your review is fine don't worry :wink:
I write the best reviews possible. :idea2:
Claudia Angelucci
Currently Reading:

Chi Chiu Michael Mak wrote: 31 May 2024, 11:01
Claudia Angelucci wrote: 31 May 2024, 04:24
I'm talking about the content of the book. Your review is fine don't worry :wink:
Ah, OK 😅 Thank you, Chi! :D

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”