Review of Shades of My Mother

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
_Rhea Jacob
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review of Shades of My Mother

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shades of My Mother" by Nancy Descoteaux Culos.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Shades of My Mother by Nancy Descoteaux Culos tells the tale of how the author made her way into the world of business, love, and nursing and gained success. Nancy was born in the 1940s and was the oldest of five children. While being the oldest came with some responsibilities, Nancy thrived and later got into nursing school when she began experiencing difficulties with her boyfriend. Was Nancy able to complete nursing school? Grab a copy of the book to find out more!

There were so many things to like about the book. My favorite was the vivid descriptions the author gave about the people, the events and interactions that took place, and the scenery. I could imagine how the streets and buildings in the 1940s and 1950s looked, as well as how the people dressed and talked. The author helped me visualize the people more clearly by providing photos, which I was grateful for. The book was also very detailed and written in an honest manner, and it made me think about a woman’s place in the late 1900s and how the author was courageous, bold, and driven to get what she wanted.

There was nothing I disliked about the book. I was absorbed in reading the author’s experiences with different people and different situations. However, I did notice some typos and errors in the book that may need to be revised.

Overall, I rate the book 4 out of 5 stars for the reasons above, with one star cut because of the errors. The book is a wonderful memoir, and I would recommend it to adults over 18 years of age who love reading memoirs and reading the experiences of women in the late 1900s. Viewer discretion is advised as there is minor sexual content profanity and mentions of verbal and physical marital abuse.

Shades of My Mother
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Severed Roots by Nego Huzcotoq
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t really enjoy memoirs such as this, but I do enjoy such good descriptions. The author has described everything very well. I am glad that photos were included to enhance the reading experience. Thanks!
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

Amy Luman wrote: 26 May 2024, 15:18 I don’t really enjoy memoirs such as this, but I do enjoy such good descriptions. The author has described everything very well. I am glad that photos were included to enhance the reading experience. Thanks!
Thanks for reading my review and replying!
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

The premise of this book looks interesting, considering the themes it addresses about business and love. Reading your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I adore books with vivid descriptions. This sounds like an interesting read. Good review!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Always Losing Something by Max Green
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 116%

Post by RJ Reviews »

The theme of the book sounds interesting, giving insights into the lives of women in the late 1900s. Nancy sounds like a strong, independent woman who could take life heads on. A beautiful review of a beautiful book. Looking forward to read more from you.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: The elderly Gentleman's Ulyssee by Hans Bodmer

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

Being the first born child is a a whole lot if pressure but am sure Nancy manages. She is a string and courageous woman who does her very best and even becomes successful. I loved reading your review.
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html

Post by David Awunor »

A well-written review. I like how detailed the author is. I enjoy memoirs, so I will add this to my reading list.
Kareen Hez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareen-hez.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Kareen Hez »

I like how the book enlightens readers about society in the 1900s, but since I'm not very interested in memoirs, I might not be the right audience for it. Thank you for the simple yet interesting review though! :tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”