Review of Teetering On A Tightrope

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 713
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 72%

Re: Review of Teetering On A Tightrope

Post by mrlefty0706 »

Hi @Harty Muli, I was also dismayed by the sexual assault at age 9 in the men's bathroom at the movie theatre. What really bothered me is mental health disease seems to be hereditary as shown where his brother Tommy and his three daughters all had mental health issues. This book helps bring these issues to mainstream America and hopefully these victims receive more than adequate counseling and the people that inherit mental illness should be told that it runs in the family and hopefully help will come before it is too late. @Mrlefty0706
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 93562
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 2114%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

painful journey of a man battling bipolar he help others manage their own experiences..nice book to read i will recomend
Somto Nwachukwu 1
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somto-nwachukwu-1.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Somto Nwachukwu 1 »

I think I bit more light should be shed on mental health issues, and memoirs will help alot. I admire the author's strength. The reviewer wrote a nice review.
Rebecca De Figueiredo
Favorite Book: Sent to Watch
Currently Reading: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-de-figueiredo.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Rebecca De Figueiredo »

This heart wrenching memoir by Steven Wilson was difficult to read at the beginning. As the reviewer so adroitly wrote, are his later problems a result of this attack or part of his makeup. The book is slightly difficult to read due to heavy paragraphs .
Aditya Bedarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 80%

Post by Aditya Bedarkar »

this great book, definetely worth it
Aditya Bedarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 80%

Post by Aditya Bedarkar »

A memoir about bipolar disorder told by a man who struggled throughout almost his entire life with it. An inside view of the consequences of such a disorder that can offer a first-hand idea of what it means to live with mental issues. Thank you for your great review!
Nabweteme Gloria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nabweteme-gloria.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Nabweteme Gloria »

Thank you for your perspective on review of "Teetering on a Tightrope." I'm glad you found the author's storytelling engaging and appreciated the context he provided about his life and the world around him. Your insights about the balance between the darker and lighter moments in the book are valuable. It's clear that the author’s journey deeply resonated with you, and your recommendation for a broader audience is much appreciated.
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Last Rhino: An African Wildlife Adventure by David Mark Quigley

Post by Seetha E »

Steven W. Wilson's memoir is about his journey as a bipolar person. As the review indicates, it is not a simple read. It will undoubtedly prove insightful to those suffering and their families. This is a comprehensive evaluation by the OBC reviewer. Congrats on BOTD!
Rajaee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajaee.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Rajaee »

I agree with you. It would have been better if this book had more positive and happier experiences and memories. Nevertheless, reading this book is a chance to know and understand bipolar disease from someone who has struggled with it.
Thanks for the review.
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Julius Peters »

"Teetering on a Tightrope: My Bipolar Journey" by Steven W. Wilson sounds like a profound memoir that offers a raw and honest look at living with type 2 bipolar disorder. according to your review, the author's narrative skillfully intertwines personal experiences with historical context, making it both informative and engaging. Despite the overall somber tone, the book's candidness still made it a compelling read. This memoir would definitely be a valuable resource for those seeking to understand bipolar disorder from a deeply personal perspective. Thank you for sharing your insights.
Abhishek Kumar Gupta
Currently Reading: Beyond the Golden Door
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhishek-kumar-gupta.html
Latest Review: Finding my Reflection by Frederick Mulae
2024 Reading Goal: 365
2024 Goal Completion: 27%

Post by Abhishek Kumar Gupta »

Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful review. It's clear that "Teetering on a Tightrope: My Bipolar Journey" offers a profound and honest look into Steven W. Wilson's life and struggles. I appreciate your insights into how the author intertwines his personal experiences with historical and societal contexts. Your point about wanting more focus on the positive aspects of his life for balance is well taken. This memoir sounds like a compelling read for those interested in understanding bipolar disorder from a deeply personal perspective.
Tomi Ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: A Killer Within by Rosemarie B. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

This review of *Teetering on a Tightrope: My Bipolar Journey* by Steven W. Wilson presents a comprehensive overview of the memoir, highlighting the author's candid exploration of his life with bipolar disorder. The reviewer appreciates Wilson's honest and clear writing, noting how the narrative is enriched by societal and historical context without overshadowing the central theme of mental illness. However, the predominant somber tone and focus on the author's struggles made the book a challenging read, leaving the reviewer feeling somewhat deflated. The deduction of one star reflects a desire for more emphasis on the positive aspects of Wilson's life to balance the narrative. Overall, the review recommends the book for adults interested in a personal perspective on bipolar disorder, emphasizing its professional editing and engaging prose.
Tomi Ahmed
Pablo Josue Mendia
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo-josue-mendia.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 250
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by Pablo Josue Mendia »

Thank you for your well-written review!

"Teetering on a Tightrope: My Bipolar Journey" by Steven W. Wilson is a candid memoir detailing his lifelong struggle with type II bipolar disorder. Starting with a childhood trauma and influenced by family dynamics, Wilson shares his battles with depression, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts. He addresses societal stigma, advocating for empathy and understanding. Despite setbacks, he finds hope through therapy, medication, and support. While the memoir lacks diverse perspectives and comprehensive solutions, it is a well-edited, insightful read. I also rated it 4 stars.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: The Bear with No Hair and the Mystery of the Stolen Fur Coat by Michelle Renee Avis

Post by Salome Ogani »

"Teetering on a Tightrope: My Bipolar Journey" by Steven W. Wilson is a raw and honest memoir that offers a deeply personal account of the author's lifelong struggle with bipolar disorder.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

While no one would wish to have a challenging childhood, it seems that Steven W. Wilson's challenges were a blessing to the human family as evidenced in "Teetering On A Tightrope". I'll make plans to read it.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”