Official Review: Somewhere the Sun is Shining

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Official Review: Somewhere the Sun is Shining

Post by ananya92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Somewhere the Sun is Shining" by Alexis R. Strong.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Somewhere the Sun is Shining: Look for the Silver Lining by Alexis Strong and Norma Strong is a book in the non-fiction genre. This book is an autobiographical account about what transpired in the authors’ lives during the World War II. This novel majorly focuses on Alexis’ story, with his wife, Norma’s, memoirs interspersed throughout the book.

Alexis is eleven years old when the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor, and the USA officially enters the war. The Japanese quickly follow-up this bombing with attacks on almost all Southeast Asian countries, including Philippines. Alexis and his family were living in a rubber plantation in the island of Basilan, when the war reached their shores. Alexis’ story starts at this point and narrates how he and his family survive the next four years of Japanese occupation, how they are liberated by American forces, and how Philippines eventually becomes an independent nation.

The author’s writing style is something I have rarely come across. The first feature that impressed me was the interesting timeline/contents page of the book. The author combines the political event with an experience from his life; such as, a section is titled as 'Manila declared an open city. This was the last radio broadcast we received since our battery ran out and there was no way of charging them.' I thought this was illustrative of how human memories are recorded; we often remember and connect important public events with what we were doing at that particular point of time.

There are other aspects as well, which make the narration interesting. The author supplements his recollections liberally with pictures, which add to the vivid nature of his account. The author also provides plenty of information, for example about combat operations, through videos and other websites, whose links have been attached in the main body of the book itself. The author covers a variety of episodes from his life, and often there are flashbacks within a flashback, contrasting the happier times with the misery prevailing during war.

In addition to the story of the harrowing experience of war and Japanese occupation, there is something extra in this record, which holds the attention of the reader. What makes the author’s storytelling fascinating are the practical realities of war described in the book. For instance, how people had to rely on herbal medicine as no proper medication was available, or how the author found it strange that trucks that were part of his father’s business were now loaded with weapons and enemy soldiers, or how the author and his relatives had to eat sautéed locusts once, the very same locusts which destroyed their cornfields earlier.

This personalized, frank chronicle relays the joys, sorrows, and hope of the Filipino people during such trying times. One particular incident where the author and his friends take a huge risk, to steal the torn fragments of the American flag right under the nose of the Japanese army, is symbolic of the aspiration for freedom. My only disappointment was the grammatical errors, which could have been easily avoided with proper editing. Readers, who are interested in reading a piece of Philippines’ history in the voice of a common person, would definitely like this one. I rate this one 3 out of 4 stars.

Somewhere the Sun is Shining
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ananya92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I like that this is a memoir based on someone's memory of war. It's fascinating to read about wars and the effect that they have on people's lives. The narration in this book sounds very intriguing and will leave many readers enthralled.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Testing
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that the author connects the events going on in the world with what he was experiencing at the time. Sounds like a great way to write the book. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Maryjane
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maryjane »

The storyline is something I've never read or heard of before. It touches the soul and captivates the heart. I love the way the author carries the readers along. It's a fantastic book.
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

"Somewhere the Sun is Shining: Look for the Silver Lining." I like the title - even in war, the author sees a silver lining. Yes, in every situation, there could be a silver lining - if only we could look for the positives. I like the review, as well. Thanks.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Thank you all! :)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting account of the Japanese occupation of the Philippines, and as a Filipina myself, I think I will like it even more. Good job on the review.
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Thank you :)
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I love reading about history like this. Sad that the grammatical errors caused this a star off your review. Great review though.
ananya92
Currently Reading:

Post by ananya92 »

Thanks!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I thank the authors for giving us their real life story. Sounds like a nice read. Will put it in my bookshelf. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”