Official Review: Trucking While Black by Brian E Scott

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Official Review: Trucking While Black by Brian E Scott

Post by Guppy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Trucking While Black" by Brian E Scott.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Trucking While Black, by Brian E. Scott, is an autobiographical account of a boy who dreamt of being a truck driver, and had those dreams dashed when he experienced the reality of truck driving: unsafe conditions, disrespect from his bosses, and racism. He sets out to “shine a light on the cockroaches of the trucking world” and by sharing his experiences, hopes to improve driver safety.

Born after the glory days when truckers were heroes of the road, the author lands his first job as a “Billy Big rigger”, also known as a long haul truck driver. The driver training is dangerously inadequate and everyone passes, no matter how many accidents they have had. He describes the 70 hour plus weeks, the poorly maintained trucks, and the personality clashes between himself and his co-drivers. The citizen’s band (CB) radio with its steady stream of racist and sexist filth is a constant sound track to the author’s life and the degrading treatment he suffers from those around him adds to his disappointment and frustration.

He changes trucking companies frequently, searching for the seemingly unreachable paradise of safe and fair driving conditions. Does it exist? Can he find it? Maybe… if he doesn’t run out of fuel or get his truck wedged in a parking lot.

Trucking While Black was an enjoyable read full of hard truths and hilarious stories about life as a “Billy Big rigger”. As a truck driver I liked the descriptions of driving techniques such as double-clutching, and as a reader I found the stories so captivating I didn’t want to put the book down. I felt the author’s fear when he described a difficult, foggy mountain descent and wanted to cheer for him when he did have wins. There wasn’t anything that I didn’t like, though I too am a little disappointed that the trucking industry as presented by the author doesn’t live up to my dreams either.

I recommend the book to anyone with an interest in trucks and autobiographies. Readers will learn a lot about the trucking industry and how to safely share the road with trucks.

The book could have used a professional edit as there were several spelling and grammar errors like “form” instead of “from”. The table of contents was empty and the chapters were long. Really loooooong. They would be better sorted into a part or section for each trucking company the author worked with, and incident based chapters within these. These errors and the need for a better chapter structure reduced my rating by one star.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Trucking While Black
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Guppy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I had never imagined a book on truck driving. This is a very unique topic and sounds interesting to read hoping the errors will not deter me. Nice honest review.
Diah
Currently Reading: One Night for Love
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reading Device: B01M0JCU9B

Post by Diah »

Does the safe and fair driving conditions exist? Maybe not in today's world. Maybe yes a while back when there was only a few cars on the road. You describe the stories captivating. The author can explain what the driver feeling when faced with difficulties in driving big truck in a difficult conditions. Great review :!: :!:
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

looks like an interesting novel to read ?
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Pearl in the Sand
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a life full of hardships. I'm glad you enjoyed this book in spite of the errors. Thanks for sharing your review with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”