Official Review: Back to Life by Clodagh Whelan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Back to Life by Clodagh Whelan

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Back to Life" by Clodagh Whelan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Four years after the loss of her father to stress-induced cancer, author Clodagh Whelan began writing him a series of letters, which were later compiled into her book Back to Life. The letters begin with sweet memories and musings about her father, someone she describes as a man of “agile mind” and “sensitive heart.” It is clear throughout the entire book that the author’s father played a significant role in shaping the author’s personality, and the love and respect she feels for him is an undercurrent to each of the letters.

The letters take us along with the author’s journey as she processes her grief over her father’s death, during which she reaches the conclusion that his illness was a result of job-related stress. This causes her to re-examine her own source of income, leading to a desire for change. She begins attending self-help seminars, exploring new books, and setting goals to reduce the impact of stress in her own life. The letters to her father begin to serve as a sort of journal in which she details the progress she has made, holding herself accountable in changing negative thinking into positive affirmations. As she learns to let go of worry, she grows more comfortable in setting bigger goals, which eventually begin to include travel and vacation plans. Through the process of travel, the author continues to grow and step outside of her comfort zone, returning to the familiar ritual of writing to her father to keep him (and us) updated on her newly re-prioritized lifestyle.

Several elements of this work make for quite interesting reading. Primarily, the fact that this is a nonfiction compilation of actual letters lends credence to the lessons we can learn by watching Clodagh embrace positivity and rebalance her life. The letters serve as a journal through her journey of self-care, showing us that taking active steps to reorient oneself really does achieve tremendous results. Because she tracks her moments of discomfort as well as success, we are reminded that life does not always flow smoothly, but also that despite obstacles, learning to trust and follow one’s intuition is still worthwhile. We are able to witness first-hand the power of saying “I can,” as well as the impact that supportive friends and family can have on our ability to achieve our goals.

The conversational tone and the steady and even pacing make for an easy and uplifting reading experience. The reader gets a unique glimpse into the sweet-natured relationship between the author and her father from the inside, as some of the letters truly do read like a casual conversation between close family. The only sort-of negative aspect of the format of this book is that we are not always given a thorough background story on the other characters that are introduced. There are times that the author mentions family members and friends by name, but does not delve deeper into her relationship with them or many other details about them – presumably because in writing to her father, she expects that he already knows the personalities of the folks being mentioned. Similarly, though the letters do tell a story, they do not follow a typical plot structure that a fictional novel would have, so the ending does not carry the same climactic impact that some books have. Nonetheless, it ties up loose ends nicely and ends the story in a good place.

I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars and believe it can be enjoyed by many different readers – folks who enjoy travel memoirs, stories about families and relationships, accounts of self-discovery and self-improvement, or simply are looking for a motivational and uplifting story of a woman who decides to make life her own.

Back to Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Testing
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a fairly unusual format for a book, but I like it. The letters are intriguing to me. I understand why you would say they don't follow a typical plot structure, though. Still, sounds fairly easy to understand. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

"The letters serve as a journal through her journey of self-care, showing us that taking active steps to reorient oneself......"
I especially like this part of the review since it serves as a wake-up call to all of the need for a re-direction in life if one's not satisfied. It is creative and interesting the way the author brings his father back to life by writing letters to him after his death. It shows the love they shared, and how difficult it is for her to let her father out of her life. Thanks for a good review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I like the unique premise/format of this book. I can see how the style lends itself to a lack of necessary backstory though. Interesting review!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

This sounds like it would make a nice read for me. I think the author should have mentioned who the family members she was talking about were, for the benefit of the reader. Nice review.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I lost my uncle this weekend. I've never grieved over anyone's death and its all new to me. Perhaps this is the book I need right now. Thanks for the great review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Cynthia 1997
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cynthia 1997 »

Its different and very unique. I think it will be helpful to also those people that have undergone the same tragedy but lack word to express themselves
Maase

Post by Maase »

I think the plot is not coming out clearly to the reader....it strains for one to know the exact flow of the tell. It is a nice novel to read.
Dominique Cosquei

Post by Dominique Cosquei »

It really consoles, especially for those who lost there loved ones, again the setup is a bit complicated but its adorable, I love it

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”