Official Review: Never Be Discourage: With God All Things...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Genna H
Currently Reading: A Tale of Two Cities
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genna-h.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Never Be Discourage: With God All Things...

Post by Genna H »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Never Be Discourage: With God All Things Are Possible" by Alice Crespo.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Alice Crespo’s autobiographical book, Never Be Discouraged: With God All Things Are Possible, we are taken on a journey from the time of Alice’s birth as a blind girl in an era where disabilities were not seen as differences, but as a curse, to the signing of the ADA and her own founding of an outreach for the disabled.

It was a good read and highlighted some important points, such as the mistaken belief held by some of Alice’s family members that lack of healing equates to lack of faith; the discrimination in the education system, assuming that children with disabilities don’t need to know how to do anything as they will always be eligible for welfare; the judgmental expressions of others when they are inconvenienced by having to accommodate a disabled individual; and the difficulty of life as a disabled person without the financial support to get the help you really need. The author went through it all in this book.

That being said, I felt that the book read, at times, like the “Acknowledgments” section that is sometimes found at the end of a novel. There were a lot of people named and events somewhat described, but it didn’t seem overly connected to the novel, which seemed to lack a concrete message. A lot was discussed, but it seemed disconnected, rambling, and repetitive. There are also a lot of clichés, but the author states that her mother seemed to never run out of sayings, so perhaps it’s hereditary.

There were quite a few grammar issues within the book as well, such as missing words, doubling up on words, or double phrasing in the same sentence. It frequently read as though a child had written it, in that it didn’t contain many complexities of language; however, we know that this book was written by an adult because of the events detailed therein. That is not to say that some of the issues weren’t complex, but they were explained and resolved in a less-than-satisfactory manner for my tastes.

This book would be a good read for a disabled person or for someone who is close to an individual with a disability. It had some good information and a list of resources for disabled individuals to utilize at the very end of the book; however, it was not overly pertinent to my life and was not entertaining enough that I would pick it up for leisure reading. As such, I give Never Be Discouraged a rating of 2 out of 4 stars.

The biblical expression, “All things are possible with God” comes up a few times in the book, and while the author gives the credit to God, I read the story of a strong, determined woman who overcame many obstacles to become a contributor to society and a strong supporter of equal rights for people with disablities.

Never Be Discourage: With God All Things Are Possible
View: on Bookshelves

Like Genna H's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jason F Boggs
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jason F Boggs »

Even if you're not a believer, those that hold a conviction in God often tell inspiring stories, usually about overcoming adversity. It's when they attribute their success to God that I sometimes cringe because my opinion is that divine intervention is seldom direct. As the old saying goes "the lord works in mysterious ways". My childhood local priest used to say "lard" because of his Irish accent and I would stifle a giggle because he was fat, but I digress.
Good review, although people who do fit into this niche may appreciate it more.
Also as you are currently reading "A Tale of Two Cities" then that's a tough act to follow.
Genna H

Post by Genna H »

It is DEFINITELY a tough act to follow! I do hope that those with special needs will enjoy the book and be encouraged and inspired by it.
Thanks. ☺
Mariita

Post by Mariita »

I will like my fellow readers to read the book it never bore.Its very encouraging ,it well people so and society so much..
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. This seems like a potentially great memoir if it is tweaked somewhat.
Mishka2015

Post by Mishka2015 »

With god nothing is impossible.... I my self witness how a person feel with PWD ..I encourage them you can do it think positive and determination as well...
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

The author's sense of social responsibility is highly commendable. She does not allow her disability to incapacitate her as she contributes so much to help others. She really demonstrates that "with God all things are possible" through her own life and her works. Kudos for the review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Genna H

Post by Genna H »

@chrys brobbey - she is certainly to be commended. I'm not sure I would be able to accomplish HALF of all that she's done.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Pearl in the Sand
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like there is a great message in there somewhere, but it seems like it is buried. It is sad that people with disabilities of all types are still discriminated against. I'm glad that there are people like this out there fighting for them. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

"Perhaps its hereditary", what a punch :D Thank you for this very honest review, I enjoyed reading it.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1457
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

It's sad to me when a book meant to do good, has too many issues with grammar or formatting to male the difference that the author originally intended. Hopefully, after reading your review, changes can be made and the author will be able to give it another go! :-) Thank you for your insightful review. :-)
Jane Mugure
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jane Mugure »

I like the Title of this book; the autobiography is very good and would be appreciated just the way it is by as many in our African continent who live in poverty and disease but can learn how to over come such challenges from this author. I admire the courage to share the gospel truth because it is only God who make all things possible. I cant wait to find it in our bookshelves in East Africa.
Keli51

Post by Keli51 »

A great book which addresses ways through which the seemingly disadvantaged can overcome their challenges. The book however is marred by some grammatical errors.
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

in view of what the review indicates, this would make to the list of book I read for leisure. I think it is one of those books that comes packed with the right amount of dosage for hope to inspire a reader who has their hope depleted

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”