Official Review: From Partying to Praying

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Official Review: From Partying to Praying

Post by bruin »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Partying to Praying" by Rose Shackelford.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From Partying to Praying by Rose Shackelford is an inspiring first person narrative from a former alcoholic who discovers her purpose in life when she starts believing in God. She candidly shares her unsatisfying dependence to one night stands, abusive relationships, heavy partying, and her breakthrough journey to a fulfilling life. This book is far from a patronizing lecture about religion; it reads as an insightful conversation with a friend who wants you to learn from her mistakes.

Getting drunk at twelve years old, Rose was hooked to the way that alcohol made her feel. She grew up with an alcoholic father, and it was normal for her to be around drunk adults. By fifteen, she became his drinking buddy. Her constant partying lead to a life of casual sex and drugs. When she got stuck in a very abusive relationship, she decided that it was time to change her life.

Rose impulsively joins the Air Force in an effort to escape her destructive lifestyle, but always found familiarity with people who she could party with. Anywhere in the world that the military sent her to, she would quickly attain an active social life, but she always felt empty and alone. There was something missing in her life and should could not figure out how to fill that void; numbing the pain was easier to do with alcohol and sex.

She thought getting married and starting a family would fill her void, but her reckless behavior continued. The love from her husband and her own child was still not satisfying enough. It was not until she finds out that her husband cheated on her, that she was committed to reevaluate her life. She turns to the church, and her life begins to improve. She shares the bad and the good experiences she had with the church.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Rose’s storytelling is engaging. I could not relate to everything that she experienced, but I could reflect on some aspects of her stories in my life. At the end of each chapter, there is a convenient note taking section to keep track of your thoughts along the way. She does not preach about the right way to live by God; instead, she encourages you to listen to how God is leading you in your own life. I give this book a 3 out of 4 stars because there were a couple of grammatical errors. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading inspirational autobiographies. I also recommend this as a self-help book for people who are struggling with their marriage, friendships, and the role that God has in their lives.

From Partying to Praying
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bruin's review? Post a comment saying so!
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

I love autobiographies. Thanks for this review. I typically steer clear of books focused on religion but might actually consider this one since it sounds gentle :wink:
Great job on the review!
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
bruin

Post by bruin »

Elaine5 wrote:I love autobiographies. Thanks for this review. I typically steer clear of books focused on religion but might actually consider this one since it sounds gentle :wink:
Great job on the review!
Thank you!
Yes, I feel the same way about most religious books, but I felt like this one was different. It was like reading a letter from a close friend sharing how she is getting through struggles in her life. She never makes you feel like her way of living with God is the right way, and just hopes that you could learn from her experience. I didn't agree with some of her thoughts on adultery, but I could apply her advice to other areas in my life.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an inspiring book. I have read a lot of religious books and this one seems like something I would enjoy. Good job on the review.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Sounds like an inspiring read that could have a positive influence! Thank you for sharing!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
bruin

Post by bruin »

klbradley wrote:Sounds like an inspiring read that could have a positive influence! Thank you for sharing!
Thank you! I thought it was helpful that each chapter ended with points to think about, and encouraged me to write down how I could make positive changes in my life.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

Sounds like a book I would read thanks for sharing
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Wow, such a great review! The book cover is pretty cool and the story seems interesting. Thanks.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

The review is nice. The story of the book is well described. Moreover, you have given your true views about the book, which is very important.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”