Official Review: The Smartest Person in the Room

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaco Du Plooy
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaco-du-plooy.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Re: Official Review: The Smartest Person in the Room

Post by Jaco Du Plooy »

Thank you for the great review There is a few words that discourage me to read this self-help book. "Repeating", "seven steps" and "in detail" are terms that tell me that I will be frustrated reading this. I will pass on that.
Juergeon Guenter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Juergeon Guenter »

Yeah this book is really talking of what we face in our world 🌎 of ict today
Daniel Hadid

Post by Daniel Hadid »

The book seems alright just the review is attracting, it is for young adults tho based on your life choices but there are still lesson that goes for everyone in life.
It's a great book
Miles Morales 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Miles Morales 1 »

The Smartest Person in the Room by Christian Espinosa. The book is very interesting and inspiring. It gives a great insight of cybersecurity problems and what may be the causes of cybersecurity problems. The author explained that most of the cybersecurity problems that companies and organization faces comes from their employees lack of people skills. I agree with the author believes after years of working within the IT department, technical staffs are stuck in their own ways, they are stuck with the knowledge they gain during their study. Also the author did state that it's the poor training of some companies and organization that is also causing cybersecurity problems. As the emphasized cybersecurity problems change daily, so, technical staffs need a proper training despite their knowledge degree.

The Smartest Person in the Room by Christian Espinosa was designed for people in the technology and cybersecurity industry. But, I would recommend this book to any person who have this desire of always need to know it all. The author emphasized that we don't have to always know it all.
Shanzay_sethi
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room

Post by Shanzay_sethi »

The smartest person in the room

"The Smartest Person in the Room" by Christian Finnegan and Kambri Crews is a captivating and thought-provoking book that delves into the concept of intelligence and how it is perceived in society.

Finnegan and Crews present a fascinating exploration of what it means to be smart and how our society values intelligence. The book is filled with insightful anecdotes, personal experiences, and research-based evidence, which make it both entertaining and informative.

What I particularly appreciated about this book is how the authors challenge the notion that being intelligent is synonymous with being successful. They show how intelligence can manifest in different ways, and how success is not always dependent on intelligence alone.

Furthermore, the authors also highlight the importance of emotional intelligence, creativity, and social skills in achieving success. They also shed light on the negative consequences of our society's obsession with intelligence, such as the stigmatization of those who are deemed less intelligent.

Overall, "The Smartest Person in the Room" is a well-written and insightful book that challenges our preconceived notions of intelligence and success. I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in understanding the complex relationship between intelligence and society.
Triciat50
Favorite Book: The Luminaries
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triciat50.html
Latest Review: The Miracle of Ramadan by Wassim Hijazi

Post by Triciat50 »

My place of work requires us to take cyber-security training annually, but it is usually cut and dried. I agree with your assessment of the book--it should start with people skills. I'm going to recommend this to my office. Thank you!
Yvonnie Lim

Post by Yvonnie Lim »

The idea of the author was brilliant,work needs compassion ,without it the skills would not function well.
I will give 4/4 because ,what the author says was truth.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: Deadly Sexy Lizzy
Bookshelf Size: 1664
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition) by Dr. Colleen Huber
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 90%

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

The harsh tone of the author's writing is a conflict with what he his trying to convey. I honestly think he needs to heed his own advice. I will be passing on this BOTM/BOTD.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Ablie Sillah
Currently Reading:

Post by Ablie Sillah »

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity is a book that aims to provide insights on the root cause of cybersecurity threats and offer a new solution to address these issues. The author argues that the traditional approach to cybersecurity, which relies on hiring the smartest person in the room, is not effective in preventing cyber attacks.

The book delves into the reasons why the smartest person in the room approach fails. It argues that cybersecurity threats are constantly evolving, and it is impossible for one person to keep up with all the latest threats and developments. Additionally, the author notes that relying solely on technical solutions is not enough, as cyber threats often come from human error or malicious insiders.

The proposed solution in the book is to shift the focus from hiring the smartest person in the room to building a team of diverse experts who can work together to address cybersecurity threats. The author suggests that a team that includes individuals with different backgrounds and skill sets can better identify and address vulnerabilities. The book also emphasizes the need for ongoing training and education to keep up with the changing threat landscape.

Overall, the book provides some valuable insights on the limitations of the traditional approach to cybersecurity and the need for a more collaborative and diverse approach. However, there are a few errors in the book that need to be addressed.

Firstly, the book oversimplifies the role of the smartest person in the room, suggesting that this approach is solely focused on technical expertise. In reality, the smartest person in the room can also refer to someone who has strong leadership skills, communication abilities, and the ability to manage complex projects.

Secondly, the book does not provide a clear framework for building a diverse team of cybersecurity experts. While diversity is important, it is not enough on its own. The book could have provided more guidance on how to identify and recruit the right individuals for a cybersecurity team.

In conclusion,The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity offers some valuable insights on the need for a more collaborative and diverse approach to cybersecurity. However, it oversimplifies some aspects of the traditional approach and could have provided more guidance on building a diverse cybersecurity team.
Michael Stephen 5

Post by Michael Stephen 5 »

The Smartest Person in the Room by Christian Espinosa. The book is interesting ,educative and tells us about cyber insecurity . It gives a great insight of cyber security problems and what may be the causes of cyber insecurity and problems. The author analysis most of the cyber security problems that companies and organization faces.
Comes from Lack of employees skills. I agree with the author because basically out 100 percent we do have 50percent don't research they still perform on what they study in college, no effort at all to improve . Also the author did state that it's the poor training of some companies and organization that is also causing cyber security problems. As the emphasized cyber security problems change daily, so, technical staffs need a proper training despite their knowledge degree.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Pain and Prejudice: How the Medical System Ignores Women—And What We Can Do About It
Bookshelf Size: 2410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: The Perfect Life by Anne Callahan
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The author was crisp; his writing style was direct and conversational; I hardly found any errors, and the editing was almost perfect. While I learned a lot, the tone that the writer took shook me. It felt harsh and too direct, which was ironic because this book is about emotional intelligence. Also, the author took a lot of jabs at a former employee named Doug. He used Doug as an example of almost everything not to do. This seemed unnecessary and extreme at times. For smooth writing, life-changing insights, and detailed information, I award this book 3 out of 4. I removed a star because half of the book sounded repetitive, and the writer’s tone was too direct.
That's really odd...But maybe he was trying to be funny? Especially with the Doug references. Sometimes humor can be such a subjective thing.
We can all benefit from improving our social skills, and the world can definitely use more empathic people.
Good review!
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

A BOOK BY CHRISTIAN ESPINOSA FOR PEOPLE IN TECHNOLOGY, CYBER SECURITY AND EMPLOYERS IN THE INDUSTRY AND TALKS ABOUT THE SECURE METHODOLOGY TO FIGHT CYBER INSECURITY.GOOD REVIEW
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I appreciate the importance of people skills, but the author’s direct tone is a bit concerning. Your review was honest, thorough, and informative. Also, I admired how you highlighted the reality of the continued education cyber officers must complete due to the constant technological changes.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Cannoli Caper
Bookshelf Size: 616
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: By The Rivers of Babylon by Mary Glickman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

Back in the day before I retired from the workforce, I probably would have found this book to my liking. But these days, I'm not in the right demographic to read this. Nevertheless, congrats to the author on his accomplishment.
Sheen Jenny
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Sheen Jenny »

Great review. I love the fact that you are able to point out exactly what you liked about the book and your dislikes ,especially when you mentioned the direct nature of the book which is contrary to the message the book was supposed to pass. I understand what you mean and can relate to it. If the book is about emotional intelligence, it should be conveyed in a lighter toner, so as to make the reader feel connected and learn.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”