Official Review: Say My Name by Vickey Robinson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Once Upon A Time In Afghanistan
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Re: Official Review: Say My Name by Vickey Robinson

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

Honest and detailed review! The book is a subjective view of black people' s history and present lives, things I know nothing about , so it is a must- read.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: If... and other stories by Claire Frieze

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

This sounds like a thought provoking book. The theme isn't upon my alley though. Still, thanks for the review.
Rica Concepcion
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Rica Concepcion »

I appreciate the author addressing issues like this. However, I'm not into this kind of topic. I recommend this to those who like reading a genre like this. Thanks for the review.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Stolen by Neil Edwin Fountaine
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Damian Keyes »

All too often, Black citizens of America have been discriminated against harshly on all levels of society which makes it hard for true change and progress to occur. This book is necessary for not only African Americans who are not in the know but also those who are open to learning about the struggles that we face. I applaud the author for writing such an important piece of work that details the hardships we have gone through and continue to occur because it brings awareness.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

In the United States there is and has been a very significant racial conflict. Vickey Robinson admirably dares to express her point of view on that subject. Say My Name: Thoughts Of One Black Woman seems to be a good book on a relevant topic both in the USA and in the world. Thanks for the review.
Desiree Duncan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desiree-duncan.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Desiree Duncan »

I really enjoyed reading this review and the sample of the book. I am always trying to learn more and understand what people of color are truly up against. This does sound like the type of book that would be great for everyone to read, as it seems to really lay out just how far behind Black Americans are when it comes to systemic issues and why that is. I am also interested to hear how the author feels about the events of the last few years regarding Obama and Trump's presidencies, as well as Covid19, and how those events affected the lives of Black Americans.
Vincent Mutopa
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Vincent Mutopa »

Sounds like it would be an intriguing read, especially in a time when racial tension is at its peak. I like how she coined the sub title "thoughts of one black woman". Smart, considering how sensitive and probably triggering the topic may be.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 701
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 71%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“Say My Name” by Vickey Robinson is a story about how the author sees Black Lives in America. Vickey started at the time President Lincoln freed the slaves up to current times. She covers the impact of Martin Luther King and President Obama and then reviews the Trump years and the impact of COVID-19. Discrimination should have ended in the 1860s but it continues because of white supremacists and the allocation of resources to blacks vs. whites. Americans are all supposed to be equal and expect the same rights and treatment by others. This is a well written book that should be read by all members. I really thought Obama’s eight years in the White House would have made a much bigger difference but I feel it made the white supremacists hate minorities even more. This has got to change and an autocrat or dictator in the White House will make things even worse.
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: The Elfkin Journals by JDeVereS

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

Your heartfelt review of "Say My Name: Thoughts Of One Black Woman" by Vickey Robinson truly touched my soul. Your words beautifully convey the deep impact this book had on you. It's evident that you connected with the author's passion and her plea for equality. Your personal recommendation for younger readers to engage with this book as a means of shaping a brighter future adds a heartfelt touch to your review. Thank you for sharing your personal insights and encouraging others to explore this essential work. Bravo!
Taiwo_Olawoye
Currently Reading: OldEarth Aram Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1femi1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taiwo_Olawoye »

I think this is a great and timely book. Black Americans have gone through a lot, as we see from the book's historical perspective. Their situation has dramatically improved from the era of slavery up until now. However, there are many areas where improvement is desired and can be achieved. Thanks for the review.
Sharon Dowdell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-dowdell.html
Latest Review: Party Wine by D.R. Ransdell

Post by Sharon Dowdell »

An excellent narrative on the history of Black America as seen from the viewpoint of a Black woman. She feels that racism is still alive and well in this country but disguised within the system. I think that everyone should read this book, it will give thought to why there are so many inequities between the races. As a Black woman who grew up during the sixties, I can easily relate to her views on certain points. Vicky's style of writing is very effective. This is definitely a book to add to my library. I loved your review! :techie-studyinggray:
Ivette Garcia 2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ivette Garcia 2 »

:D An Exceptional Book
Thoroughly researched. I read this book in one sitting because I could not stop once I started.
Does discrimination still exists?
This book is one Black woman's views on black lives. Are resources distributed fairly? Does discrimination still exist in our society? Before answering read this book. It is a real eye-opener.
Suvankar Das 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suvankar-das-1.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by Suvankar Das 1 »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on "Say My Name: Thoughts Of One Black Woman." It seems to provide a valuable perspective on Black American history and contemporary issues. The inclusion of pictures and poetry sounds like it adds depth to the narrative. I would be interested in reading this book to gain a better understanding of the topics it covers.
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Discrimination has sadly been a long-standing fight. I appreciate the author for being vocal and for addressing issues many would fear to bring up. I hope this book finds the right audience. Congrats on the BOTD!
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Boye Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boye-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Dreamland by Rasa Ponce

Post by Boye Emmanuel »

This book extensively covers all areas of concerns by the Black Americans. This is a great read for all in the position of power to do the needful and effect change where necessary. Congratulations on the BOTD.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”