Review of Rescue Me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ram Uday Mahajan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: The Elfkin Journals by JDeVereS

Re: Review of Rescue Me

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

LinaMueller, your review of "Rescue Me" by Katherine Starr is both insightful and inspiring. Your appreciation of the author's journey and her impactful work with Safe4Athletes is truly commendable. Your review beautifully captures the essence of the book and its message of resilience. Well done!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Annabelle's story is truly inspirational. Not only she overcame her traumatic experiences but she also created a platform for other athletes experiencing sexual abuse. Thanks for the awesome review!
Seamstress
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85

Post by Seamstress »

Definitely not my cup of tea, because just reading the description provided in the review made me feel awful, and I certainly don't need a more detailed account of this horrible experience. The abusers using kids entrusted to their care make me think that the death penalty isn't such a bad idea after all.
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This is a helpful review that highlights the key aspects of the book. It provides sufficient information to understand the story and its impact. The review is likely to motivate readers to purchase the book, especially those interested in inspiring stories of overcoming adversity. From the reviewer's perspective, the book appears to be a valuable addition to anyone's library.
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading: Secrets of the Kashmir Valley
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

The author takes the road less taken in the athletic world, I believe comparing her with the injured Ronaldo doesn't cover the base of her pain, it seems like these are two different pains and processed differently. I like that the author turned his pain into something that helps others like herself navigate such pain. I would read the book as this is a great review overall. Congratulations to the author.
That I may know Him :arrow: Philippians 3:10
MMcB
Favorite Book: Island of Missing Trees
Currently Reading: The Elephant(s) in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmcb.html
Latest Review: Ungraduated by Ken Hannaman
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by MMcB »

From the interesting review of "Rescue Me" by Katherine Starr it sounds like this could be an autobiography rather than a biography. The story is about an Olympic athlete and not just the athletic challenges she faced but also the trauma of continuous sexual abuse. How this lady overcame so many obstacles is just a part of the story. The book tells of an organization that she founded that helps athletes in similar situations so they do not have to suffer in silence or self-harm to make the pain lessen. Congratulations on an important and informative book.
If you're going through hell, keep going.
~ Sir Winston Churchill
Nuru Menene
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominic-emezuru.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nuru Menene »

Only when the author was able to see a different story from what she was telling herself did she understand the path that she created - one where she didn't need to win medals, perform in events, or have anyone cheer her on, but could simply just be, an incredible realization that speaks to the power of shifting one's perspective and letting go of self-imposed limitations to embrace the liberating freedom of genuine self-acceptance.
Djima
Currently Reading: A Home from Home
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Djima »

The book of Katherine Star is a very serious issue really going on around in this world especially when you are young and talented you easily influenced and controlled since you are young and don’t take most decisions by yourself. It’s sad to hear when a young girl gets raped that can easily change her whole life upside down and even give up on her dreams but am glad and happy she was able to stand tall and didn’t give up. What I can say is sometimes we pass through challenges and hard times to make us even stronger. One thing I learnt is we should never give up as long as we are alive and it dead.
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 620%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thank you for your review. It is a fascinating story. Everything seems perfect, except it is not.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Anshu Sharma_
Currently Reading: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
Bookshelf Size: 16
2024 Reading Goal: 250
2024 Goal Completion: 3%

Post by Anshu Sharma_ »

It's truly uplifting to learn about the profound connection you made with Annabelle Cripps' story and how it inspired you through her journey of triumphing over challenges. Your insight into the significance of addressing the psychological aspects of trauma and coping strategies early on is greatly appreciated and will serve as valuable input for the author. We are delighted to hear that, despite a few minor grammatical errors, the book had such a powerful and positive effect on you.
Steve R 1 Nimmo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steve-r-1-nimmo.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by Steve R 1 Nimmo »

It's really unfortunate that the protagonist had her promising swimming career cut short because of the abuse she underwent at the hands of her coach. I agree with you that her life story would serve to inspire not just athletes who were victimized but anyone who has undergone trauma of any kind.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 586
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

The story of a woman athlete in swimming who trained hard to be olympian but didn't realize this dream because of the sexual abuse by the trainer. I would like to read more about overcoming adversity.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Sheen Jenny »

Through 'Rescue Me,' Katherine Starr invites readers to confront uncomfortable truths about abuse and trauma within the sporting world. Her courage in sharing her story encourages empathy, understanding, and ultimately, positive change
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Anu Anand »

Rescue Me by Katherine Starr beautifully illustrates the theme of overcoming adversity, inspiring readers with its powerful message of resilience. A compelling read that celebrates triumph in the face of challenges. Congrats on BOTD!
Abhishek Kumar Gupta
Currently Reading: Beyond the Golden Door
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhishek-kumar-gupta.html
Latest Review: Outfection by craig stucko
2024 Reading Goal: 365
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by Abhishek Kumar Gupta »

Thank you for your thoughtful review of "Rescue Me" by Katherine Starr. Your analysis of the book's strengths and weaknesses provides valuable insights for potential readers. It's admirable how you highlighted the importance of the author's journey in overcoming adversity and the impact she has had in helping other athletes through Safe4Athletes. Your feedback on the timeline of the psychological analysis and the minor grammatical errors is constructive and could indeed help improve the overall reading experience. Your review effectively captures the essence of the book and raises important points for consideration.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”