Review of Swallows Also Fall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Naushin Moledina
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Canterville Ghost
Currently Reading: Boundaries
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naushin-moledina.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Re: Review of Swallows Also Fall

Post by Naushin Moledina »

"Swallows Also Fall" by CR Armeny delves into the life of Marcelino Massana, who, after losing his parents during the Spanish Flu, was raised in a strict church environment. Influenced by his oppressive surroundings, he later opposed Franco’s regime by forming a group of "Maquis." Despite limited historical information, the author skillfully fills in the gaps, offering a compelling account of Massana's exploits and impact on the Spanish Civil War. This historically grounded book earns a 5-star rating and is highly recommended for history enthusiasts. Thank you for a great review.
To hate is an easy lazy thing, but to love takes strength everyone has, but not all are willing to practice
Eugine Ingalwa
Currently Reading: The Three Card Trick
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eugine-ingalwa.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Eugine Ingalwa »

This review has given me three reasons to read this book. First, narratives based on civil wars and history never fail to intrigue me. Second, the mention of the book's mixed perspectives has piqued my interest. Lastly, I would like to know how the author's relation to Marcel influence the content of the book. Great job!
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Dracula's Guest by Amaya Tenshi

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Although I didn't know who Marcelino Massana was, I am glad his relative took the time and effort to write about him and set the record straight. It is not uncommon for the legacy of many people who lived positively impactful lives to be misconstrued.
Dheera Kalota
Currently Reading: The Golden Manuscripts: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dheera-kalota.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dheera Kalota »

"Swallows Also Fall" by CR Armeny is a historical book based on the life of Spanish civil war revolutionary Marcel·lí Massana. I didn't know much about him before reading the sample. But the given sample really increased my interest on the topic. And that is because of the writing style of the author. I look forward to read the book. Great review. Thanks BOTD.
Ad astra per aspera
Sky Revews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sky-revews.html
Latest Review: Mithra by John M. Rattenbury

Post by Sky Revews »

Swallows Also Fall doesn't shy away from the harsh realities of war. Expect to be emotionally invested in the characters and their struggles. The story has the power to move you, sparking empathy and reflection on the human cost of conflict.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

Historical fiction that tells the story of the Spanish war and the Spanish flu seems interesting. I always enjoy historical fiction about history from different places, especially related to European history. Reading your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
grace ruhara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-ruhara.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa

Post by grace ruhara »

I wonder the churches hypocrisy, that Marceli is brought up by it and grows up to oppose for oppressing it's people.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Runan »

There are always two sides to a coin, and in this historical novel, we get to see Marcelino Massana’s other side. His upbringing in a strict church affected his overall personality. What exactly did he do in the Spanish Civil War? A brief narrative fills the gaps in history. That was a brilliant review!
Runan
Black Indigo
Currently Reading: Relieved
Bookshelf Size: 653
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Black Indigo »

I will give this book a chance despite the off-putting points mentioned. Thank you for the review.
Michael Gambo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-gambo.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Michael Gambo »

Reading about Marcelino Massana's resilience and defiance against oppressive forces in "Swallows Also Fall" is both inspiring and humbling. It's remarkable how individuals like him shape the course of history through their unwavering commitment to justice.
I believe in something greater than myself.
Krebs Karen
Currently Reading: The Fish House
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krebs-karen.html
Latest Review: A Toast to Travel by Fraser Beath McEwing

Post by Krebs Karen »

This is a book rooted in history about a man Marcelo and how the Spanish flu affected his family. It talked about his life experiences. I would love to read this book for more knowledge. Congrats on being book of the day,.
Chad Anthony
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chad-anthony.html
Latest Review: Alpha Max by Mark A. Rayner

Post by Chad Anthony »

Learning about the author's personal connection to Marceli adds depth and authenticity to the narrative. It's fascinating to see how familial ties can inspire such passionate storytelling, even when historical records are sparse.
Omobolanle Savage
Currently Reading: Words of Weedsdom
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

The review's revelation about Marceli's hidden history and his struggle against oppression in the Spanish Civil War era is intriguing! It makes me curious to explore his journey and understand his role in such tumultuous times.
Precious Anavheoba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Teacher by Robert Mitchell

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

I think this is an interesting book. The historical lining of the book makes it so great to ponder on. I l would like to see what becomes of Marceli. It must have been devastating to be orphaned at a young age.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Eye of The Beholder by J.M. Stenfors

Post by Janet Kimetto »

"Swallows Also Fall" by CR Armeny is a historical fiction book that tells more about Marcelino Massana and his connection to the Spanish Civil War. It is narrated from the point of view of his foster mother, his foster sister, and himself, and includes accounts about him from those who knew him personally and interacted with him. Congrats on BOTD!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”