Review of Rescue Me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Muhammad Haikal Birton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muhammad-haikal-birton.html
Latest Review: Anti-Black Prejudice In America by Anders Eklof

Re: Review of Rescue Me

Post by Muhammad Haikal Birton »

So, I read a sample of Katherine Starr's memoir called "Rescue Me" and I gotta say, it's pretty intriguing. The book's all about her journey as an Olympian where she deals with sports, family, and some of the darker aspects of dreams. As she breaks down these themes, we get to peek into a world that not many people have experienced but a lot of us are curious about.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 69%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“Rescue Me” by Katherine Starr is a biography of Annabelle Cripps. Annabelle (a.k.a. Katherine Starr) was born into a wealthy family in Great Britian and had all of the gifts needed to be an outstanding athlete from an early age. She had the best coaches and she excelled in swimming competitions as a child. Her plan to become an Olympic Gold Medalist did not happen because she was the victim of sexual abuse by a coach who believed his level of coaching gave him special privileges. She had to remain quiet because this man determined athletes for various competitions. This led Katherine to drink heavily to face her inner demons and she finished sixth in her Olympic swimming best event. Not a failure but she did not live up to her full potential. She overcame severe trauma and help many other athletes that had been exposed to sexual assault when she created Safe4Athletes in 2011. She gave athletes that had been victims of sexual abuse a voice to bring the abuse to authorities and the Olympic selection committee.
Abraham Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: Echoes of the Constellation by Sage Chevalier

Post by Abraham Ozo »

Rescue Me by Katherine Starr is a poignant biography revealing the resilience of athlete Annabelle Cripps, who transcends trauma to empower others through Safe4Athletes.
Novita Ronsumbre
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Novita Ronsumbre »

Sometimes trauma makes a person despair, many even almost commit suicide. But we have to learn from her, to have determination like her and to recover from that trauma, her is a winner.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3075
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Circle of Innocents by Stephen D. Curtis

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Though the author might not have reached her ultimate goal, the fact that she has helped numerous athletes speaks volumes about her resilience and kindness. It is through such mentorship that others are able to rise. It is saddening and heartbreaking to see a coach decide to use his power in a negative way, and I hope that he was eventually exposed and tried for this. I am adding the book to my shelf. Many thanks for the review!
:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Lorna Philip Enslin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading: Good Not Hate
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorna-philip-enslin.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley
Reading Device: 1Device
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Lorna Philip Enslin »

The story of overcoming adversity is the most fascinating and remarkable aspect of this book. Sports enthusiasts are always fascinated when they see an athlete bounce back and recover from an injury. I remember when soccer fans were amazed that Portuguese player, Ronaldo was the highlight of a World Cup when a severe knee injury threatened to ensure his exclusion, but managed to bounce back again.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Huini Hellen »

I commend Katherine for writing about her experiences as a victim of sexual abuse in the athletics sphere. This foregrounds the challenges that sportspersons face and makes a clarion call to address the vice. Thank you for your detailed review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Alissa Deann Devargas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-deann-devargas.html
Latest Review: Deceit by Vernon Baumrind

Post by Alissa Deann Devargas »

I've always wondered 'If I had everything I needed to push me towards my dreams when I was younger, would I be where I am today?' It's sad that Katherine's dreams were affected because of her fellow human who was supposed to push her forward. Did she rise above her challenges?
Victoria Zoe
Currently Reading: The Divine Memoir
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-zoe.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa

Post by Victoria Zoe »

Rescue Me by Katherine Start is a must-read for everyone who wants to learn the biography of Annabelle Cripps on her journey to stardom as an athlete. It must be an interesting read. Congrats on the BOTD and a well-written review.
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 140%

Post by Martina Sette »

This book is a powerful biography that sheds light on the life of athlete Annabelle Cripps, her struggles, and her inspiring journey of overcoming adversity.
Mayuri Kotalawala
Currently Reading: The Spiritual Treasure Trove
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayuri-kotalawala.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Mayuri Kotalawala »

The life message and the recovery process discussed in this book are fascinating and uplifting.
- An impressive and encouraging book. Thank you for the beautiful review.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Independence Corrupted by Charles Benjamin Schudson

Post by Harty Muli »

I am intrigued about this promising athlete who could have been an Olympic medalist, but she didn't make it. I would like to find out the reasons this didn't happen despite the coaches she had access to and her family's wealth. Thanks for the review.
Tejas Koli
Favorite Book: The Great Migration
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tejas-koli.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 136%

Post by Tejas Koli »

"Rescue Me" by Katherine Starr sounds like an incredibly inspiring read. It's a biography about Annabelle Cripps, an athlete who faced immense challenges but found the strength to overcome them. I'm intrigued by her journey of resilience and how she went on to create Safe4Athletes, advocating for those who have suffered abuse. Adding this to my reading list for its uplifting message and empowering story of triumph over adversity. 📚
Black Indigo
Currently Reading: Relieved
Bookshelf Size: 639
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Black Indigo »

The minor errors mentioned in the review don't affect the book. Katherine's story is encouraging, and I believe it will help people to face their inner demons. Thank you for the review.
Chad Anthony
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chad-anthony.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Chad Anthony »

The mention of Safe4Athletes adds a powerful dimension to the narrative, showcasing how Katherine's experience led to meaningful advocacy and support for others. That's a compelling reason to consider reading this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”