Review of All For the Love of Dogs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Thabiso Twala
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thabiso-twala.html
Latest Review: Living in Color by Mike Murphy
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Review of All For the Love of Dogs

Post by Thabiso Twala »

'For The Love Of Dog' written by Ilona Benzel is based on the author's experience as a dog trainer and rescuer. The book is very educational when it comes to taking care of dogs and knowing what to when approaching them, especially for the first time. Even though some methods, as stated by the author are not to be tried under normal circumstances. Like this one time she answered a call regarding an abandoned German Shepherd that was outside a Real Estate house. She approached as she normally would, and got down on her heels. She could this out of her experience with German Shepherds but it's something I would never recommend when approaching it for the first time.

But I feel like not too much effort was put into the writing of this book as the author was just basically sharing her feelings or rather, frustrations of how dogs are being mistreated. I get the point of the book but think there must've been a better or more creative way to put it. A way that will also grab the attention of someone who is not really interested in dogs, but the writing creative in such a manner that you can not sway away from.

All I wanted to do was finish the book as I had already started but I found nothing interesting about it. At first I thought the author was going to be more focused on 'Kai', her dog that found a dog that was shot in the woods, he also herded a grazing bull in a corral. I thought that was amazing and I thought that's where the focus was gonna be or on her other dogs, to hear more about how exactly she saved their lives and their way of living. But none of that.

So for me the book gets a 3 out of 5 when it comes to reviewing due to the lack of creative writing craft and also, since the writer is not an experienced dog trainer for more research at least. That way we also get to learn. But Congratulations on making BOTD.
Chad Anthony
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chad-anthony.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Chad Anthony »

The way the reviewer appreciates the author's storytelling, especially the inclusion of Kai and the occasional dog's perspective, shows how engaging the book must be. I'm intrigued by the personal touch and would certainly pick it up for a heartwarming read.
Steve R 1 Nimmo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steve-r-1-nimmo.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by Steve R 1 Nimmo »

This book is a must-read for all dog lovers. By highlighting the sorry plight of dogs around her, the author manages to convince readers that dogs are in dire need of our increased love and care. Kudos to the author!
Black Indigo
Currently Reading: Relieved
Bookshelf Size: 645
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Black Indigo »

The writing in the dog's voice is a nice touch to the book. Thank you for the review.
Omobolanle Savage
Currently Reading: Words of Weedsdom
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

The review beautifully captures the essence of the book, making me feel connected to Ilona's passion for dogs. Her ability to communicate with dogs adds a fascinating layer to the narrative. I'd definitely love to read this heartfelt account.
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review of "All For The Love of Dogs" by Ilona Benzel. Your enthusiasm for the book is palpable, and I can sense the genuine connection you felt with the author's stories and experiences.

It's wonderful to hear that the book resonated with your love for dogs and exceeded your expectations. The author's inclusion of individual dog names and their unique stories must have added a personal touch, making the narrative even more engaging. The occasional use of the dog's voice sounds like a delightful and creative choice, adding an amusing and cool element to the book.

Despite the minor errors you noticed, it's great to know that the book was professionally edited and they didn't detract from your overall enjoyment. Your commendation of the author's work as not being sloppy reinforces the quality of the storytelling and genuine experiences shared throughout the book.
Precious Anavheoba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Teacher by Robert Mitchell

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

This sounds like a spectacular book from a dog lover to other dog lovers, and by extension to animal lovers. I hear so much care and emotion from the title to every other thing I've read about the book. Kudos to the author.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Independence Corrupted by Charles Benjamin Schudson

Post by Harty Muli »

I appreciate this memoir from a veterinarian. I like his stories touching on different dogs he's come across. As a pet lover this will be a helpful book to read. Thanks for the review.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 700
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 71%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

Hi @MMcB, I just read your comments on the official review of "All for the Love of Dog" and I found this book to be a wonderful story that Ilona shares her personal experience with dogs throughout her career as an Animal Control Officer. I enjoyed every story from cover to cover. @Mrlefty0706
Miriam Ratemo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-ratemo.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S. Lee

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

I’ve always loved dogs and have had many, and know that they’re all different and have their own personalities and are not simply pieces of furniture. I’m so glad that someone has taken the time to write about them!
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 700
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 71%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

Hi @Miriam Ratemo, I just read your comments on the official review of "All for the Love of Dog" and I agree it was great that another dog lover wrote a book about dogs but this book is so much more. Ilona kept a journal of every dog she met, purchase or rescued and the book includes her journal and it is very entertaining and educational. It is sad to see people abuse animals or kill them like the South Dakota Governor Noem and sadly in many states there are no laws to protect dogs and other pets. Ilona was able to get a law passed in her county to protect dogs and the Fish and Wildlife Commission removed the law stating it was not necessary. The police seem to look the other way or they just do not care about animals. My wife and I have been dog lovers since we were young children and we have had four Beagles that have lived 10, 12 and 14 years with the best care possible. Our 4th Beagle Oliver is 10 years old and he ruptured a disk in his back when he was 2 years old that paralyzed him from the chest down. He had major back surgery and three years of therapy and has regained about 95% of his abilities. We love him so much we will do everything we can to give him the best life possible. Back surgery and therapy were very expensive, but we consider Oliver a family member and since the children are grown and married, he is like a child to us. I read the entire book and would like to see all dog lovers, dog trainers, animal control officers, police officers and breeders read this book because it would give them a whole new perspective on pets and their value to their owners and society. Oliver tweaked his back the day before Thanksgiving jumping off of the sofa and he spent Thanksgiving in the Emergency Pet Hospital. Fortunately, he only strained his back and the vet recommended that he not be allowed on the sofa for the rest of his life. My wife Ruthie went out and bought him his own mini sofa that sits less than one foot off the floor counting the cushion, and we have trained him that to get a treat he must go to his sofa. He no longer tries to go up on the human sofa and we hope this will extend his life. I hope you read the entire book. @Mrlefty0706

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”