Official Review: The bulletproof missionary by Keriz Rosado

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amber Churnick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: The bulletproof missionary by Keriz Rosado

Post by Amber Churnick »

The Bulletproof Missionary sounds like a pretty powerful book. Your review of this book put me in tears. The struggles Moon had faced in real life saddens me. Recently losing my Mom and no longer have parents has caused Moon's life hit hard with my heart. Interested in reading this book but might have to work on my grieving a bit more before diving into this story.
bangkit febrianto
Favorite Book: Ironbark Hill
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bangkit-febrianto.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by bangkit febrianto »

The challenges and rewards of a missionary's life are exemplified through Moon's conversion to Christianity under Vajda's influence. Moon's transformative impact on lives is commendable. The inspiring yet heartrending story showcases resilience and personal growth, narrated chronologically for an effortless read. Although not a Christian myself, I recognize its appeal to those who are. The book stands out for its candid portrayal of gang life, avoiding idealization, and instead offering an unvarnished glimpse into the gritty realities of crime and violence, making "The Bulletproof Missionary" a truly enlightening and authentic memoir that promises a unique reading experience.
Omobolanle Shittu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-shittu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Omobolanle Shittu »

Well done for this delightful review. This is the first time I'm coming across Missionary Moon. I am humbled by his lowly beginnings and gratified to see that the encounter with the Chaplain changed his life.
Sharon Dowdell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-dowdell.html
Latest Review: Party Wine by D.R. Ransdell

Post by Sharon Dowdell »

A story of the incredible journey of a young boy through the devastating loss of his family during the Korean war. After losing his beloved grandmother, his father sends a guide to help him get to his father, but the war has taken his father as well. he is left with nothing, living on the streets until he meets a kindly Chaplain who teaches him about Christianity. This changed his life, and propelled him toward his destiny. A truly inspiring story of strength, faith and dedication. After reading your review I want to this book to my reading list. Thank you for the excellent review. :)
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Stolen by Neil Edwin Fountaine
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Damian Keyes »

The fact that this is a real-life story, makes me love this story even more. The fact that Moon went through so much loss at a young age, while a war was going on makes me wonder what kept him going. I'm a Christian and I know how my faith has gotten me through some tough times in life, so I know Moon held tight to his faith as he went through his trauma.
Smrithi Arun
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

It is heartbreaking to know Moon had such a painful teenage life beyond anyone’s comprehension. I hope his story reaches more and more people. Since non-fiction and violence aren’t genres I can handle, I might skip this one. Congrats on the BOTD!
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Post by Amanda Warner »

I love memoirs, and I would love to read about Moon's life and how he found Chaplain Vajda, who converted him to Christianity. Congratulations on BOTD!
MMcB
Favorite Book: Island of Missing Trees
Currently Reading: The Elephant(s) in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmcb.html
Latest Review: Ungraduated by Ken Hannaman
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by MMcB »

A true life-story, *The Bulletproof Missionary* by Keriz Rosado, explains the like of the title character in chronological order. The geographical areas include North & South Korea up to and during WWII. The book explains the title as it outlines the facts that Moon had to dodge bullets and he also became a missionary.
If you're going through hell, keep going.
~ Sir Winston Churchill
Sarah Kate Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-kate-smith.html
Latest Review: Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S.Lee

Post by Sarah Kate Smith »

I'm challenged by Moon's life changes; despite what he faced and how he lost those who cared for and loved him, he still found peace and accepted a new religion, which was Christianity.
Mari Inez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-inez.html
Latest Review: Break by Wes Grant

Post by Mari Inez »

This book sounds very interesting and I wonder how much the author explores Moon's early life. I am not usually a reader of books that have strong religious ties. However, this one calls my attention because of the character Moon. I am interested in reading about their life and introduction to Christianity.
Latest Review: Break by Wes Grant
Adekeye Hassan musab
Currently Reading: My Other Half
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adekeye-hassan-musab.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Adekeye Hassan musab »

Not my kind of genre of books as it sounds like a book that will be enjoyed by Christians. Thanks for the review. I will try to check it out to see if I might enjoy it.
Amos Osinya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amos-osinya.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Amos Osinya »

Moon's story is an inspirational story of hope. A story of 'from grass to grace'. As a victim of the world war, Moon ends up as a professor thanks to the chaplain who introduced him to Christianity. This is a story that inspires the poor and the challenged never to lose hope.
Taiwo_Olawoye
Currently Reading: OldEarth Aram Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1femi1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taiwo_Olawoye »

Moon's life experiences typify what many children are going through today. The chance to meet with Chaplain Vajda is the reason his story changed. The world needs more people like this chaplain. Thanks for the review.
Caroline Gardiner
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-gardiner.html
Latest Review: Parabolic Magnetic Key by Nicholas Wudtke

Post by Caroline Gardiner »

From your review this sounds like a fascinating biography of someone who came from somewhere most of know little about. It's also interesting to see how a person from such a particular background turns out. Hopefully the sadness Moon suffered so early in life would help build resilience in later years.
Mayang Bature
Favorite Book: On the Precipice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Mayang Bature »

Moon had a very eventful life. I can see why the title is befitting for the novel. Despite all his hardships though, he never gave up. I like that in a story.
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”