Official Review: Say My Name by Vickey Robinson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Moisés Alcántara Ayre
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mois-s-alc-ntara-ayre.html
Latest Review: Making Life-Changing Decisions by Victor Chukwu

Re: Official Review: Say My Name by Vickey Robinson

Post by Moisés Alcántara Ayre »

I'm interested in starting reading "Say My Name: Thoughts Of One Black Woman." It seems to revolve around a central question: Will discrimination ever stop? And the other critical aspect is how the book describes Black American history so that we come to a much clearer understanding of how things came to be as they are nowadays.
Nancy004
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: Sister B by David Charles Hart

Post by Nancy004 »

Vickey Robinson's book delves into Black American history, presenting an honest and thought-provoking narrative. Her use of pictures and poetry enhances the storytelling, allowing readers to vividly connect with the events she describes. This book is a valuable resource for those interested in civil rights and discrimination issues.
Sylvia David 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sylvia David 1 »

I think this book contain more valuable topics that not only affect black people in America but all black people around the world .i would really love it
Munmun Samanta
Favorite Book: A Walk in the Twilight
Currently Reading: Kantara
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-munmun-samanta.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books A Second Kiss Goodnight (A Bedtime Story) by Steve William Laible

Post by Munmun Samanta »

Racial bigotry is a recurrent theme of literature. The review acquainted us with Vicky Robinson's contemplation on society torn by colour discrimination. I am reading this book.
Mildred Amaniampong Pokuaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-amaniampong-pokuaa.html
Latest Review: The Reverend Psychopath by Dr Andrew Rynne

Post by Mildred Amaniampong Pokuaa »

I applaud Ms. Vickey Robinson's fairly in providing precise information concerning Black American history. Ms. Vickey Robinson description in the book. I feel her anger with our governmental system and the fear she has for Black Americans, not only because of unequal opportunities but also for their lives.
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Last Rhino: An African Wildlife Adventure by David Mark Quigley

Post by Seetha E »

I have read a few chapters and can sense the genuineness of the author. It will be an invaluable resource for both children and adults to learn about and comprehend the methodical exclusion of people based on their skin color. I appreciate Bertha giving such a clear description. A pleasure to read your review. We appreciate the author's decision to write on this topic. Congrats on winning BOTD!
Shneka Karthick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shneka-karthick.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Shneka Karthick »

Book seems quite thought provoking. Being an Indian never knew the full extent of black discrimination and have always wanted to know the full extent of it( not the media portrayal). Seems like a credible book to learn about it!
Samina Moiyadi
Favorite Book: Unlight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samina-moiyadi.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Samina Moiyadi »

Say My Name is a fascinating title. The review is nice. I agree that a person is entitled to their views on the topic of oppression of Black Americans. I always feel that it is more difficult to write about our own lives especially if there is so much baggage. It is incredible if the author has managed to wow the readers with the writing.
Congratulations!
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

This sounds an interesting read. I've heard of it, but now I've read your review I shall order it from my local library. Black history is something that we should all learn more about. Slavery has repercussions right up to the present day.
Hy Be
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hy-be.html
Latest Review: A Mingled Yarn by Louise Williams

Post by Hy Be »

Amazing review without spoilers. You did great job in portraying plot of the story along with praising author writing skills in a way which intrigued me to grab this book immediately.
hugsforkoo
Favorite Book: The Scottish Boy
Currently Reading: Death on the Nile
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by hugsforkoo »

With its historical elements this is definitely a must-read for me and I cannot wait to finish what I'm reading right now and start with this. thank you for a great review!
Elizabeth McNutt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N)
Currently Reading: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-mcnutt.html
Latest Review: Fantasy Realms Coloring Book by Carolina Mattos Alvarado and Steven A Ridder
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Elizabeth McNutt »

This review illuminates the candid look through the author's own works. The writings help to solidify the systemic racism that has plagued us since the Civil Rights movement and in our history. This is a great personal exposure to that part of our history for those willing to listen.
Elizabeth McNutt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N)
Currently Reading: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-mcnutt.html
Latest Review: Fantasy Realms Coloring Book by Carolina Mattos Alvarado and Steven A Ridder
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Elizabeth McNutt »

This review illuminates the candid look through the author's own works. The writings help to solidify the systemic racism that has plagued us since the Civil Rights movement and in our history. This is a great personal exposure to that part of our history for those willing to listen.
Jnapika D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnapika-d.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Jnapika D »

This book feels like it deals with some hard-hitting real-life topics. I would love to know how the author portrayed black history and discrimination in America.
Kristine Mariel Diaz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 277
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine-mariel-diaz.html
Latest Review: La alambrada by José Marzo

Post by Kristine Mariel Diaz »

Millions of people find discrimination to be a very sensitive subject, making books like this one that are frank about the issue all the more important to help us see things clearly and start making changes in our society.
Normally, I don't like reading books with photos or photographs, but I've lately learned that doing so makes it easier for readers to relate to the author's viewpoint, particularly in biographical or historical works.
I want my kids to read this book so that future generations can recognize these challenges.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”