Featured Official Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream [July 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Noel Mmbone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Featured Official Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream [July 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by Noel Mmbone »

Dr Douglas depicts his past ,in the time where black men faced colonial error as recorded in history.Through his prologue he gives a clear description of his past life and his journey to success during the colonial error.
Quoting the similarity Dr Martin Luther King's , quotes,to his life giving a brief touch of Dr Martin's assassination during the pick of justice for black people.
Through out Dr Douglas narration,he gives the audience a clear vivid picture of his background, family and personality , pointing towards poverty and hardship during the colonial rule.He also displays a vision of hope forcusing on the future through his hardwork.
Dr Douglas also gives a clear picture of his love for books becoming an academic giant, though he faced lot of hardship due to age and poverty he still pushed himself to great heights.
Dr Douglas depicts a disturbing picture of racism, hypocrisy, criticism and political dispute in British Guiana.He also mentions the racial tension in US leading to lost identity hence clearly interpreting the black man hardship in US.
I loved the author's description very clear and smooth though his work targets a particular audience giving a brief history of colonial error hence clear and straight forward to one particular audience.
However I didn't not love his work as much because it was too brief and open giving me a clear picture though his editing was truly flawless and smooth,due to the following reasons I would rate his work a three star out of five.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

The prologue is enough to come to my conclusion that I want to read this eye-opening autobiography. When the author asks why there is favoritism in this world, this ignites me that this will be a heart-touching reading experience. The author was discriminated against because of his color and ethnicity, which was unfair. I like to discover how the author deals with his life in a new environment full of criticism, and how he succeeded! Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
NadiaBoateng
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadiaboateng.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by NadiaBoateng »

Even though his life was full of ups and downs, the author still wrote a book to inspire people.
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

Racial discrimination and ethnic identity are topics that I love to read about as it opens my eyes to what’s happening in our world. The author’s resilience and perseverance are noteworthy.
Blessing onyiyechi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-onyiyechi.html
Latest Review: Running into God by Roy M. Oswald

Post by Blessing onyiyechi »

This book is an amazing one that tells us about the issue of racial discrimination. I learned from Douglas, that there is always hope when it seems like what we planned is not what we are seeing. Nice review.
Max Tiffany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tiffany.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Max Tiffany »

The author experienced racism but he didn't let that stop him from achieving his dream and making an impact on the world. Congrats on BOTD
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

I am very glad that all those obstacles didn't stop the author in pursuit of his dreams. We live in a society where persons of certain backgrounds ethnic groups keep proving themselves as though it isn't clear to see them for their genuine traits and talents.
azza lia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azza-lia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by azza lia »

I like this kind of story. The one that instills a spirit of hope. An inspirational yet relatable experience that raise awareness, overcome the challenges, and succeeding against all odds. But I don't really enjoy reading memoirs. Thank you for a nice review.
Bethany Kroeger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethany-kroeger.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Bethany Kroeger »

Dr. Douglas' memoir seems nothing short of inspiring. He seems like an incredible and well-learned man. His memoir attacks the serious issue of racial discrimination and shows how he had to overcome multiple obstacles in both his life and his career. I will be adding this to my want to read list. Great review and congrats on BOTD!
Nichole Mehlhaff-Hamilton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Nichole Mehlhaff-Hamilton »

Reading this review made me want to read this whole book! I even added it to my goodreads profile. The author of this review spoke to the central themes of racial discrimination and "ethnicity-based favoritism" illustrated in Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream and, while those topics weigh on me personally as a woman of color in higher education, I am excited to read this memoir further. This review describes a "culture shock" that the author experienced and I too experienced culture shocks in my life due to race and racism. It makes me wonder, how much of this tory will resonate with me? How many feelings will I share? Based on this review, it seems that there is a sense of hope instilled in the book, despite unfair circumstances and findings revealed in the authors research at Johns Hopkins. That in and of itself makes me excited to read this book as well; I hope that I feel as powerfully motivated by this piece as the reviewer...
Sarah Kate Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-kate-smith.html
Latest Review: Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S.Lee

Post by Sarah Kate Smith »

Dr. Douglas' memoir shows why everyone deserves equal rights despite tribes, color, or religious background. I acknowledged Dr. Douglas' perseverance through all his life struggles. Congratulations on BOTD!
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: Behind The Wheel Tips by Raoul Watson

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

I like that the author didn't give up on himself and overcame all that life brought on his way. Wonderful book, congratulations on botd!
Ma Leonarda Castañares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-leonarda-casta-ares.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Ma Leonarda Castañares »

I agree, being an exchange student is no easy. I am curious how did Douglas cope with the culture shock and racial discrimination. I wish he persevered. Congrats on BOTD!
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Sophia Mcpherson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-mcpherson.html
Latest Review: Let it Be by Thomas Grady
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Sophia Mcpherson »

Dr. Frank L. Douglas shares his personal journey in his memoir, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream," which recounts his scholarship journey from British Guiana to the U.S., where he studied at Lehigh University and Cornell University Medical School
HEPBURNS RECORDS
Currently Reading: Kaleidoscopic Shades
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hepburns-records.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by HEPBURNS RECORDS »

This review of "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" highlights the author passionate memoir of his journey through racial discrimination in educational institutions and business organizations in the U.S. Despite the obstacles he faced, the memoir instills a spirit of hope and resilience. The author honesty and directness in writing adds confidence to his perspective, although some readers may find the technical descriptions in the book overwhelming. Overall, it's a highly recommended read for memoir enthusiasts interested in personal and ethnic identity and racial discrimination.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”