Official Review: Except the Lord Build the House

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3047
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Duck Blinds I Have Known by Donny McElvoy

Official Review: Except the Lord Build the House

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Except the Lord Build the House" by Norman Eberly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Except the Lord Build the House: A Biblical Examination of the Return of Jesus Christ and the Rapture of His Church was authored by Norman Eberly. It is 314 pages long and was published by AuthorHouse in 2019. The book is divided into three parts and comprises 39 chapters. The author has examined a subject that is endlessly debated by theologians, teachers, and Bible students and has at times generated controversies. Here, the emphasis is not on the time but the sequence of events as drawn from the Bible. The author employs the analogy of constructing a house to discuss many views concerning the Great Tribulation and the Rapture.

I supposed the fact that the author had taken almost twenty-two years was intriguing enough until I read the entire book. The book not only supports ‘Post-tribulation Rapture’ but also presents sufficient evidence from the Old Testament, the words of Jesus, and also several other books from the New Testament. The author, therefore, helps the reader to raise the question concerning the other views on the Rapture, like Pre-tribulation and Mid-tribulation. This question is also handled through the provision and examination of historical facts and writings.

One fact the author acknowledged is the interpretation of the Bible has always been a significant cause of division. Personal interpretations have been given greater emphasis than the literal Bible quotations themselves and thus resulting in erroneous and divisive teachings in the Church. The author places central emphasis on the scripture and makes it the premise of his discourse. One way he attempted to correctly interpret the scripture was by defining several terminologies relating to the Rapture and the return of Christ through the use of their original Greek terminologies.

This book proved to be a valuable resource when it comes to eschatological teachings. The author showed how strange teachings that are unsound biblically can be generated through the reliance on personal interpretations of the Bible. What I liked most was the fact that he not only disapproved of other theories but also enabled me to know how to interpret scripture. The latter is what I appreciated most as the lesson applies to more areas and so will aid readers to know what is biblically sound and what is not. The historical facts and events in the book were equally compelling. There is so much I learned that I did not know before reading the book. The only thing I disliked was the use of the words ‘this author’ to express the author’s points. This was a personal preference, though, and in this way, I believe it will not detract from the overall enjoyment of the book.

The book was professionally edited because I did not discover any grammatical errors. The language used was also straightforward, and the author provided adequate arguments to support his points. Consequently, I heartily rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to all students of the Bible, theologians, and every other Christian as well. It will appeal most to those who want to learn more about the doctrine of Post-tribulation Rapture. The book may be unsuitable for readers who are averse to biblical eschatological teaching.

Except the Lord Build the House
View: on Bookshelves
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: Nathan Turner and the New World Order
Bookshelf Size: 1720
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Post by GiselleBengochea »

:tiphat: Except the Lord Build the House by Norman Eberly, expounds on eschatology and investigates topics like the Great Tribulation and the Rapture of the Church of Jesus Christ. This book provides a valuable resource to anyone who is interested in strengthening their relationship with Jesus. Excellent review!
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

Rapture has always been a complex topic to discuss among Christians. I'm sure this author has also shared his own opinion concerning the topic. Would love to read through.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

Good! I love book on religious teachings. Your review raised my interest the more. Good job on your detailed review
Zazaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zazaa.html
Latest Review: A Little Lost A Little Found by HM Irwing

Post by Zazaa »

I love books on eschatological teachings and your review makes this book appealing. Good work on your nice review.
Irene_A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Irene_A »

Interesting! If it helps improve my interpretation of the bible, then I'd love to read it. Thanks for the review.
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

Thanks for the great review! This is definitely a hot button issue in some circles, so I appreciate that the author took 22 years to write this. I can imagine that it could even take a lifetime of study to even have a “decent” understanding. I certainly could use some more research on the topic myself, so I might give this book a try!
summerday307
Favorite Book: A Rose Blooms Twice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summerday307.html
Latest Review: Hearts Set Free by Jess Lederman

Post by summerday307 »

Your review of this book actually made me want to read it. The rapture is definitely a hot topic for Christians and this book sounds very interesting.
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

Great review! I hope to read this book soon. I love the fact that it expounds on Biblical passages and teachings.
Edwin Amah
Currently Reading: Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edwin-amah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Edwin Amah »

Discussions about rapture has always been a battled one. A lot of people with different personal opinions. I think the Bible explains all we need to understand about rapture and tribulation. The author used the scripture to explain that too and I recommend this to everyone who is really interested in knowing the events of the last days.

Excellent Review.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

This book has a very unique concept. Thanks for the amazing review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”