Official Review: Gospel King James Version Americanized

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Gospel King James Version Americanized

Post by Melisa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gospel King James Version Americanized" by Betty Lee.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For Christians, the Bible is the most important book. It is the only means through which God communicates to them. For this reason, there is a need to retain the original meaning of each verse, even with the emergence of numerous biblical versions. To many people, the King James Version of the Bible feels original and impactful. Gospel King James Version Americanized by Betty Lee is a rewritten version of the King James Version. It primarily replaces the old English words with the modern version of them.

With 195 pages, this book comprises the four Gospel accounts in the New Testament: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. The author keeps most of the original contents of these books, only changing the words which are no longer used in American English. Apart from changing the obsolete words, the author also adds some footnotes, each time scripture is referred to. These footnotes contain the book, the chapter, and the verse from which the scripture is taken.

Each of these Gospels narrates about the life of Jesus Christ. According to each of them, Jesus was born of a virgin, Mary. He is a descendant of King David of Israel. After Jesus was born in Bethlehem, King Herod felt threatened. He ordered the killing of infants throughout his kingdom. God, through a dream, instructed Joseph to flee Israel for Egypt for the safety of the baby. After Herod had died, Joseph came back to Israel. Jesus, after being baptized, started his mission. He performed several miracles, including healing and casting out demons. However, he was later crucified on a cross. On the third day, he rose from the dead and ascended to heaven.

I liked that, after each quoted scripture, the author includes its original location in the Bible. For example, when Jesus went for fasting in the wilderness, the devil tempted him, quoting several scriptures. Jesus also countered his temptations by quoting some other scriptures. The author highlights these quotes and shows the reader their exact location in the Bible. The author also keeps most of the original words used in the Bible and only changes some of them when necessary. This ensures that the meaning of these words is not altered. Since I didn’t find any grammatical errors throughout my reading, this book was exceptionally edited.

The only thing I disliked is that the author attempts to keep the verses as they are, even after altering some words. The effect of this is that some verses made little sense after some words were altered. For example, Matthew 3:3 (KJV) says,
For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
The author, in this book, changed the word “ye” to “you” without altering the structure of the verse. It, therefore, reads:
For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah, saying, “The voice of one crying in the wilderness, ‘Prepare you the way of the Lord! Make his paths straight!’”
As you may have noticed, the resultant sentence doesn’t make as much sense as the original one.

Although there are a few sentences that need some adjustments, the author did a marvelous job of updating the Bible. Since my reading wasn’t affected by the aforementioned dislike, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading the King James Version of the Bible, but find it hard to interpret the old English words. However, the book is only for the Christian faithful. Those of other religions may not find it useful.

Gospel King James Version Americanized
View: on Bookshelves
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: Nathan Turner and the New World Order
Bookshelf Size: 1720
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Post by GiselleBengochea »

You did an excellent job in the promotion of this book. Great review! This is definitely a book worth reading,!
Reubeney
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reubeney.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by Reubeney »

I think the author has done quite a commendable job. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your insightful comments about this book. I agree with the example you gave that some of the changes still need more refinement. This is an interesting way to get the Bible into the hands and minds of more people. Great review.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

This review states that the bible is the only way that God communicates with Christians. If that is what the author stated, it is a false assertion. Having said that, I'm a fan of the King James Version of the bible as well, but I'd like to see what the author did with it in this book. Nice review.
Jlblawrence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlblawrence.html
Latest Review: We Don't Just Eat Lettuce! by Allyn Raifstanger

Post by Jlblawrence »

I didn't know this was a genre for an author to pursue! How interesting. Thank you for the review!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 380
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Know Your Buyer! by D.L. Andrews
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

The English in the KJV is quite similar to that in Shakespeare, I realize - so it can be hard to understand. The author had a great idea here, and it sounds as if she mostly pulled it off! Great review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: I Have Proof of a Higher Power by Ioan Dirina

Post by Harty Muli »

I like the helpful review on the most widely read and sold book in human history. I`ll sure check out this version of the Holy Scriptures. Thanks for the review.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I've been hoping that someone translates this version to an understandable one. I'm looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Melisa Jane
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Melisa Jane »

GiselleBengochea wrote: 27 May 2020, 01:48 You did an excellent job in the promotion of this book. Great review! This is definitely a book worth reading,!
Thanks for leaving a comment.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen

~ Scott Hughes
Melisa Jane

Post by Melisa Jane »

Reubeney wrote: 27 May 2020, 05:46 I think the author has done quite a commendable job. Thanks for the review.
Yes he has. Thanks for the comment.

~ Scott Hughes
Melisa Jane

Post by Melisa Jane »

kdstrack wrote: 27 May 2020, 07:29 I enjoyed your insightful comments about this book. I agree with the example you gave that some of the changes still need more refinement. This is an interesting way to get the Bible into the hands and minds of more people. Great review.
Thanks for your kind words.

~ Scott Hughes
Melisa Jane

Post by Melisa Jane »

Jachike Samuelson wrote: 27 May 2020, 21:32 This review states that the bible is the only way that God communicates with Christians. If that is what the author stated, it is a false assertion. Having said that, I'm a fan of the King James Version of the bible as well, but I'd like to see what the author did with it in this book. Nice review.
No, those are my personal statements. I apologise for any inconveniences. Thanks for the comments.

~ Scott Hughes
Melisa Jane

Post by Melisa Jane »

Jlblawrence wrote: 27 May 2020, 23:36 I didn't know this was a genre for an author to pursue! How interesting. Thank you for the review!
Thanks for the kind words.

~ Scott Hughes
Melisa Jane

Post by Melisa Jane »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 28 May 2020, 08:11 The English in the KJV is quite similar to that in Shakespeare, I realize - so it can be hard to understand. The author had a great idea here, and it sounds as if she mostly pulled it off! Great review.
Thanks for stopping by.

~ Scott Hughes

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”