Official Review: LIFE'S Darkest Disease by Bill Brokaw

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: LIFE'S Darkest Disease by Bill Brokaw

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "LIFE'S Darkest Disease" by Bill Brokaw.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life's Darkest Disease by Bill Brokaw is a fully-inclusive dive into the challenges during the everyday life of a caregiver. Published in 2019 by Christian Faith Publishing, Life's Darkest Disease features journal entries written by the author to help detail the daily struggles that come into play while his wife, Pat, is battling a debilitating disease, Alzheimer's.

The journal entries help to offer a timeline to the decline in Pat's memory and take place over a period of four years. Although an unfortunate and devastating illness to experience by both the patient and the caregiver/loved one, the expectations for the disease would likely be harder to anticipate without the inside information Bill offers in his story. Bill's consideration and love for his ailing wife are displayed prominently in the story, while also expressing his concern for the best care he can find for her.

Ranging from experiences in their day to day lives, to sharing information given by medical professionals, to insightful information on financial assistance and housing, Bill covers all aspects that could be beneficial for planning ahead. He expresses his hope that his insightful, first-hand experience will help other caregivers in their attempt at offering the safest and most comforting experience for their loved ones.

Before reading Life's Darkest Disease, I would have easily said I was familiar with the effects and complications that come along with dementia and Alzheimer's Disease. I've watched television shows and movies that depict the disease and thought I knew most of what there was to know. However, after reading about Pat and Bill, I'm more aware than ever regarding the complications that come with not only being confined by the disease but also having to witness the deterioration of a loved one. The once desired independence that was easily held in their household of two changes abruptly with the fast-paced advancement of her illness. Although the stress is unimaginable, Bill's patience for his wife and their new life is admirable throughout.

I'm pleased to rate Life's Darkest Disease by Bill Brokaw 4 out of 4 stars and would gladly recommend it to readers who are looking for informational guidance through the Alzheimer's journey, as well as emotional comfort during the trying times. I found Bill's advice and information to be realistic and honest throughout his story. Although he shares with readers the difficulties that come with being a caregiver, his love for Pat shines through with his nurturing ways. I was also pleased with the editing for the story as I found no grammatical or spelling errors while reading.

LIFE'S Darkest Disease
View: on Bookshelves
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Edwin Amah
Currently Reading: Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edwin-amah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Edwin Amah »

The review entails more about how the author simplified knowledge on how to go through the phase of watching a sick loved one move from normal to worse. Also the author tried explaining from his personal experience how patience becomes a great virtue in trying times.

It is a perfect book for caregivers who are made to watch over someone they love go through deadly sicknesses.
Gracious Ngy88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Gracious Ngy88 »

The pain of watching a loved ones health deteriorate is not always easy to bear. Your detailed review makes me want to read more.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

Alzheimer's is one of the world's most subtle yet deadly diseases. I'd like to learn more about it from someone who has experienced its pain firsthand. Sounds like a good book.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

This is such a heart-breaking topic. I am not sure if I could bare to read this book, I get just too emotional with the injustice of someone having to live with this horrifying disease. Thanks for a very nice review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Anindita Roy
Currently Reading: The God of Small Things

Post by Anindita Roy »

Thank you for the brilliant review. Although the story seems to be too emotional and overwhelming, "LIFE'S Darkest Disease" is definitely going to grant you strength and support during your hard times. The story is heart-wrenching and realistic to the core. There is so much to learn from this book.
Chimdi_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdi-3.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Chimdi_3 »

This story is very emotional, it's hard to imagine the pain Bill went through during his wife's illness.He still found the strenght and courage to stay by her side while offering his love and care.Very good review.
Julyet_Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julyet-chris.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Julyet_Chris »

Despite being a sad story,This book has a very good plot and is very educative,I’ll learn more about alzheimer.
The strength,Patience and hope projected by this book is unrivaled and I recommend this book to everyone, it’s a must read.

A terrific review 👍🏼
Yvonne 2305 +++
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Yvonne 2305 +++ »

I have not yet read the book, but from simply reviewing the comments made, I must day that I am quick intrigued and interested in reading the entire book.
I also must mentioned that dome ofy favorite reading materials are based on medical information and real life issues.
But I do enjoy reading a lot.
Okpako Ovie Wisdom
Currently Reading: The Power Of A Mother
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okpako-ovie-wisdom.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Okpako Ovie Wisdom »

This is a book i will love to read due to my familiarity with a similar disease that affects the brain to make the sick one loss part of their memory.
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

I've been a student of psychology and I think it might be an interesting read for me. Seems like an enlightening book. Thanks for the review.
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Thank you all for checking it out! Although it's definitely a super emotional read, it's a fantastic insight to the disease.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”